iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wall Art

Started by metalspinner, October 20, 2021, 12:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

I tapped into my inner Bob Ross with some left over barn wood from a previous project.
My original vision was to make a large, rectilinear piece. But then I remembered the bourbon barrel hoops that were piled up in the shed.

So.... This is is what happened??????

A bit more contrast would be nice. I was hoping the texture would pop a bit more. But I think it turned out ok for a first try.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

21incher

That's nice. Here is one I made from some scrap Walnut, spalted maple, cherry, ash, birch, and some of my marbles from 1960.

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

metalspinner

Downstream

Great pieces.  That is why I find it hard to throw away or burn my scrap wood.  Im always finding a new use.  There are so many things you can make out of whisky barrel parts.  I wish I could get them cheaper around here.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Larry

I really like the idea, but like you I think a bit more contrast would add something.  I wonder if you could somehow incorporate some negative space into it.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

metalspinner

The problem with barnwood is that all species end up looking like barnwood. :-\

I'm thinking to try one made with rough sawn lumber.

Southside

I won't be able to build anything like that.  I lost all of my marbles.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Some honeylocust with that pink/red heartwood, some chinaberry with the orange colored heartwood, some yellow mulberry, etc would add great color contrast to a piece like that, Chris.  

If you want to try something multicolored and need the honeylocust and chinaberry, just say so.   I owe you anyway since you sent me that beautiful piece of oak burl many years ago.  

Dodgyloner made this mallet for me from that piece of oak burl that you so graciously sent me.  One end is capped with hard African ebony and the other end is capped with soft basswood for that delicate touch.  

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

WDH, thanks for the offer. I believe I have some Osage somewhere in my stacks, though not very much, anymore. 
I did just mill that mega mulberry tree. But it will be quite a while before that's ready to go.  

The yellow colored woods are a very nice contrast to the browns and reds of everything else. 
There is a local countertop shop where I have been buying their surplus shorts. They always have mixed in something they call Iroko. It's bright yellow and tones down to that tawny orange color of Osage. 
The QS pieces have that nice ribbon effect in them. 
Here is the Iroko in the top half of this box. And you can see the QS effect on the front face at the top. 

WDH

Beautiful.   Here is a wood art piece by a customer.  The texture in the wood frame is hand carved.  

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kelLOGg

To the woodworker that make me jealous: how do you cut those curved pieces and make them fit together so seamlessly. It is such eye-catching work.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

thecfarm

You guys do some beautiful work!!!!
Helps to see what a piece of wood can do for you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: kelLOGg on November 21, 2021, 07:01:43 AM
To the woodworker that make me jealous: how do you cut those curved pieces and make them fit together so seamlessly. It is such eye-catching work.
I have made cutting boards look like that by double sided taping pieces together and then cut some curves with the band saw.  Then mix and match the parts and glue together.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SwampDonkey

Not wall art....but. ;)

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

SD, very nicely done, Sir.  

SwampDonkey

Thanks there Danny. It's a bit of old news, so to speak, but what the heck.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

VB-Milling

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on November 21, 2021, 08:19:43 AM
Quote from: kelLOGg on November 21, 2021, 07:01:43 AM
I have made cutting boards look like that by double sided taping pieces together and then cut some curves with the band saw.  Then mix and match the parts and glue together.

Drew Fisher, Fisher's Shop, has a really good example and explanation of how to use this technique if you're more of a visual learner like me LOL
HM126

VB-Milling

Some really amazing pieces displayed in this thread.  Really nice work.
HM126

Ron Scott

~Ron

metalspinner

Here is a more developed piece from the first one I posted here.
This was a Mothers Day gift to my wife.
It turned out ok. The proportions need a little tweaking for next time, but scaling this technique up works out just fine.

Panel is 32"x20" with the frame reaching about 48" across.

The woods from top down are Curly, Ambrosia Maple, Cherry, Osage Orange, and QS Red Oak. The frame is walnut.

WDH

Love the frame with the sapwood borders. 

Thank You Sponsors!