iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodland industrial mill owners

Started by jeep534, February 22, 2009, 01:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeep534

I  am looking at a used Woodalnd industrial Band mill. I was wondering if there are any owners on the forum. search function does not work because of the common word useage.

archie =) =) =)   

thecfarm

jeep534,just want to welcome you to the forum.I have never heard of this kind,but I don't get off the hill much.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jeep534

Thank You,
The mill in question is a higher production type mill with full hydraulics, 2 motors and an edger built in but is still self contained and trailerable.  maybe someone who owns one will chime in.

archie =) =) =)

thecfarm

You don't say where you are from,west coast region?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ironwood

I met a guy once down in WV that had one, they were reviewed a few years ago in Woodlot and Sawmill mag. Loooked VERY nicely built. He was going to sell it and continue to use his old Frick circle for blocking (his primary business). Keep looking, it was quite a machine.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

jeep534

Quote from: thecfarm on February 22, 2009, 07:45:10 AM
You don't say where you are from,west coast region?

Ok I updated My profile a little bit.  I am from near Huntington WV. I live up a hollar and I have about 30 acres of hillside with a ton of poplar trees. there are a ton of woodmizers a few other brand band  mills around here and a couple of "hand mills" and a few commercial operations.

archie =) =) =)

Ironwood

The guy I met was just north of Gorman WV on Route 560 he was on the west side of the road and had a blocking operation. It was  :o WOWING just to see him stand SOOOOO close to the Frick circle blade while milling. One step and he was decapitated.  :(. It was afew years back so the mill is likely lng gone but he might be able to help you in some way.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

woodhick

Archie, welcome to the forum.  I have a woodmizer LT40 manual that I have added hydraulics to myself.  I live in Hurricane so were neighbors per say.   Not sure what your long term expectations are from a mill and I have never seen a woodland like you describe in person it soundls like a lot of mill for your log supply.  Are you just want to saw for your self to build  house, barns, woodworking?    Now if you get a killer deal on the mill then I would say go ahead but make sure you count on operating costs, fuel, blades ( don't the woodland use a 2" or 4" band?) etc.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

jeep534

Woodhick,
      I thought I had already replied to this. but here goes..... I live about 50 miles from hurricane proper. the Woodland mill I think it is a pro 4000 it has 2 motors and a 2 inch or so blade. my neighbor is looking at it to buy. he wants to saw some of his own logs... he is a logger. I am the one in the community that is computer literate. However I do have a bunch of woodworking stuff and also I have a friend who also works wood and is close to you.

archie =) =) =) 

fishpharmer

Welcome Archie and post pics if you can.

Sounds like a nice kinda mill.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

jeep534

Quote from: fishpharmer on March 02, 2009, 04:43:59 AM
Welcome Archie and post pics if you can.

Sounds like a nice kinda mill.
I think it is a real nice mill the guy who bought it new still owns it. but he did not use it much. it sawed  out a log house and a little bit of other stuff but mostly it has just set.the mill cost over 40 thousand like 10 years ago. it needs some repair normal stuff but all in all I think it is in pretty good shape .  the part I like about it is it has an edger built in and there are no electricals on it except to start the motors. everything is ran by chain and hydraulics.
My neighbor has it now on a tryout basis after it gets setup and sawing I will take some pictures. there are a couple of similar units on the sawmill exchange but they do not have an edger.
archie =) =) =)

jeep534

I have just posted pictures on the web of the mill and added som comments to the pictures..

PHOTOS MUST BE IN YOUR FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY. LINKS TO OFFSITE PHOTOS ARE NOT ALLOWED.

Happy Hunting
archie =) =) =)

Okrafarmer

One of these mills just came up for sale locally here. I was searching around to see if anyone had anything to say about them. Woodland doesn't seem to still be making them, only their little manual mills.

The one for sale here is set up stationary on a 3-phase system and is reported to be in good operating condition. It includes a hydraulic lumber deck and log deck he never hooked up. The guy wants $9,000 for it.

Since I can find such scant info on it, it makes me think they must not have made very many of them. Even if it's a good design, it might be hard to service them.

Also, because internet searches are difficult for this mill, I did find a model number from another one that was in Maryland. Model was K4, and evidently there was a model K6 also.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Magicman

I wonder what the folks at Woodland Mills might know about it?  I would at least call and find out.

It's good to see your smiling face back on here, now don't be a stranger.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

47sawdust

The mill in question was originally made in Missouri.It is a very well made mill,some had built in edgers.They are no longer in business.The Sawmill Exchange occasionally has one for sale and would be a good source for more info.There is one currently for sale in Wisconsin for $24,000,twin Kubota diesel engines.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

irvi00

Is this the mill that loads horizontal and turns up to saw vertical? If so I watched one about 5 years ago. Too much stuff to go wrong in my opinion. I was not impressed at all. The integrated edger was useless. What I took away from it was that you needed four hands to man it. An old handset frick needs three hands and can double the production.

Lon

Mine is a one-man operation. My 86 year old father operated it by himself. Mine has twin Kubota diesels. Other than normal maintenance such as oil change and new batteries every few years I have had absolutely no problems. Mine is stationary and operated in a building where are the walls open up during operation. It does not have a ton of hours and it, about 1000. Just my two cents worth!

Lon

Go to "My Gallery" to see pictures of my Woodland Industrial mentioned above...

Thank You Sponsors!