iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not bikin home

Started by jim king, August 10, 2010, 03:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim king

Talking about biking home from the pigroast I have decided to sell my Harley as I don´t feel good about riding it any more.  It hasnt been started for about four years and is taking up space in a spare bedroom.  

Anyone have any ideas where I could sell it and what it would be worth ¿?

It is a 1941 Knuckelhead.

Magicman

Woooa,  My biking days are far behind me, but that is a jewel.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

submarinesailor

Quote from: jim king on August 10, 2010, 03:44:48 PM

A lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce

WDH

On the "American Pickers" show on the History Channel a few weeks ago, one was bought for $20,000, but I believe that it was a couple of years older than yours, so I do not know how they would compare.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

snowstorm

Quote from: jim king on August 10, 2010, 03:44:48 PM
Talking about biking home from the pigroast I have decided to sell my Harley as I don´t feel good about riding it any more.  It hasnt been started for about four years and is taking up space in a spare bedroom.  

It is a 1941 Knuckelhead.the 2th pic is not a knuckelhead.........no overhead valves

jim king

Snowstorm I think you are right, it is a Flat head.  Both photos are the same bike

QuoteHarley-Davidson Knucklehead

1941 Model FL motorcycle manufactured by the Harley-Davidson Motor Co., Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 1941.
(Museum object #2003.19.1)

The FL was Harley-Davidson's first modern "heavyweight" motorcycle. Introduced in 1941, the FL featured the high compression version of the company's first 74-cubic-inch overhead valve V-Twin "Knucklehead" engine. Only 2,452 FL's were built in 1941 before the company converted from civilian to military production for World War II. The FL is generally considered among the best looking motorcycles ever produced, and, because of its limited production, is one of the most sought after by collectors.

Here is the original owners registration card.  It says  Año fab 1941  (year made)
                                                               No. de motor  (41  5177)  motor no.
It has the suicide shift and when you put it in reverse it surprises every one.

fuzzybear

I would get ahold of Willie G at Harley Davidson in York PA.  It is the main headquarters for Harley.  Last I knew he was still running the museum. As far as price wise, alot of factors are involved.  Expect anything, this is a piece of Harley legacy and if enough of the right people get involved it could go for over $100k.  Christies Auction House is another to  contact.  Your best Option is to put it up for auction through a reputiable auction house.
  This is one RARE bike you have. I have only ever seen 1 other with reverse. It sold in the 1980's for around $90,000.  Please keep me up to date on the progress of this bike. If there is any thing I can do on this end to help you please let me know.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

jim king

fuzzybear:

Thanks for the info.  I had no idea.

whiskers

having reverse makes me think sidecar, don't suppose you have it too?
many irons in the fire.........

jim king

No it never had a side car.  After fuzzybears comment I think I will wash it.

Dan_Shade

be careful not to scratch the paint  :-)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

magicmikey

Jim, the bike is a Harley 45 [ 750cc ] which is the `74`s  little sister. With a reversing tranny and singles seat it could be a WW2 courier machine? Too bad about the sidecar. :(
  Good luck
mike

Ironwood

WOW is that cool, and to still have the original owners paperwork may increase the value. You may be able to live off the proceeds for a while ;)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Weekend_Sawyer

Jim, that is a beauty, I would love to have an old harley like that to tinker with. Wonder what shipping from Peru would cost  :D

Not to burst bubbles but the reverse trans was standard in the servicar too.
It's possible the original trans was blown and replaced with this one. Ya run what you could back then. I would try and find out if the engine, frame and trans are supposed to have the same serial number. It's a shame, I was at the HD musium and archives 2 days ago and could have done some leg work.

Anyway you look at it it's a great pice of history and needs to be preserved.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

jim king

We have an old German fellow in his 80´s who drives around town in his perfectly restored 1928 ford truck and he has several others.  We also have an old Harley parts store in the capital city of lima that can supply anything that needs replacing.

I have decided as it appears to have value to have it completly restored by the old German and rechromed etc..  He is about the best I have ever seen, you cannot drive your car in his shop for repairs until the car is pressure washed outside, underneath and cleaned inside.

Dan_Shade

that's awesome, Jim.  Please keep us updated on the project!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!