iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hitch terms? Load cell?

Started by Satamax, September 17, 2021, 05:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody. Well, not so often i delve out of forestry and logging, or sawmills. 

I thought the question would be better placed here. 
I have a 3 ton trailer, that i haul woodworking machinery with, metalworking machinery too. Wood, and else. 

Yesterday, i went to pick up some wood from another sawmill, for a friend. Two trailer loads. And it was raining when they loaded the second load.  I didn't pay attention. And it was loaded way on the back. I got scared with the trailer navigating badly at the back. Drove at 40km/h till i saw a friend's kubota digger. I called him to know where were the keys. And moved the wood with it. 

On my land rover, i can't modify the ball side. It's a special molded iron piece. Made for the LR3. 

I was wondering, first of all, what is the word in english, for the part going over the ball, at the end of the trailer ? 

And i was wondering if anybody knew of a part like this, with an integrated load cell. Which could indicate the hitch weight. In this day and age, it must exist! Even better if it talks with the cell phone. 

Thanks a lot guys. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

doc henderson

it is a hitch coupler.  we have a range of receiver ball sizes that get larger for increase weight.  I think the cell you desire may be quite expensive to go on a trailer tongue over the road.  but I also do not know of one.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

mike_belben

Hitch coupler, ball coupler and tongue are pretty interchangeable.  Bulldog is a common brand.  Redneck trailer supply and etrailer.com are the places id call but i doubt that exists.  

Praise The Lord

Satamax

Thanks a lot guys. I'll have a look at what google says. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Satamax

Over here we have devices which attach between the ball and the hitch receiver. costs zilch, 30 dolls may be. But it's unpratical on uneven ground.

SawyerTed

Weigh Safe makes a variety of devices to weigh the trailer tongue.  Some are integrated into the ball mount and others are integrated into a stand alone device that you lower the tongue coupler onto.  

I think someone mentioned a eTrailer earlier.  They carry Weigh Safe devices.  They aren't inexpensive.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Satamax

Thanks a lot guys. Sawyer Ted, i had seen this one.

Weigh Safe Universal Tow Ball | Award-Winning Tongue Weight Scale
But i can't see how i could modify this one, to do what i want!

doc henderson

is that cast piece removable?  our hitches are often called receivers and you can put other styles in the square hole.  2 inch is typical but on vehicles not designed to carry heavy loads/trailers they put a smaller size.  can you get a Chevy truck?   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

SawyerTed

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

Satamax,

I don't know if the ball arrangement in France is the same as in Norway. I bet all of Europe is pretty standard on this. As I remember there in Norway they used what looked like a bent bar connected to and from the frame of the vehicle curved up with what looked like about a 1.5" ball on the end. I know the balls was smaller than we typically use in the USA. We use a 1-7/8", a 2" and a 2-5/6" ball with a matching hitch that slips over and locks on it. The ball was pretty high (maybe about a meter) from the ground while our ball is typically 30-40 cm from the ground. I remember most of the cars I saw in Norway had a plug in for electric brakes and it seemed all the trailers had electric brakes while in the USA only the larger trailers typically electric brakes. I assume the electric brakes were essential because many smaller cars were used to haul trailers while in the USA most passenger cars typically only haul small utility or small/lightweight boat trailers and SUVs or trucks are used to haul the heavier work trailers.

I don't know if this adds and info or helps answer any questions or just raises more.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

moodnacreek

You should be able to tell on your own vehicle if you have tongue weight. Try to lift the hitch/coupler area of the trailer and if you can that is not good. You always need a little squat in the rear of the tow vehicle [ and high tire pressure] .

Thank You Sponsors!