iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tanaka?

Started by Sauna freak, September 26, 2021, 05:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauna freak

A local dealer just started carrying these.  Looks like a top handle climber and a couple of 40-50CC rear handle saws.  Handled the 50CCish one, and the ergos compare favorably to the Big 3 models of similar size. He's working on getting a demo model so I may get to try one out. We have a couple of Tanaka gas powered drills in service with our linemen at work from before battery tech got good enough to reliably drill 3/4" holes in a utility pole, and they seem pretty bulletproof.

Anybody know about the quality of Tanaka chainsaws in terms of cutting performance and durability?
Sauna... like spa treatment, but for men

lxskllr

Looking them up online, the warranty looks good, but I saw a comment of parts being hard to get for a non chainsaw product. Appears to be made in China. A quick check on amazon says the price is about the same as echo. That being the case, I'd go with echo. It's a known quantity, and a fairly big player in the chainsaw market, so they should be around awhile with good parts availability.

Sauna freak

The drills we had are made in Japan, but some more looking says the components are mostly made in China.

Was mostly just curious about them.  I do love my Echo, and when my Jred finally crosses the rainbow bridge, an Echo will likely replace it.

Spike60

Had to double check the date to make sure this thread wasn't 30 years old. Tanaka used to be a player. Early leader in the pro trimmer and backpack blower market. Good quality back then. Slogan was "You can't knock a Tanaka". Bought by Ariens CO. and screwed up like most buy outs. Largest saw was the 60 something CC 655? (would like to find one for the collection) But the Tanaka ship sailed a long, long time ago.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Real1shepherd

Oh man.....those early Tanaka gas powered drills!!! If decent rechargeable drills & batteries hadn't come out, I'd still be using them in my fencing business. Building livestock fence and using Tanaka's was like a rite of passage..........yeah and I'm old now.;D

I gotta believe it was the rechargeable's that killed that type of tool.....Ariens buying them out didn't help anything.

If you Goggle it, Tanaka didn't shut their plant until 2021. I have no idea what they still marketed at that point. No doubt it was Chinese manufacture.

Kevin

Sauna freak

I do have a 1.75HP Free air Tanaka outboard motor.  It sounds like a chainsaw and runs when it wants to.  The gravity sediment trap type fuel filter rotted away many years ago, so I just bypassed it and run a spliced line.  Thought I had the bugs worked out of it this summer, then I ended up paddling the square stern canoe instead when the recoil broke (that is repairable with improvised parts).  I think I had the fuel system figured out at the time though.

donbj

Quote from: Sauna freak on September 27, 2021, 09:31:33 PM
I do have a 1.75HP Free air Tanaka outboard motor.  It sounds like a chainsaw and runs when it wants to.  The gravity sediment trap type fuel filter rotted away many years ago, so I just bypassed it and run a spliced line.  Thought I had the bugs worked out of it this summer, then I ended up paddling the square stern canoe instead when the recoil broke (that is repairable with improvised parts).  I think I had the fuel system figured out at the time though.
Almost nothing worse than an outboard that quits on the water
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Patrick NC

Quote from: donbj on September 28, 2021, 02:33:42 AM
I do have a 1.75HP Free air Tanaka outboard motor.  It sounds like a chainsaw and runs when it wants to.  The gravity sediment trap type fuel filter rotted away many years ago, so I just bypassed it and run a spliced line.  Thought I had the bugs worked out of it this summer, then I ended up paddling the square stern canoe instead when the recoil broke (that is repairable with improvised parts).  I think I had the fuel system figured out at the time though.
Almost nothing worse than an outboard that quits on the water
Except maybe an airplane...
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Ianab

Quote from: Patrick NC on September 28, 2021, 04:49:07 AMExcept maybe an airplane...

Dunno, when a plane engine quits, you are 100% sure to make it back to Earth. Where and in how many pieces might vary. :o
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Al_Smith

You used to hear that name but it's been a long time ago .One poster on this site used to brag them up but he's been absent for some time .I've never seen one myself .

Real1shepherd

I have a 4.5 Johnson for my square back canoe. Haven't used either in 15yrs. Was always stored vertical, but has been horizontal for the last five yrs. I'd buy a 55gal drum and rig it to run in that before taking it anywhere....after inspecting seals.

Best, economic trolling motor ever! I have the remote tank setup I installed in it when new. Five gal up in the front of the canoe and you could travel up rivers for a week.

Never had any other Tanaka except the gas drill, so I'm ignorant of their other products.

Kevin

sawguy21

The dealership I was with had Tanaka but only sold the lawn edger, gas drill, and ice auger. Nobody else came close in performance and reliability but they sure weren't cheap. The two stroke lawn edger was discontinued due to EPA regulations, there was a feeding frenzy among the landscape contractors to get the last ones. They were reintroduced a couple of years later.
I got an order from CN Rail for drills, when they arrived the purchaser called wanting to know where the rest of it was. I had no idea what he was talking about. We discovered the frame he wanted was made by a small firm in upstate New York, the drill was mounted in it then the unit was clamped to the rail. A Johnson bar was then operated to force a unibit through so the conductive strip could be bolted on, the Tanaka was the only drill that would take this kind of abuse! This was for small maintenance jobs.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Real1shepherd

I went on eBay to see what their going price for a running Tanaka gas drill was;$250. That doesn't mean they'll get that of course.

That's crazy money for an extinct gas powered drill....kinda like some chainsaw prices....! 8)

Kevin

hedgerow

I had a Tanaka gas drill years ago that I had bought on a power company surplus auction. Used it around the farm for different jobs for years. Sold it when the cordless tools got more powerful. I never saw any Tanaka chain saws in this area. 

Real1shepherd

Yeah, exactly. When the rechargeable drills hit 18 volts and beyond with big, long working batteries.....gas powered drills became a thing of the past except maybe with linemen.

I'd pick one up if it was cheap....$200+ is not cheap for something extinct/used. 

Kevin

blackoak

Tanaka saws always reminded me of Echo products. Both were based in Japan. All of the Tanaka saw I had were the older ones and they performed well for me, but I haven't used any of the new stuff they are making

sablatnic

I believed they too had been bought by Husqvarna - saw some red Tanaka hedgetrimmers with Jonsered stickers on a few years ago.

Thank You Sponsors!