The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Has Anybody Used a Lane Shark or Similar?  (Read 3656 times)

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Has Anybody Used a Lane Shark or Similar?
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2021, 04:15:50 AM »
Just noticed your price points. These ones I posted are definitely out of your budget 

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2021, 08:08:23 AM »
The Samuri, it looks nice, I'm surprised it'll cut 1.5 inches, thats most of what I have, some bigger some smaller.  What happens if I get into a limb that it won't cut, will it bend if I don't stop the tractor fast enough?  Thats one of the scenarios I'm really looking at, the sure to happen, "Oops that limb is too big" kind of thing.  

My tractor is hydraulic clutch, shuttle shift, but its not a hydrostatic variable drive.  So every time I have to go from forward to reverse, I have too clutch, although with the shuttle shift its not too bad.  I just don't want to have to do it 10,000 times in a day.

I'm stay in the $5K range, because since I don't know if any of these contraptions work, I don't want to spend a lot of money on a waste of time.  Also, with the mods to my tractor, that's probably another $500 to $1,000 itself.  My tractor comes with every kind of hydraulic system known to man, except.....direct drain to the reservoir.  I'll need two more hoses run to the loader, clips, clamps, fittings, disconnects, etc.  That stuff adds up real fast.

I have also been looking at a "Limb Beaver." They seem pretty good, and I'm seeing some of them on auction sites, but they look kind of "stale" like they aren't a very active company and not a lot of products sold, so it may haver some issues.

Limb Beaver Ultimate Brush Cutter & Tree Trimmer[3525-Limb%20Beaver%20T1%20Tractor%20Model]/0/

There are some things about the Lane Shark I don't like, one is that it doesn't haver a stump jumper disk, its just got a piece of channel to hold the blades.  Some of the copy cat models do have stump jumpers, but are also made extremely heavy, more for ground work than side trimming work.  It also doesn't have hydraulic angle shift which would be very easy to do with my tractor, as I already haver third function plumbed in.

I haven't seen any under $5K smallish side mount mulching heads, I think that would be best for all sizes of vertical trimming and wouldn't throw debris as far.  

I'm still looking and searching, but the Lane Shark seems to have both good and bad.  I'm also trying to balance strength vs light weight.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won’t roll, its not a log; it’s still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they’re burned, and you can’t fix them.  Don’t burn the cookies.

Offline farmfromkansas

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2021, 01:21:05 PM »
I added a hydraulic dump valve to my JD 4450, had a plug you could remove and put a nipple and a hydraulic connector to it.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Online stavebuyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2021, 04:39:58 PM »
For encroaching limbs only; this deal looks pretty bullet proof

Stout Trail Blazer. Self contained gas running circle saw blades.

STOUT DESIGNS, LLC – TRAILBLAZER TB-2021 – OVERHANGING LIMB AND BRUSH CUTTER (stoutdesignsllc.com)

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2021, 08:07:09 PM »
YellowHammer,

A buddy of mine just had to reclaim 3 old hay field / pastures. He was able to rent a small Bobcat excavator for a long weekend that had a small cutter head on it. he used it to get both sides of his fence line.  It wasn't cheap, BUT, he did a neighbors long driveway while he had the unit and that paid for half the rental!!!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2021, 08:22:24 PM »
Another video of the Stout.. 
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2021, 09:01:04 PM »
Probably not the answer here. I mow old fields with an IH 100 series [110] side mounted balanced sickle bar [7'] that will mow vertical and cut 1" branches without damage. This mower was available with a 9' bar also.

Offline dogone

• Just beginning and lots to learn
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2021, 11:43:05 PM »
Yellowhammer: The samurai will cut 1 1/2 inch or slightly bigger but I have to stop and chew through it. My tractor has a clutch so just stop while it’s chewing. The first cut on a hedge is the slowest as there are more big branch’s. Following years are just regrowth so much faster.

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2021, 11:52:20 PM »
Does the samurai have a "break away" on the mount or spring back in some way to prevent bending it?

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2021, 11:03:01 AM »
@YellowHammer 
BeaverTechUSA
Looks nice 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2021, 07:02:57 PM »
@Bruno of NH 

I had not seen that one, it looks cool.  I called them today, interestingly enough, it's a 4 knife planer head mounted on a frame.  Its about $10K delivered.  The drawback is that the sales guy said it didn't cut grass, and long flexible grass, such as Johnson grass and briers may wrap and clog the head.  It apparently works well on brush.

YellowHammerisms:

If it won’t roll, its not a log; it’s still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they’re burned, and you can’t fix them.  Don’t burn the cookies.

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2021, 08:00:36 PM »
I'm going to be in the market for something like this next year. 
I'm buying my uncle's kubota next year when he moves full time to Nevada.
I want to do the same as you , cut grasses,  brush and limbs
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline dogone

• Share Post
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2021, 12:01:17 AM »
    Hilltop 336
The samurai doesn’t have a breakaway. Not been an issue as you can see what is being cut and slow down or stop and whittle through. 

Offline dogone

• Share Post
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2021, 12:06:11 AM »
    The samurai has no breakaway. But any branch that is cuttable will also bend. You have lots of time to stop and chew, no need to back up usually

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2021, 12:35:47 PM »
@dogone Will the samurai knaw through bigger branches, or will it just not feed them into the teeth?  I have lots of 2” and 3” also, mostly 2” I would guess. 

Apparently, Lane Shark is now being distributed by John Deere, so I called up my local Deere dealer and they quoted a price maybe $1500 dollars more than advertised, they said it was the installed cost.  

When I talked to dealer however, he was very hesitant to say this was the product I needed.  In fact, he said these are better suited to smaller compact tractors, and are fairly lightweight and wasn’t sure they could handle more than “occasional” or “light use.”  His words, not mine.  He said he would sell me one, but wasn’t sure it was what I should be buying.  Honesty is the best policy.  
YellowHammerisms:

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2021, 01:11:43 PM »
Robert, with that Stout-Trailblazer thing, wait till you hit a big guinea wasp nest  :D :D :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Online stavebuyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2021, 02:36:00 PM »
Does the samurai have a "break away" on the mount or spring back in some way to prevent bending it?
@Hilltop366 From the Samurai website it appears the "deluxe" mount now offered for $100 more has a breakaway feature. After looking at all the options I am going to order a Samurai to try out on my little NH T1520 35hp Hydro. For the money it will be worth it as a bank/ditch mower even it won't handle all the branches I might like to cut.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2021, 08:29:45 PM »
@stavebuyer 
That is great.  I can’t wait to find out how it works out.  Will you need to plumb in the case drain or make other mods to your hydraulic system?  I wish Samuri made the “Big Dog” version, cutting 2 to 3 inch.  

When I was asking the John Deere dealer about any kind of warranty with the Laneshark, he said, yeah, Laneshark comes with a warranty.  When I asked him if I broke it somehow cutting into too large a limb, would that be covered?  He said, no, that would not be covered, it would be under the abuse clause.   :(

So I asked him how I would know if a limb was too big??  He said, and I quote “When you tear something up.” :D :D  

So I want to avoid that.

@WDH
I have hit some doozies, but yeah, that doesn’t sound fun.  I’ve had some yellowjackets pop and bounce off the cab glass, but none have ever gotten in.
YellowHammerisms:

Offline dogone

• Share Post
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2021, 10:23:35 PM »
    The samurai will not do 3 inch at all. Just plug hoses right in to take outs. Using it on side of bucket will work but obscures the view. I built a bracket to set about two feet off side of bucket. Mine is first generation, break away is new option but I think if you need it you are moving to fast.

Offline farmfromkansas

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2021, 10:41:55 PM »
YH, think you need a tree saw.  Douglas welding and machine has some.  You can google them.  There are several others, a neighbor has a heavy duty one he is going to let neighbors demo, but don't think my Case 60xt will handle one.  Need about the biggest model skidsteer you can buy to operate a big saw. Maybe someone sells a saw for a small tractor.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Shark falls from the Sky onto Golf Course

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD on The Outdoor Board

1 Replies
Last post October 26, 2012, 07:38:22 PM
by clww
xx
Unusual request- shark teeth

Started by Daren on General Board

14 Replies
Last post August 09, 2005, 08:49:18 PM
by Daren
xx
Similar to cedar

Started by etroup10 on Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

2 Replies
Last post August 16, 2017, 11:38:34 AM
by DanG
xx
hello, and looking for saw comparisons, 441, 461, similar saws any brand

Started by shootingarts on Chainsaws

17 Replies
Last post November 06, 2013, 08:42:43 PM
by shootingarts