iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you change a bar tip

Started by parrisw, March 03, 2006, 10:16:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

parrisw

I ve never changed a bar tip, how do you do it, just drill out the rivit, if so how big a bit to use??

Reddog

Get the new tip and use the replacement rivits as a drill bit size guide.

parrisw

Alta

with Stihl bars you just punch out the old rivets and pound in the new ones - not much to it, but a new tip is over $20 so unless the bar is still in really good shape and/or a really expensive bar, it might not make sense to do the job.

parrisw

Hey, thanks, I found a good used tip, I am gona try, its an Oregon Pro bar 28" that is in really good shape, a new bar like that locally cost me $150, this bar I have came with the saw, but the tip is for a 404 chain, and I need 3/8, so I found a good 3/8 tip and gona put that on.

oldsaw

Quote from: parrisw on March 08, 2006, 11:33:44 PM
Hey, thanks, I found a good used tip, I am gona try, its an Oregon Pro bar 28" that is in really good shape, a new bar like that locally cost me $150, this bar I have came with the saw, but the tip is for a 404 chain, and I need 3/8, so I found a good 3/8 tip and gona put that on.

I did the same with the 36" Stihl bar that came with my saw.  The saw was set up for .404 and I run 3/8".  I paid $25 or so for the tip, took the 4" angle grinder to the rivets, ground them flush, center punched, drilled out, then put the bar on my bench over a piece of scrap wood with a hole drilled in it, got a punch, two "pops" each, and it was all over...I was careful.  Put the rivets in, got my little 8" long piece of rail, hammered them down, and cut wood.

I consider $25 into a real nice 36" bar wasn't a bad deal at all.  It will probably end up being my short milling bar.  I've got a new one for crosscuts.

Mark

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

parrisw

Yes thanks for the reply, thats what I was excatly thinking, I got it all done now, it cuts great, and the 28" bar is much easier to handle than the 37" bar, only need the 37" for real big stuff, which I don't cut very often.

Will

Thank You Sponsors!