iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fish Hooks and Stupidity

Started by jerry-m, July 08, 2005, 12:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerry-m

Fouth of July My youngest daughter and her  family had a day at our small lake messing around in our kayaks and just goofing off...  She decided to fish awhile in the afternoon... Soon she caught a 1&1/2 lb bass... So I coundn't let her beat me so I got a top water lure and tried to out catch her..  Soon I had a 2 lb.  bass and the contest was on...

Now the stupity come in to play... I foul hooked a small maybe 1/4 lb. bass in the tail... The lure I was using had 2 treble hooks, thank goodness it wasn't 3... In trying to un hook him his tail was switching around so that I was having a hard time holding the lure steady ebough to release it... So maybe if I slid my left hand down further on the tail I would have a more steady hold to release the hook... As soon as I did that he gave such a violent explosion( well that is what it felt like) he came off the hook and one treble hook was stuck in my right thumb, the other one was imbeded in my left index finger... Going in at the base of my nail and almost all the way through to the finger pad...

Now both hands are caught by this one fishing lure, kind of like being hand cuffed ??? with both hand in front at least... Ever try to paddle a kayak hand cuffed ??? ??? ??? Any way I managed to remove the one in the right hand and paddled to shore ;D  After surveying the situation I rembered a technique from the Texas Kayak fishing Forum that said something like if you hooked a string to the hook in the correct way you could just give a quick jerk and the hook would pop right out with no pain :-\ :-\ :-\ yeah right, but I had down loaded the correct way to do this and have it somewhere on my desk at home :D :D :D  Think I remember how to do it but just to chicken to try :-\ So I tried to just take a pair of pliers and pull it back out the way it went in :'( It came a little ways but just stopped :-\ So after more thought I could see the point almost through to the finger pad...So I cliped the other 2 hook points off so that I could push it all the way through my finger ::) Ever try to do this ??? ??? ??? Your finger pad is very tough, almost like leather, maybe even more so... I pushed with all my might holding the cut off hook with a pair of pliers It took at least 3 or 4 trieds before I was successful 8) 8) 8) Surprised very little pain... A lot of proxide and some triple antibiotic salve and seem to be alright, except when I hold a cup in my left hand with this finger against the cup it seems like the cup is soft in that spot, a little nerve damaged I guess...    Be Careful,    Jerry   Ps, she later caught a 5.8 lb'er ::)
Jerry

Furby

My Dad did something kinda like that a couple years ago.
Northern Pike, treble hook, and his thumb.
The Pike kept trying to get loose and my dad kept trying to get the hook out of his thumb. ::)

My cousin got one in her eyelid years ago, my uncle managed to cut the hook and push it through. :o

moosehunter

Took my son Salmon fishing on lake Ontario some years back. He never did mind to good and he was playin' with the guides fishin lures...... it gets a little hook in his finger and he tries to SHAKE it loose :o. This happened about 11 am. He wouldn't let us touch it. Finally about 2 pm he let me cut off the rest of the lure but wouldn't let me pull the hook. 9 pm we finally get him to let the ER doctor to take it out ::)
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

SwampDonkey

Jerry, I was squirming as I read that. I stuck a fish hook in my hand when I was real young, but it was along the edge of my finger and not in the middle. It still wasn't pleasant, but I got the bugger out.

I remember fishing on the river and seeing these two clowns ahead of us angling for salmon. One guy was always loosing his hat as the guy in front made a new cast. I have had a fish hook whack me in the back of the head during a cast. That stings. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

johncinquo

Last summer my dad and sister came to visit from FL and I took the fishing down the river in my drift boat.  I was switching back and forth between a real light set up and a heavy one.  I picked up the light and swung it like it was the heavy, and embedded a nice #3 Mepps right into the back top part of my head.  Right through my hat and all.  2 hooks.  I tried to pull it out for a few minutes but it wouldnt budge.  Next thing I know I am sitting in the bottom of the boat, soaking wet, spitting up water, with my dad and sister looking funny at me.  Apparently I passed out from the stress of it all and slumped over right into the water with my feet still in the boat.  Definetly a funny feeling.  My sister shreaked and my dad pulled me back into the boat.  My dad tried to get it out with no luck.  So we got the boat back to the landing, loaded up, and headed to the ER.  They got it out with no problem, they said they get 3-4 a day all summer long.  Well what was I to do with the rest of the day, so we headed back to the river and fished the rest of the day!  Glad I wasn't out wading by myself when that happened.
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Chris J

Another reminder of why I never developed a taste for fishing, though I do have a taste for fish  8)!  That story made my fingers hurt.

Years ago (I won't say how many) my sister got a hook nicely buried in her hand.  When we were leaving the jetties to go to the hospital (were with a neighbor & he wasn't comfortable removing the hook) she slipped on a wet rock & cut her arm on some barnacles.  I don't recall ever going fishing again with that neighbor.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

jerry-m

I was Cat fishing with my father in law quite a few years ago... We were catching channel cats on rod and reel... The little ones were hard to remove from the hook because of their size made it hard to get a good hold on them... Well one fish got his fin inbedded right in the palm of my father in laws left hand  :'( :'( :'(
I took hold of the fish and tried to pull the fin out of his palm, but it wouldn't budge... I had a pair of wire cutters so I cut the fin off and took him to the hospital... Took a long time to heal...

I always try and have a pair of long nose pliers with wire cutters along with me when ever I go fishing now..

Also there is a new gaget out now that lets you catch the fish in the lip... This is very good if you don't like to get the fish slime on your hands as you can usually remove the hook and just drop the fish in the live well without ever touching him... Don't go fishing with out it 8)

Have fun, Jerry
Jerry

Tom

I tickle a catfish's  belly.  If you let him hang on the hook and rub his belly with the tip of your finger, he will eventually settle down and just hang there.  When he is quiet, move your hand toward his head and slip your thumb and third or fourth finger under his fins while letting your other fingers go over his fins and then hold on.  Keep his dorsal away from you.

If a fish is deep hooked, take a stick and push down his mouth until it rest on or near the bend of the hook.  Holding the stick and the line, twirl the fish and let the line wrap around the stick.  The hook will come out.  ;D

jerry-m

Thanks Tom,  Didn't know that... Will give it a try  :)

Jerry
Jerry

SwampDonkey

When fishing pickeral we used needle nosed plyers to remove the hooks. We had to use metal leader also, cause they do quite a number on plastic leader with their teeth.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Swamp ...
They can do a number on ones fingers also ...  I personaly know this for a fact ...  ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

I call them northern aligators :D

sawguy21

Swamp, I am wondering what you are referring to as a pickerel.  Here, that is what a lot of people call a walleye although they are not the same. Sounds like you are talking about pike aka slough shark. They are tough on nylon leaders and fingers.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!