iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl insanity

Started by Walnut Beast, January 11, 2023, 09:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Go big or go home 😂. Came home with some eye candy and swag gear big time! Plus a 2023 catalog full of goodies that a guy thinks he has to have. I still want that Husky 592 but when I watched a video of it going head to head in a monster log against the Stihl 881 and it smoked it. I thought I needed that extra 1hp more than the 592 🙄

doc henderson

kind of looks like you got the 5 foot bar.  Better eat you Wheaties.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

You've got some really big walnut, and/or going into chainsaw milling. ;D

I like those combination chain filers. Got yourself a stump chain filer vice? ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Walnut Beast

Thanks SwampDonkey I'll get one. Hadn't planned on milling. Just dropping several big Black Walnuts. 
Doc that is the 5' one. I didn't want it but it was on there and figured it may come in handy. I wanted the 30" bar for it but they didn't have it so I took a 36" and I'll get the 30" 

thecfarm

I see you got 2 hats!!!  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Walnut Beast

I got treated real well with everything. My wife was with me and she ended up with one and a hoodie and I ended up with two. These guys sell several makes of zero turn mowers along with all kinds of other stuff. They usually run one and two in the nation on selling Hustlers. In the picture of all the mowers in another location there are four or five more big stacks like that and stacks of Boss snow plows and blowers but no snow 😂 

SwampDonkey

We've got 12" more coming tonight. Have had 16" which is mostly gone, 'cept 4". :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

YellowHammer

NICE!  You're gonna need more oil than that little 6 pack. :D :D :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

moodnacreek

Quote from: Walnut Beast on January 11, 2023, 09:08:30 PM

Go big or go home 😂. Came home with some eye candy and swag gear big time! Plus a 2023 catalog full of goodies that a guy thinks he has to have. I still want that Husky 592 but when I watched a video of it going head to head in a monster log against the Stihl 881 and it smoked it. I thought I needed that extra 1hp more than the 592 🙄
What are you using for gas?

Skeans1

Here's a good question where's your suspenders and bar pad?

snobdds

do you know the part number by chance for that large carrying case for that 881?

Walnut Beast

Here is the part numbers for the cases and the 2 in 1 filing guide Yellowhammer recommended to everyone.This is from the 2023 catalog 

Walnut Beast

Quote from: moodnacreek on January 12, 2023, 08:18:41 AM

What are you using for gas?
The guy that was in sales had been a mechanic for years before he went on the sales side. He looked at me with a smile and shook his head and said don't use ethanol. Use premium higher octane. I had been using that and unleaded only. So I'll probably go back to premium only. 
You got that right Yellowhammer. That was more of the free stuff. Two six packs and he said your warranty is doubled or extended. Can't remember 

YellowHammer

The Silver Stihl oil doubles the warranty from 1 to 2 years.  That ought to say something about it....  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

terrifictimbersllc

If it's not commercial use. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Walnut Beast

Stihl saw chains with all the selections!  From guys running them everyday to everyone in between what one is the best one you like to run ? 

SwampDonkey

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 12, 2023, 04:56:26 PM
If it’s not commercial use.
Yep, non commercial use. It's like our clearing saws. They know we run them for work, we get 90 days. Joe yard man gets a year to putt around behind the garden with a warranty. :D Echo had the best warranty, full year, then Stihl and Husq matched it. They don't make a clearing saw now, so the warranty dropped to 90. :D Echo made a really decent clearing saw, held up to the other two. Warranty won't cover more than the power head anyway. A clutch or a bearing on the angle gear isn't going to go in 90 days unless used like an axe or something. :D

snobdds

Quote from: Walnut Beast on January 12, 2023, 03:06:57 PM
Here is the part numbers for the cases and the 2 in 1 filing guide Yellowhammer recommended to everyone.This is from the 2023 catalog  

Thank you.  My dealer could not seem to find it.   :D

Walnut Beast

Glad you got it 👍. They seem to be pretty nice for the money. 

teakwood

Quote from: doc henderson on January 11, 2023, 10:12:45 PMyou got the 5 foot bar.

that's standard bar for skeans. it's what he uses before breakfast :D
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

doc henderson

I get the AV fuel.  No ethanol, 100 octane, still has a bit of lead.  I think it stores longer.  not sure if it really kicks much more than premium, but theoretically.  
I have bought the cases and scabbards, but rarely use them.  they sit on the floor.  for the five foot bar, I might put the last section on.  the extensions come loose from each other, and also squeeze the bar and chain so now they have gashes through the plastic.  they do not rise to the Stihl quality standard.  IMO.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

The five foot bar is great for making cookies for tomahawk targets and splitting logs to fit on the mill.  can cut in one pass.  but, lay it on its side to fell an upright tree, and the flex in the bar can allow the chain to come out of the rail.  I amy need more tension on it, but sitting upright, it feels plenty tight.  I only get this with the five foot bar.

Skeans1

@doc henderson
The key to running a long bar for falling is normally you carry to saws one to start your cuts and to limb with. If you don't you'll always be fighting the chain. Another good tip is throw away the skinny bars for long bars they really have too much flex for the application. The same thing could be said for a bar pad for your shoulder is a must with those longer wider bars too.

As far as gas goes we run ethanol through all of ours and haven't really had any issues, one thing to remember a higher octane needs a much higher compression to make the same power as the lowest octane and stock compression.

doc henderson

Thanks Skeans.  I meant to tag you on this, and I appreciate your input.  I hated to over tension the chain.  Are the light bars more rigid?  I fell a big cottonwood and got the cut started.  it was a real pain to get the bar into the cut running.  maybe do like an open face on the back so the bar can lay on the flat to get back in the cut?

Skeans1

@doc henderson 
When we run them you are actually starting each cut with a shorter bar say a 32 or 36 you'd normally be carrying. As far as face goes we use a bit of everything but we normally keep them shallow vs what we would be doing with a shorter bar because you're not having to swing the power head around as much. Back it's the same thing start it with a short bar and chase it like you would normally with a short bar. One thing to remember is I'm saying doing this as if you're standing on one side of the tree so you're always starting on your near side and basically scribing around to match up your cuts.

Thank You Sponsors!