iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any good "log tongs"

Started by wisconsitom, January 21, 2023, 08:06:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Actually a good idea for you if you want the best of both worlds would be to get a pair like Logrite has and you could use your machine with chain, or winching, or take a short chain and small T pipe with hook and pull by hand alone or with two people

Walnut Beast

As far as the one hand models go it looks unhandy and awkward to use the way you pull with the handle. Especially if you loose your grip. 

Painting your tools, chain and cables with rustoleum industrial paint by hand or spray works fine

beenthere

QuoteBut if that's the case you might as well move by hand.

Not so true. Picking up a small diameter "log" (3-8") by one hand to move it or drag it a few feet is not very possible, but a completely different game with a one-hand log tong that is being discussed in this thread. Much better control and much easier on the back. And a real benefit is when there is snow and mud on the wood, as the tongs keep the gloves much drier.
There is of course a limit to the size of material that can be moved both by hand as well as with the one-handed log tongs. The tongs' limit is much bigger than by hand.
Even moving branches that are locked into each other are easier to snake out with the tongs. Picking and tossing firewood bolts can also be done with the tongs, and with much less bending down so far to reach the wood.  

Try them before knocking them WB
:snowball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqi7nvEkXNY
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Walnut Beast

You got some good points Beenthere! I might have to get a pair of the one handed ones! Plus I'm the type of guy that can't stand bending over or working off the ground and will take a portable pop up table anywhere to do work that could be done on a table instead of the ground 

Walnut Beast

Hey Beenthere! Great video you shared!! Definitely look handy! And compact for sure. 

Now who makes the best one?? Anybody have the log ox one ?

beenthere

Have also the hooks connected with the water hose (shown in light green) and find them very useful to pick up the 18" firewood for setting on the splitter. 
For tossing wood with the tongs, I turn them 180° and find they release the wood better than the "wrist flicking" shown in the video. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Walnut Beast

Beenthere what ones do you have?

wisconsitom

For moving bigger stuff, I've got an old can't hook.  It's ancient but works ok, handle's a little short.  Might make one-have nice 5-ft or so piece of oval pipe, and the steel swivel bracket from an aluminum storm door hydraulic cylinder mech, just need to figure out what to make the actual hook part out of.

Or maybe just get a nice logrite one sometime.  It seems I've got it covered for now.  
Ask me about hybrid larch!

John Mc

Quote from: Walnut Beast on February 05, 2023, 12:51:27 AMAnybody have the log ox one ?

I tried a friends log ox 3 in 1 tool: tongs, Cant Hook and timber jack. I did not like it. The tongs were longer, which meant a bit less bending over than my Husqvarna tongs (but the Husqvarna tongs are already a lot less bending than using your hands). The extra length is a disadvantage for things like putting log rounds up on my splitter (25" working height). I also found them awkward to use in the woods, and definitely not something I could put in a belt holster (which for me means I'd constantly be leaving them somewhere in the woods, then have to waste time retracing my steps to find them.) Some folks really like them, but they are not for me. I prefer the tongs like the Husqvarna and a dedicated LogRite Peavey for when I need to do that kind of work.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

wisconsitom

Anybody know, what kind of steel that is in tongs like the Husqvarna, Fiskars, etc?  Talking the actual hook part.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

beenthere

Quote from: Walnut Beast on February 05, 2023, 12:58:02 AM
Beenthere what ones do you have?
Labeled SK on the scabbard. Made in Sweden

Holstered

south central Wisconsin

Walnut Beast

Very nice! I'm definitely going to get a set of them 👍
I did notice the good ones like yours Beenthere are made in Sweden have that type of hinge system like Ochsenkopf and the Oregon ones that look to be made by them in Sweden. Ochsenkopf Yellow ones and red for Oregon ones. That's the ones I plan on getting. They do make two sizes. 

Also in the videos I've seen it was unanimous that everyone preferred that hinge system over all others from grabbing to releasing logs to branches of all sizes

upnut

Ordered these from Woodmizer after I saw MM's post, they should work well on a good number of smallish ironwood trees that need to be thinned out. Made in U.S.A. and built stout, they will get a workout...

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

Walnut Beast

Looks like a pretty handy system upnut 👍

Thank You Sponsors!