The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Contest Announcement! We have a winner!  (Read 33836 times)

Offline DR_Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Nuff said.....
    • Share Post
    • Got Logs?
Re: Contest Announcement! We have a winner!
« Reply #120 on: June 22, 2008, 07:43:32 PM »
WAY COOL !!!      8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Thanks Stump Branch and all the other prize contributors.   :) :) :) :)

And way to go Furby.   :)    I hadn't even considered you a serious threat at this point.   ;D

This last week has been a tough one around here.  I almost didn't get contest answers posted.  As it is, I think I got them in just under the wire.    ::)   I've been sicker than a dog the last 8 days with a really bad cold.  Then this past Thursday the wife's father passed away and she had to go out of town for that.   I stayed home.  Along with being sick, our son s home on leave until Tuesday and we have the grand kids here until Tuesday as well.   To top all this off the air conditioning went out Friday.  :(     It' currently (at 7 PM) 91 inside with the windows open.

Anyway, enough of the excuses.   I went nuts trying to figure out Darrel's nick name.   I even sent an email to Gustafson Logging.  :D  I didn't get an answer.  ::)   I gave up and guessed on the beer can question.  ???    And I have absolutely no clue on what the last question even means.    :-\ :-\ :-\    
Question 30: "Contact Operator Channel what?"
Channel 27
   If it's from one of the in-between commercials like the Valspar question earlier in the contest, it's different from what I see because I have satellite TV here.  

I was also thrown because of the bloopers History channel aired.   Like question 18.   An early episode identified Chris Hand as 'Sparky'.   I spend hours trying to figure out who the heck Chris Warn was.

Anyway.....  Thanks again to all the sponsors, contributors and competitors.

And due to a posting delay because bad weather took out my satellite internet while typing, I now see that additional prizes have been added.    8) 8) 8) 8)   
Hey DR Buck! I almost forgot, you get something else I know you can never have to many of! The Logrite Tools Peavey From Kevin and Tammy and Logrite tools
     SWEET

Thanks  Logrite !!!!!    8) :o 8)

Jeff......I'll send a PM.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Wood-Mizer LT40 Super- Wide HDG38
Lucas Dedicated 60" Slabber

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #121 on: June 22, 2008, 07:58:59 PM »
Good job there DR_Buck.I missed one week of questions when I was on vacation.Not that it would of mattered much in you winning.Have fun with your prizes.   ;D   
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
    • Behind the  Forestry Forum YouTube channel
« Reply #122 on: June 22, 2008, 08:15:34 PM »
Question 30: "Contact Operator Channel what?"
Channel 27

Answer is in episode 8 on a roadside logging operations sign  :)  (Furby got it right ;))
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline ADAMINMO

• Today is gonna be another one of those days!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #123 on: June 23, 2008, 09:27:10 AM »
That was a pretty close game. What a blast. That was alot of fun. I did come in 3rd , but 3rd place is second loser.Great game guys. Thanks to Jeff & Tammy , Logrite , And espacially Stumpbranch logging. Looking forward to next season if they have one.

ADAMINMO

Offline arj

• Full Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile
    • Share Post
« Reply #124 on: June 23, 2008, 12:48:59 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS  Dr. Buck
sorta like when looking for something at home you just saw a few days ago,
and can`t remember where. Several questions I knew I`d seen the answer
for but could not find. some turned up the second or third time thru the tape
right where i`d been looking. I took some guesses also.
Jeff great questions, must have been fun finding them.
Congratulations to everyone else TOooooo.
                                                                          arj

Offline DR_Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Nuff said.....
    • Share Post
    • Got Logs?
« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2008, 09:45:31 PM »
  :) :)

Just finished a nice phone conversation with Melvin from Stump Branch logging.   What a nice guy. After watching the entire season (many times  :D)  I felt like I knew him .  He did a great job of making me feel comfortable during the conversation.  The Melvin on the phone was just like the Melvin on Ax Men.   He's the real deal.

I asked a lot of questions about the filming, his crew, his "2nd hand equipment" and he was patient and very detailed in his answers and explanations.   One of the things I asked about was the History Channel's "creative editing" that provided a lot of extra drama.  He pointed out that it's not as bad as it appears on TV.  And as far as his 2nd hand equipment, the two break-downs on the series have been the only real equipment problems he's had this year.    He does have one of the youngest crews around.   He said the average logger age was 50.   

Another question I asked is what made him agree to do the series.   His response was so that he could show that loggers were not as bad as some make them out to be and that they aren't a bunch of spotted owl killers and they really do care about the environment. Not only was answer sincere, it was also passionate.  It was easy to tell he really loves his job.  He even mentioned on an up coming job, the harvest has to be scheduled around some birds hatching season.

They had the same camera crew the entire season and they "clicked" with his crew.  After the 1st week of filming, they began to know what was going on, and where to be for filming and such.  They had very little impact on the logging production and Melvin was able to meet daily load goals most days.  According to Melvin they are currently in negotiation for season 2 and he wants to have the same filming/camera crew.  Season 2 could possibly be the same 4 crews and possibly a couple more as well. 

Of course I had to ask about "fishing for logs" or jammer logging.   My question was, after warming up and getting into the swing of it, just how accurate was he in placing the chokers to where he wanted them to land.?    The reason I ask was I got thinking that to be efficient and cost effective, he would have to get close most every time or he would never make daily load counts.   Well his answer surprised me.   At distances of 200 - 300 feet he can drop it into a 2 ft target area.   :o :o    And as far as production efficiency, I think I remember him saying that they averaged 8 loads a day and have even pulled as many as 11 in a day.   

It was a pleasure to talk with him.  Both the wife and I can't wait till next season for more Ax Men and Melvin and his great crew.    As I said at the beginning.....   Melvin's the real deal.  :)

Foot note:      I did drop a line about a Pig Roast in Harrison Michigan August 2nd.    ;D                 

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Wood-Mizer LT40 Super- Wide HDG38
Lucas Dedicated 60" Slabber

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
    • Behind the  Forestry Forum YouTube channel
« Reply #126 on: June 26, 2008, 10:03:59 PM »
I feel like I won this contest now. After all the Sunday evenings sitting on the couch with pen and paper to create questions for the contest I didnt know that I would get a share of the grand prize. Melvin called me unexpectedly tonight as well and we talked for quite some time. Like Dave says, Melvin is the real deal and one of us. He called to thank us for having the contest and helping where we could.  We talked about some other cool things and some possible projects that will have to be revealed at a later date.  8) 8)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline Mindy

• Share Post
    • Stump-Branch Logging
« Reply #127 on: June 26, 2008, 10:42:28 PM »
Dave and Jeff,

Thank you for your kind words about Melvin.  As you both pointed out he is the real deal.  Tonight he is having dinner with me and my family and just hanging out.  Right now he is on the deck with my husband watching the kids ride motorcycles.

He had a nice time talking to you both, and can't believe the support.  We are all looking forward to another season of Ax Men.  We'll be back for season 2 and another contest!

Thanks again,
Mindy 8)

Online Mooseherder

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #128 on: June 26, 2008, 10:47:09 PM »
That is awesome. 8) 8)
I'm looking forward to seeing some reruns because I missed the last 2 weeks.
Lane Circle Mill
Homemade Bandmill

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Contest Winner

Started by Jeff on General Board

4 Replies
Last post January 05, 2001, 09:20:10 AM
by Jeff
xx
Mill contest winner??

Started by Mr Mom on General Board

11 Replies
Last post September 15, 2008, 02:50:56 PM
by Mr Mom
xx
Christmas Contest Winner!

20 Replies
Last post January 06, 2004, 10:07:11 PM
by VA-Sawyer
xx
Wreath Making at Barnie's (Christmas contest#2)(Completed, on to contest#3!)

55 Replies
Last post December 07, 2008, 05:05:48 PM
by beenthere