iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack walking beam repair

Started by EricR, January 23, 2023, 11:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EricR

I have a timberjack 200h (think 208 not the real old 200). I need to repair the holes for the spherical bearings in the walking beam and am planning to use the weld in bushings.  My question pertains how you go about welding them in so that you don't distort the bore. Are you supposed to bevel the walking beam and really get a good weld or are you just kinda tacking them in good?  Should you weld them with the bearing already pressed into it?  In my experience it doesn't take much to distort a press fit 

240b

The rear hole is probably cracked on top. Ive had machine shop bore hole for bearing in bar stock same size as walking beam, cut out entire rear section weld in new piece. 
 front I've taken walk beam to machine shop had it over bored an new press fit bushing welded in.   How egged are the holes in the front frame?  I think I've always shimmed them forward against frame.  I think it was hardox 550 to rebuild the rear section.  Also You want to weld a brace across the beam before cutting so it does not spring out of shape.  

tacks Y

Do you have it out yet? My 225D was loose, I had the holes built up with weld and machined back to stock. I did not have any cracks but have heard others do.

bushmechanic

I used to buy the " weldments" from the Timberjack dealer back in the day. They were just a sized collar that had the outside edges chamfered on a 45 degree angle. I would just torch out a rough hole, then touch it up with a die grinder and weld it in top and bottom. If it was not completely square it didn't matter as the bushings were self aligning. It's not a bad job and those weldments worked for all the pins on the Timberjack, centers, steering rams etc.   

EricR

Quote from: bushmechanic on January 27, 2023, 08:36:22 PM
I used to buy the " weldments" from the Timberjack dealer back in the day. They were just a sized collar that had the outside edges chamfered on a 45 degree angle. I would just torch out a rough hole, then touch it up with a die grinder and weld it in top and bottom. If it was not completely square it didn't matter as the bushings were self aligning. It's not a bad job and those weldments worked for all the pins on the Timberjack, centers, steering rams etc.  
Thanks you never had a problem with them distorting from the heat making them too tight or loose for the bearing?  Did you press the bearing in before or after welding them

EricR

Also one of the ears where the blade attaches is bent. If anyone has any tips on straightening them thatmight be helpful. Only thing I can think of is a lot of heat

bushmechanic

I would weld in the bushing first, then press the bearing in after as not to melt the seals in it. I never had any distortion issues with the Timberjack weldments.

sandersen

I did as bushmechanic suggested recently and it wasn't bad at all.  Randy Nason has the bushings, pins and and bearings to set you up.  Shims too.  Good luck.
"Make every step count."

EricR

Thanks to all. I'm going to give it a shot.  

Thank You Sponsors!