iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Adapter offer

Started by Jim_Rogers, August 05, 2008, 10:38:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

A friend just showed me this:

It is an adapter so that you can use all of your bits from a bit and brace set in your boring machine:

This would allow you to use your entire set of brace bits in your boring machine for when you need a different sized hole for your project.

Here is the offer, if you are interested in having one of these adapters, please make a post into this thread with your name and email address. Or email me privately and I'll start a list of names, and see how many are interested.
I'll begin now to create a measured drawing of this and take it to my machine shop and see how much they would cost to be reproduced.
And I'll make them available to all, once done.

Jim Rogers
email: jrsawmill (at) verizon (dot) net

PS. there are more pictures of this in my "Adapter album" at:
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1947&page=1
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

metalspinner

One for me, please. :)
I will PM my e-mail...
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

gaidagirl

sounds great! keep me posted!

Jim_Rogers

We have done extensive research on creating an exact copy of the one shown. The costs to do them would make them well over $100 each. And due to that price, we have decided not to try and make an exact copy.

I did use this while I was cutting the last frame, I cut.

It worked ok, but sometimes the bit would drop out of the adapter. It was necessary to keep a hold of the bit when moving from one location to another.

I haven't pressed my machine shop guy for a price on creating a modified design. What this newer design would be is a two piece socket for holding the bit, that is slid into a shell to hold the two pieces from separating. Hopefully with one set screw to hold the bit in the socket and the socket into the shell.

Jim Rogers

Mad Professor

How about just cutting the head off an old brace and turning the shank down?

I see braces all the time for $5 at tag sales.  Would not take but a few minutes if you have a lathe.

Only downside is you will loose some vertical travel due to length of the adapter.

Jim_Rogers

One of the many boring machines we have purchased to restore, and resell, came through with a brace chuck in the regular boring machine chuck, once.

And as mentioned the travel depth is effected.

But the point was to make an easy to use, and cheap adapter so that everyone who has regular bits for a bit brace can use them in their boring machines.

Jim Rogers

Mad Professor

I've got a 1/2 dozen tag sale braces ($5), I'll sort the best conversion and report back.

moonhill

I have done a similar conversion using the chuck from a hand drill, the type you turn by hand, with the large round gear.  The shank was already the correct size for the boring machine chuck.  It allows any modern bit to be used in the boring machine, it reduces the depth of travel, as well.  But one of Jim's converters would be handy, the price would be the deterrent.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Mad Professor

Quote from: moonhill on April 03, 2009, 06:54:07 AM
I have done a similar conversion using the chuck from a hand drill, the type you turn by hand, with the large round gear.  The shank was already the correct size for the boring machine chuck.  It allows any modern bit to be used in the boring machine, it reduces the depth of travel, as well.  But one of Jim's converters would be handy, the price would be the deterrent.

Tim

I've got one of those hand drills too but it's too nice to butcher. 

The hardest part of making the adapter is the 4 sided taper.  I've a good friend who runs his own shop and he has one of the newer machines that "burns " the metal with carbon electrodes. If the electrode is not too much to make then it is just set up costs for a run.  I'll ask him.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Mad Professor on April 03, 2009, 06:45:50 PM
I've a good friend who runs his own shop and he has one of the newer machines that "burns " the metal with carbon electrodes. If the electrode is not too much to make then it is just set up costs for a run.  I'll ask him.

Mad P: I looked into this and the cost was very high to do this.
I have someone else who thinks they can produce these very easily and hopefully at a low cost.
He will be attempting to make a prototype shortly.
Please stand by and I will update you as soon as I know more.

We may do a run of 15 or more of these to start......

pineywoods

If you're looking for a machine shop to build that adapter, you just might be looking in the wrong place. A good blacksmith could make them quick and easy. If there are any amish clans nearby, check with them.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jim_Rogers

pineywoods:
Thanks for the suggestion, and I may consider it, if the current deal doesn't work out.....

Dave Shepard

I looked into the smithing approach last year, but never had time to proceed with it. A friend of mine is a hobby machinest, and suggested milling a negative form to put in the hardy hole. I might give him a nudge at some point, but not now, he just finished a 40 hour project for me. ;)

Now we just need a tapered square hole. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qEhyQfbImY
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

moonhill

Dave, did that chuck rotate in a square pattern or a round pattern?  I can see both, but the chuck itself orbits, how?

Tim

Dave Shepard

Not sure how it works really. The more I poke around on YouTube, the more odd things I discover that I never knew existed.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

moonhill

I think I know what you mean about youtube. 

Tim

Thank You Sponsors!