iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ordered an LT35 Today!

Started by burdman_22, January 24, 2023, 03:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burdman_22

Just wanted to update folks. I moved from Huntsville, Alabama to Fort Meade, Maryland about a month ago, and just placed an order for an LT35 today. Woodmizer says 1.5 year wait :/ Hopefully that will get bumped up a few times. 

I've yet to do any milling up here, but I've been on the lookout for big logs...If anyone in the forum needs any 3-6 ft diameter logs milled in the MD/DC area, feel free to shoot me a message! Also, anyone in the forum have a mill or big chainsaw mill in this area already?

WillisHomestead

I ordered  LT35HD back in December of 21, I checked on it the other day and they won't give me a build date. First they said Feb of 23, then May of 23. Who knows at this point.

B.C.C. Lapp

Congrats on getting your mill ordered burdman_22.  But a year and a half?
 That's a heck of a wait.
I buy a Norwood or a Hudson or Woodland and saw with it for the 18 months then sell it when your mill is due to show up. 
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Patrick NC

Be careful if you buy a Norwood. You might end up liking it and screw up your plans for Woodmizer orange!🤣
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

MattM

Quote from: WillisHomestead on January 24, 2023, 03:58:21 PM
I ordered  LT35HD back in December of 21, I checked on it the other day and they won't give me a build date. First they said Feb of 23, then May of 23. Who knows at this point.
I ordered my lt35hd in November of 2021, was told I should have it the end of October 2022. Called end of October was told that I wasn't told the end of October and that I had three people ahead of me so should get it either December or January 2023 unless someone cancelled.
Called mid December was told that one came in for the guy before me but didn't have the FAOs he ordered and did I want it. Of course I did. The only thing it didn't have that I ordered was the extra hydraulic backstops but they could have the in two weeks and I could have it early January. Called the second week in January and was told their shipment from woodmizer doesn't come till the 20th (don't know where the two week thing came from)
Called today and maybe the shipment will be in next week. And I guarantee you that when I call the end of next week I'll be told it will be in the following week.
Its bad enough waiting a year but it's absolutely killing me that the mill is sitting there 2 hours away waiting on a 200$ add-on that I'm not willing to do without.
...and you don't even want to know what I went through getting my bms250....  :D
LT35HDG25

TSAW

That is a nice mill.  I am currently in the market for a hydraulic mill to replace the manual mill that I have.  I also have a chainsaw mill.  I am just north of Frederick MD, just south of the PA line.

Magicman

Quote from: MattM on January 24, 2023, 08:04:58 PMThe only thing it didn't have that I ordered was the extra hydraulic backstops
I ordered and added the extra Side Supports this Summer and it took well over a month to get them.  Wood-Mizer as well as other manufacturers are really being hurt by the supply backlogs that are beyond their control.

People calling and ordering 5-6 sawmills that they intend to resell is one of the causes for the backlogs.  The manufacturers can not refuse the orders/deposits but they hurt the legitimate buyers that order one for their own personal use.

These new/unused sawmills are now showing up in auctions and selling for nice profits, while we can only get in line and wait.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MattM

I thought about taking it without the extra back stops but it's just not worth it, the whole point of me getting a hydraulic Mill to replace my manual one is to make life easier and realistically now that we've had a ton of snow here I won't be doing a whole lot of milling until spring.

My one regret is getting the Lt35 instead of the 40super. I ordered before the prices skyrocketed, the 35hyd increase by 10k CAD since I put down my deposit. 

I know that the 35 will suit my needs right now when it's just me milling, but my oldest boy will be able to start helping me in a few years and the extra production of the 40super would sure be nice.
LT35HDG25

burdman_22

I ordered the mill knowing it was going to take a long time to get here....that gives me plenty of time to find property to operate my mill on and stockpile logs on, as well as time to find a trailer and hopefully get a log arch mounted on it.

Family is still getting settled in MD, house hasn't sold in Alabama yet, so time isn't going to hurt me.

I spent about $3k in Alabama paying for a mobile sawmill each time I had a days worth of logs stockpiled....I'm excited to know my next stockpile will only cost me time/fuel/and some blades.

GAB

Quote from: burdman_22 on January 25, 2023, 02:37:40 PM
I ordered the mill knowing it was going to take a long time to get here....that gives me plenty of time to find property to operate my mill on and stockpile logs on, as well as time to find a trailer and hopefully get a log arch mounted on it.

Family is still getting settled in MD, house hasn't sold in Alabama yet, so time isn't going to hurt me.

I spent about $3k in Alabama paying for a mobile sawmill each time I had a days worth of logs stockpiled....I'm excited to know my next stockpile will only cost me time/fuel/and some blades.
Stage the real knotty logs closest to where you plan on setting the mill.  That way the Designer Firewood you manufacture won't be from the best quality logs.
Just a suggestion, and don't ask me how I know.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

DanMc

I ordered the LT35HD 25G just about a year ago, in Feb '2022.  At that time they said 62 weeks.  Last time I checked, delivery was sometime between June and October, so the lead time will be well over 62 weeks.  As Magic said, I was tempted to put in more than one order - one for me and some additional ones to sell for a profit.  Although it's not illegal, I felt it would be just a bit unethical for me, but I wouldn't criticize anybody for being a shewd investor and doing this.
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

SawyerTed

Quote from: MattM on January 24, 2023, 09:24:32 PM
My one regret is getting the Lt35 instead of the 40super. I ordered before the prices skyrocketed, the 35hyd increase by 10k CAD since I put down my deposit.
Congratulations on the order! 
The LT 35 can keep one or two off bearers busy enough when the log handling, slab handling and lumber handling is streamlined.  The LT 35 sawing steady is good pace for part-time helpers.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

burdman_22

I think the only real upgrades to the hydraulic lt35 is the engine and the debarker....right? Def skipping out of $6.3k extra for diesel, but from reading around on the forum, it seems like it'd be a bad idea to skip the debarker? Any other lt35 advice?

Southside

Skipping the debarker would be a very bad idea. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

My experience was the debarker nearly doubled the production from a blade, all things being equal. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

GAB

Quote from: burdman_22 on February 10, 2023, 11:36:23 PM
I think the only real upgrades to the hydraulic lt35 is the engine and the debarker....right? Def skipping out of $6.3k extra for diesel, but from reading around on the forum, it seems like it'd be a bad idea to skip the debarker? Any other lt35 advice?
I would recommend Accuset if it is an LT35 option.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

MattM

Sadly it's not an option.... Although I did see an ad a few days ago on FB for a setworks that will work on an LT35 for 2000$ CAD.....very tempting, I would love to have an auto up feature 
LT35HDG25

Mesquite cutter

Wow that is a long time to wait.  I am so glad I made my own.   I am really proud of my build.  
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill
Youtube:  Retired DIY Guy

DanMc

Well, pigs do fly after all!  WM sent an email announcing that my LT35HD goes into production this week.  

This, for an order placed in Feb '22.  Better late than never!
LT35HDG25
Jesus is Lord.

DanMc

Picked up the LT35HD this morning.  Now I have to sit here at the computer and work until I can fire it up and do some cutting later in the afternoon.

It's torture.  I'm low on vacation time.
LT35HDG25
Jesus is Lord.

Percy

Quote from: DanMc on September 20, 2023, 09:27:20 AM
Picked up the LT35HD this morning.  Now I have to sit here at the computer and work until I can fire it up and do some cutting later in the afternoon.

It's torture.  I'm low on vacation time.
New mill days are right up there 👍👍 have a great day 
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

burdman_22

So....my mill was supposed to come in around May. Got a call on Thursday, letting me know they had a mill sitting on the lot for me. Unfortunately, my wife is tdy until April 26, and I'm not able to pick the mill up (Ive got our three kids at home).

Apparently the policy is that if I cannot pick it up within 30 days of being notified, then it gets passed to the next person in line, and I then will be in line for the next one that comes in that matches my specifications.

I'm pretty disappointed. Not anyone's fault, just  unfortunate timing :(

Dieseltim

Burdman_22,

I know what I would do, pack up those kids in the truck and head over to get that New Sawmill.

SawyerTed

Or send the down payment until you can pick it up.  

Thank You Sponsors!