iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Racoons and bears working together?

Started by Crusarius, September 18, 2021, 09:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

Could it be true?

Last night, getting ready for bed, one of the cats was sitting on the bed looking at the window very nervously. I had the fan in the window so thought nothing of it. Until, another cat joined in. Then there was a strange thump...

My first reaction, "darn racoons are back again". So I went over to the window [inject side story here] I live on 10 acres in the woods with 300 acres of forever wild around me. It is quite dark. So all of my floodlights on the house are terrible. So I ended up buying some 12" offroad LED lightbars. Being a computer junky I have a ton of PC power supplies laying around. So I put the two together to make the best floodlight around for less than $20 [end side story injection] then I turned on the floodlight. My reaction must have been priceless.

"oh sh**, its a bear!"

so my guess is since I had chased the racoons off so many times, and we started bringing bird feeders in at night the racoons were unhappy with us. They knew about the metal can filled with birdseed on the deck that also has a metal chain on the lid. The racoons have not been able to beat the lock. So I am pretty confident they employed the services of the bear to crack the safe and allow them access.

The bear came back two times that I know of. The bears plan failed and the racoons plot was foiled.

This is the view from my bedroom window. The bear was up on the deck at the silver buffet table at the corner of the gazebo.

thecfarm

Looks like a good size bear.
I had a bear at the bird feeder a few times, feeder is only 10 feet from the house. I got up one morning and the bear was out there. I woke up the wife to see it. All was well for about a minute, than the bear took a paw at the feeder. I started to open the door. I hardly had the door cracked 2 inches and that bear was gone!! Took off running. Kinda eerie, every time that bear hit the ground, we could feel it in the house.
I can send my Grandson over to help you thin them out.  ;D
Better bring that can inside for a few weeks.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GRANITEstateMP

Dang Bears and Raccoons working together!  This isn't good, what are we in store for next ;D

Crusarius, any chance he had just taken a ride down that yellow slide in the pic and maybe he wasn't working with the raccoons??!

We had a bear on the front porch one time. It's a 6ft wide porch.  He removed a suet feeder and was having a snack. He was sprawled out on the porch, nose and head up next to the house, rearend was kinda hanging out in space.  They are impressive creatures, and like Cfarm said, they can RUN when they are spooked.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Crusarius

This one was very docile. I spent some time chatting with him when I went out on the deck. Took me finally yelling at him and clapping my hands to get him to leave. He was just standing there waiting for me to leave. He did come back a while later for a second attempt that was foiled again :)

Beautiful animal, looked very healthy, super shiny and full fur.

thecfarm

Kinda concerned, As I said, I barely had the door cracked and that bear was gone. It had a good fear of humans.  
Does that bear? Don't sound that way to me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Resonator

Maybe he was looking for the bare necessities? ???
The simple bare necessities, forget about your worries and your strife.
I mean the bear necessities, that's why a bear can rest at ease, with just the bare necessities of life. ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

samandothers

So the flood lights, 12 V dc I assume.  I would not have expected the PC supplies to have similar voltage or power/current capacity.  

Crusarius

PC power supplies have 3v, 5v, and 12v outputs. work great for a lot of things. Those flood lights are the LED's that range from I think 8 volts to 24 volts DC. They work great on 12V. 

Cfarm, that bear had no fear of me. Just got nervous when I started clapping my hands. I am confident he has been shot at plenty of times. I try not to shoot if I can scare them off other ways.

He did not return last night. Least not that I know of. I did notice saw bear claw scratches in my composite decking today.

HemlockKing

I get bears quite often(since I moved in the boonies), since my truck is right outside my bedroom, I keep the electronic lock on my table, when I see or hear a bear I just set my truck alarm horn off and off they go, it is seriously loud too.
A1

Thank You Sponsors!