iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone Else Hate What Racoons Do

Started by tim1234, July 29, 2007, 08:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim1234

I've had an 8 year battle with the racoons around my house.  No matter what I do they find a way to get into the trash cans.  Last fall I thought I won the final battle....I built a combination trash can shed and wood rack.  It holds 2 trash cans and enough firewood close to the door for a couple days of burning.  I also put the sensor for our outdoor wireless thermometer transmitter in the bottom to keep it out of the rain.  I always ment to screw it to the side. ::)

A week ago I didn't have the cans (still at the street) so I threw a bag of trash in and ment to get the can and close the front and top.  Well time ran off and I forgot.  The next morning the trash was everywhere.  Score the last battle to the racoons.  I scooped up all the trash and put it out to the street.

Last night I was looking at the indoor thermometer and the outdoor reading was blank.......then it hit me.  I scooped up the transmitter with the raccon trash.

Can you believe it.  The racoons struck 2 blows at once.

Those guys are so sneeky.  They can get a whole trashbag out of a 2" slit in the bottom of a trash can.

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

LeeB

I don.t really hate them, but they sure do wreak havoc on the poultry. They're not messing with the trash though.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

tim1234

Ok, you're right.  I don't realy hate the raccoons, I hate what they do.  Good point. 

I've had to pick up soooo much trash.  It was really bad when we used disposable diapers for the little ones!

Tim

Don_Papenburg

I don't realy like them , they are allways shipping all over my corn crib where I have to walk . then they will dump roofing nails on the drive and I don't know were there supply is .  I have picked up and removed all the one I could find.  Then there is the sweet corn fight .  DanG coons.
They don't mess with my trash either . but then why if there is sweet corn
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

farmerdoug

I do not hate the coons that live by Tom either. ;D ;D

Now any within 10 miles of our farms are all on the wanted posters here.  I plant 2 acres of sweet at a time just to pick one acre for market. ::)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

JimBuis

If you hate racoons, it is because you have never had them barbecued! ;D :D ;D
I'm serious, you've got to try it.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

WV_hillbilly

Nothing gets the juices flowing in the morning more  than having to clean up trash.  I t just starts the day off on a tangent.  I usually leave em alone till fall then it's on . But occassionally I have a troulbe maker that needs to be made an example out of .  I used to wait up for them with a 22 and a lite , now I just set out the box trap and see what kind of present I have in the morning .Last winter I caught 9 of them in 5 days , 1 everynight before bed and missed one on the  4th morning . I didn't have any problems for a while .
Hillbilly

tim1234

Jim,

I couldn't eat anything that smells that bad when it's alive!!  Plus I know what they ate, cus I threw it out ;D

Tim

Furby

Tim, sounds like you are your own worse problem if ya can beat a coon! ;)
Just takes a little thinking and attention. ;D
I actually have fun beating animals at their own game. :)

PineNut

An electric fence charger works for me. Just put a wad of wire in the top and charge it. Works on for dogs also.

Furby

I say something at TSC just the other day that plugs into the charger and goes on a feed bin or what ever to keep small animals out, but lets bigger ones feed.
Anyone ever use one?

scottr

Tim , a former neighbor that liked to sleep in use to spray his trash bags with household ammonia to keep the racoons away . 

isawlogs

They help keep my back-hoe operating skills up to par ...  ;D Well after they get me to keep my lead throwing skills up .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

tim1234

My little trash hut works great, as long as I remember to shut the door. ::)  Those coons just have a better memory than I do.

It has a flip down front and the top (roof) is hinged.  I even covered the roof with cedar shakes.  That way the roof is too heavy for the critters to get in.

What really burns me is I threw away the transmitter.

Tim

Quartlow

Quote from: WV_hillbilly on July 29, 2007, 09:47:44 PM
I used to wait up for them with a 22 and a lite , now I just set out the box trap and see what kind of present I have in the morning .Last winter I caught 9 of them in 5 days , 1 everynight before bed and missed one on the  4th morning . I didn't have any problems for a while .

Just turn that crazy cat loose on them  :D  :D

We have one that gets in the wifes bird feeders once in a while. He comes around less and less as the dogs get after him more and more.  :D

We used to have a squirrel that came around, But after the day the pup went out the window to get him and came with in a fraction of inch of getting him, he quit showing up.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

flip

For what ever reason, they don't bother me, they've all got lead poisioning :)  I guess they told all their friends and family, they don't come around either.  They have been hard on the chickens over the last 2 years but we're under control now ;)  Skunks on the other hand are still learning what ka-chink means :o
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Burlkraft

My Mom just had some landscaping done and put down sod. She's been waterin' it real good and just about every mornin' the sod is all rolled up. Them DanG coons been eatin' grubs out from under that nice wet, cool sod. It's a tree hugger neighborhood, but I think I'm gonna set out there with the old 22 and a bright light some night.......

Her neighbor had trouble with rabbits, so they been live trappin' em and takin' em down the road an lettin' em go. He finally started spray paintin' em when he let em go and he's just been trappin' the same rabbits over ond over..... :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Patty

Around here we use a fly bait, called Malin,  or similar. Mix it with some nondiet cola, and leave it out in an open container overnight. Coons love it, and after they eat it they die within seconds. You usually find them within 10 feet of the bowl. It kills skunk and possum as well. They say cats won't eat it, but we alway keep out pets locked up when we set out the poison.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

beenthere

Patty
Is it Malrin ?  I couldn't find Malin.
The stuff contains methomyl, according to a Malrin MSDS sheet.

MSDS on fly bait Malrin

Guess dogs like it too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

Our neighbor was telling us about Malin.  He's been using it with great success too.  They don't make it too far from the bowl.  I think malathion is the more common name for this pesticide.  Probably not labeled for use on raccoons  ;) ;D  High speed .223 lead poisoning works here but once the leaves come on my maple tree I can't pick em out of it.  I let one go early in the summer that was on top of the bird feeder post at 3AM.  I just wasn't in the mood.  A few days later my dog refused to come in the house at bedtime.  About 3AM I heard snarling,growling, sqealing, and thrashing around.  I jumped out of bed expecting my dog to be bleeding somewhere.  Just as I opened the door she yelped a bit and that was it.  The coon musta pinched her a bit and got away.  She came inside none the worse for wear and feeling pretty good about herself just the same.  I was sure I was gonna have a vet bill to get her patched up.  The coon hasn't been around that I know of since.  The bird feeders haven't been molested anyway.  How's your coon kevjay ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Dave Shepard

Golden Malrin Fly Bait, in a big yellow can.  .22 CB's are nice and quiet in a rifle length barrel for those discreet purposes. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WH_Conley

12 guage at 25 feet with 00buck real effective ;D. Don't have to shootem twice.
Bill

sawguy21

My neighbours would complain about the noise :D :D.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Patty

Yep it is Malrin, Golden Malrin to be exact. Sorry for the trouble there guys. And yes it is in a big yellow can. Keep your pets locked up when you have the poison out, it is indeed effective. :o
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Thank You Sponsors!