iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thrifty??

Started by metalspinner, September 21, 2021, 08:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

.. or just a cheap sob?😄

As I was cutting up the slabs for firewood from sawmilling last week, some of the sycamore was just crying out to me. They were saying, " I'm better than firewood!"

So I took the bigger pieces into the shop and resawed them. 

They all came out 3-6" wide and 24" long. Ended up with 4 of the hampers full. 
I did number them as book matches sets. 

These are perfect for the small boxes and such that I make. I'll just put them on the shelf and see what happens by next year. 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

metalspinner

Southside

You have discovered the beauty of Quarter Sawn Sycamore.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Love the ambrosia beetle holes.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

I decided to stack them on a pallet for a while for better air flow. 

Texas Ranger

I had a couple of chunks of white oak fire wood that looked interesting, so cut them up.

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

I know I can't throw away maple scraps. All that handle wood just waiting to be turned. I actually have a future project that will require a lot of handles and pulleys made from wood.

Some interesting fleck in maple.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

metalspinner

SD,
When we first moved to Tennessee 20 years ago, I bought my first truckload of firewood. The seller gave me a discount because the wood was "just some old, rotten maple."

As I was stacking the wood outside I started sorting it out into two piles... firewood and spalted maple for the workshop. You can guess which pile was the biggest. 😄

I still have some of this Spalted maple on my shelves.

Nice looking box, TR. what is that top? Walnut? The figure on it is crazy.

Texas Ranger

Quote from: metalspinner on September 24, 2021, 08:31:19 AM

Nice looking box, TR. what is that top? Walnut? The figure on it is crazy.
Burled walnut, I had a secret stash of it, don't think I have anymore, I was rather parsimonious with  what I had.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Parsimonious in a good way.  However, that first night that I met you and we went over to your shop, you were quite munificent with the stump water.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!