iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finding a small mill?

Started by marc, July 20, 2001, 08:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc

I am wondering how I can find out if there are any small mills around where I live.
I spent a lot of time at 3 saw mills that I know of and got to know the people there really good and learnt a lot  but they are about 3 hours a way.

Tom

Marc,
Most sawmill manufacturers have 800 numbers that you can call to talk to a sales or customer service person.  They would be more than happy to tell you about the mills they have in your area.  You can the the numbers from advertisements or web pages.

kmenz

If your ever in Freeport, stop by the mill and I'd be happy to give you a tour.  800-860-wood.  ring debarker, 8ft filer&stowell headrig, 6ft salem resaw, gang edger, double end trimmer.  Also Freeport Fun Day is Sat. Sept. 8th.  all kinds of activities,  we have a booth to promote BMP and SFI, running Michigan Forests Forever Video, and  free drawing for lumber, chips, and bark :(

Ron Wenrich

You might want to try your local forestry department, as well.  Ours has a catalog of all the mills in the state.  That includes some real small hobby mills.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

timberbeast

You might also ask some loggers.  In my area,  a lot of the loggers will have small orders set aside for the little mills,  and could give you some leads.  Got a couple small burls,  still will find more for you,  I just got a couple of big orders for 2x6 cedar (is this a fad?  All summer everyone wanted 1 inch,  so I got no 2inch piled!!!),  but when I get a chance,  I found a nice maple with about 3 decent burls..I'll get them to you eventually!!  Got a few pieces of maple crotchwood in the firewood pile,  too.  Be patient!
Where the heck is my axe???

TanglewoodTimber

What is your location. Marc.  That could help us find you.  ;)

marc

Kevin

Marc,
Contact Dave Cheel at Wood- Mizer in Manilla, Ontario   dcheel@Wood-Mizer.com
Dave is a great guy and he can tell you where you can locate a Wood-Mizer close to Ottawa.

Thank You Sponsors!