iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saturday's project

Started by scsmith42, July 15, 2011, 12:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

Earlier this week I received an e-mail from a hay customer referring me to a large red oak tree that recently fell at a local equestrian farm.   I drove out today to look at it before incurring the cost to transport my equipment.

Whoa..... 208" circumference at breast height!  Looks like I can get two 8' long, 5'6" diameter logs out of it / 24,000 lbs total.  That ought to produce some nice quartersawn red oak!  Hopefully it won't have much metal or rot, but I'll know more Saturday when I go up to retrieve it.

Looks like Saturday morning is going to be busy...

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

beenthere

Wow!
That will make for some nice pics....hopefully. :)
Will enjoy seeing how you approach that one. Top on down to the stump?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

duke

I bet there is some nice crock wood there too, and a branch or two that will produce a good bit of lumber!! NICE LOG!! ;D :P 8) 8) 8)

Husband

You sure know how to make a guy jealous!  ;D
Post us some more pics!!

Ianab

Don't care where you are, that's a decent log   :)

Here I am cutting up 12" cedar logs with my swingmill, and you have that thing  to play with  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

It should be interesting, so you will just have to open it up and see what is inside.  I would suspect that the butt will have interior rot at least a couple of feet up.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

WOW!! that is huge. I would like to see some pictures of that being turned into lumber.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scsmith42

Quote from: beenthere on July 15, 2011, 12:22:43 AM
Will enjoy seeing how you approach that one. Top on down to the stump?

That's my thought too.

scsmith42

Quote from: Magicman on July 15, 2011, 07:01:46 AM
It should be interesting, so you will just have to open it up and see what is inside.  I would suspect that the butt will have interior rot at least a couple of feet up.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.  I'll say this, it looks solid from the bottom.  We'll know more tomorrow.

scsmith42

Quote from: thecfarm on July 15, 2011, 07:09:51 AM
WOW!! that is huge. I would like to see some pictures of that being turned into lumber.

I'll end seal the logs on site and bring them back to the farm tomorrow.  After that, I'll probably wait until fall to mill, so that I have some cooler weather for initial air drying before going into the kiln next summer.

scsmith42

Quote from: Husband on July 15, 2011, 05:04:58 AM
You sure know how to make a guy jealous!  ;D
Post us some more pics!!

Will do, although it will probably be a few months before I mill them.

Brad_bb

Please post pics of what you find when you buck them.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

terrifictimbersllc

Like to see a closeup of your tires after it's loaded. :o
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

scsmith42

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on July 15, 2011, 04:08:44 PM
Like to see a closeup of your tires after it's loaded. :o

I'm not sure that I want to look at them.... :D

scsmith42

Quote from: Ianab on July 15, 2011, 05:44:22 AM
Don't care where you are, that's a decent log   :)

Here I am cutting up 12" cedar logs with my swingmill, and you have that thing  to play with  :D

Ian

Yeah, yeah, Ian, you can't fool me; I've seen photos of some of those mongo logs that you have in New Zealand!  Some of them make this one look like a toothpick! :D

scsmith42

Quote from: Brad_bb on July 15, 2011, 01:16:15 PM
Please post pics of what you find when you buck them.

Brad, will do.  Probably will post them this Sunday.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

millwright

What do you have to load that with?

cutterboy

Yes, I was thinking the same thing as Millwright. How are you going to load it and what do you have to transport it?
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

scsmith42

Quote from: cutterboy on July 15, 2011, 08:03:33 PM
Yes, I was thinking the same thing as Millwright. How are you going to load it and what do you have to transport it?

My current plan is to cut it into two 8' long logs, estimate 6 tons each.  I'm taking a Cat 420Dit backhoe, and there will be a farm tractor on site with a FEL that is supposed to be good for 5000 lbs, or so.  Hopefully between both FEL's we can pick the logs up to place them on the trailer.  Plan B will be to roll the log onto the end of the trailer with the backhoe, and then either winch or roll it up the ramp onto the deck.  I don't really want to try parbuckling a log that heavy.

The trailer is a 37' deck, dual tandem gooseneck with a hydraulic dovetail.  I'll have to go back for the backhoe, as there is neither room nor weight capacity for the logs and the backhoe.

I designed the trailer for 10 tons on deck, with an additional safety margin.  I've actually had 15 tons on it and towed it for 100 miles w/o a problem, so I'm not concerned re the weight.  The tires are new, and the brakes are good (electric over hydraulic disc).

It's not my first time to this rodeo....

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

redbeard

The center looks to be in real good shape, your going to have some fine looking lumber from those mamouths! I bet those were over 5000 lbs. each.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Quebecnewf

Pleasepost the pics as you saw this monster and give us the BF tally

Quebecnewf

isawlogs

Nice logs, there is gonna be some really nice boards in your futur  8) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

duke

I'd love to be there ,just for the truoble shooting, idea's needed to get it done!!! 8) 8) :P Always a learning curve with these types of projects. It's what keeps the mind active.

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!