iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Host a timberframe workshop?Updated-Changed to log builder workshop

Started by fred in montana, January 13, 2011, 08:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred in montana

I read in another post about someone who had a hosted a workshop. I believe Jim Rogers was the instructor.

I am in a great location(outside Helena Montana) for a workshop and could act as a the host. I would supply the timbers. I am surrounded by National Forest with lots of hiking/fishing/ATV opportunites for after hours. It would be a great working vacation for the participants. There are also plenty of camping locations both on my place and up and down the creek on NF lands.

Timbers would have to be lodgepole pine.

If someone is interested in a joint venture for an August 2011 workshop, send me an email.

fredb         @        3riversdbs.net

woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

Jim_Rogers

I haven't been to Montana, yet......

Sounds interesting....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Stephen1

I agree it does  sound interesting and I haven't been there yet either. I also might have the time as retirement happens this year sometime. I did find out at Jim Rogers TF workshop this summer, that there really is not a lot of time left afterhours, or maybe I was just to tired.  :o
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Brad_bb

This is usually very true.  By the end of a workshop day, after dinner and some talking, most people are ready to hit the bunks.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

swampfox

Absolutely gorgeous place there Fred. :)

C'mon guys you would have enough for that rock face.

wdtik

Hey Fred,  I'm somewhat local to you, I recognize your location as what
was known years ago as the "Figure-8 Loop". Nice spot for any sort of event..

I'm west of you across the divide. 

There are some very accomplished timber framers/log builders in the Helena area.
Some of the local talent's work......

This house was on the Home Tour a couple of years ago. 
http://www.andersenartisan.com/html/reatedsites.php
The web page doesn't show the main room which is fabulous.

Just a few miles south of there is this place, went to a wedding there a few
years ago..wow..http://www.elkviewbb.com/index.html 
The photos don't do justice to the workmanship.

There are quite a few places around the Helena area were built during the boom a few years ago.  Then there's the places at the Yellowstone Club, Rock Creek ect. all world class
stuff.  I know some of the local guys worked on those jobs..all "money is no object" class
work.

I don't know the status of the timber/log guys these days but Schuele's sawmill in
Mt City used to supply timbers for the area.  They would know who is who.

Beetle killed LP house logs from this area is going at dirt cheap
prices. <$60T on the landing, and the drivers are complaining on how light
the loads are, barely covering the fuel bill.

Hope to meet you sometime..    Dan

fred in montana

Thanks for the interest. I have been contacted by 3 different people and considering whether or not to go forward.

Dan- yep, I am on the old figure 8 loop. I will have to check out the links you posted when I get back from work.

Fred
logdovetailjig.com

mog5858

i too might be interest in a weekend workshop  it would be a good place to start for me and i am so new calling me green would not eavin do it.

magone

Hey Fred,
I live in White Sulphur and work in Townsend.  I would be interested in the details about the workshop. 

fred in montana

After thinking it over I don't think I will be hosting the TF class this year. I may consider it again in the future but right now I am looking at just doing a log cabin workshop that I would teach.

Thanks for the interest though.

logdovetailjig.com

mog5858

what are you thinking about as a log cabin workshop. how to make a small log cabin like in the 20x20 rang?  how to pic, cut, peal ,and place, your logs or would is be more on like a hole log home? as long as it a weekend thing and not right in the middle of the week still sounds like fun.

Stephen1

I would still be interested.
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

fred in montana

I was planning on doing a week long workshop covering:

sawmill operation
dovetail notching with chainsaw
window/door framing- how to do it to accomodate settling
chinking
roof trusses/rafters

I would plan on building a 12x16 cabin.

There is more info on my website about that workshop.

Now that I think about it more, a 3 day class would probably be about right.

logdovetailjig.com

flibob

Montana is a bit far to go for a weekend workshop.  I have gone out to western Montana for week long course.  It was a great trip and the course I took (Forest Service) was also great.
The ranch is so big and I'm such a little cowboy

fred in montana

It is a ways to go for most people but you could plan 3 days for the workshop and then spend some time in Yellowstone (4 hours away) or explore this area, fish the Missouri for a few days, ATV, hiking, etc. It would be a good vacation. I think the technical things could be covered easily in 3 days. Longer than that and it would start turning into a job.

There is a forest service cabin about 30 minutes up the road in the mountains that rents for $25 a night I think. That may be an option for someone. Google "Indian Flats Forest Service Cabin"
logdovetailjig.com

Stephen1

I would still be interested in attending especially in late June,early July. I've always wanted to go to Yellowstone.
Stephen

fred in montana

Stephen, email me your contact info to

fredb   @   3riversdbs.net

I will get a date nailed down very soon but that timeframe should work.

Thanks
logdovetailjig.com

Thank You Sponsors!