iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw Holder/rack

Started by sdunston, July 22, 2012, 08:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdunston

I have been looking for a holder or rack to mound on a tractor or atv to hold my chainsaw so it don't bounce all over. Any suggestions of brands or ideas on making

thanks Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Bogue Chitto

I took a 2 x 6 and plunged cut into two inch side.  Bolted board to tractor then stuck saw in the hole. 

beenthere

There are some previous thread(s) with different ideas. I made a sandwich of two pieces of plywood and bolted to the ROPS.

Also,
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,56509.msg818807.html#msg818807
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bobus2003

sdunston

Thanks guys, I like........

Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

shinnlinger

I made a scabbard out of plywood and screwed it to my fender.  Pics are in my gallery.  I'm on my phone so I can't post them right now
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

shinnlinger

Shinnlinger

beenthere

shinlinger
That is an interesting assortment of tools and such hanging on there. Mostly used when getting logs outta the woods?

Is the bright yellow in the pic a chain cover that is new? or something else near the saw?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ironwood

I recognize the winch  ;D. I miss that girl. Also, the hubs in my Gator are frrom YOUR old truck, too funny.

Here is my solution, it is removable and can go on other equipment with the same box tube mounts as on the Gator. The grey in between the steel channel is stiff rubber. Knobs are off an old woodworking machine I scrapped.

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

shinnlinger

The yellow chainsaw is the Partner Yellow of my trusty old F-55. 

My winch setup is something I threw together very quickly this winter to skid logs of my frozen beaver pond when I realized the standing dead maple were bone dry and prime for the woodstove.  As Sanford and Sons as it looks it did get the job done. 

That old Warn still pulls its weight thats for sure....

Dave
Shinnlinger

UN Hooker

The "Ballast" holding the roof down on the building is neat! :D  :D
Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

shinnlinger

I ran out of screws and had to do something. 
Shinnlinger

kantuckid

Thread revival
Prospecting for more ideas.
I've read through this thread and lean toward building a plywood scabbard fastened to my tractor ROPS or maybe behind the rear OE tiny toolbox where a safety sign might go. 
In looking at various online, made for sale saw holders, I see several and most are pricey. The Kolpin 20044 is  a clamp style that I like. Amazon review says that a vertical Stihl leaks out bar oil. 
I see concerns about bar strain from vibration carried on a tractor. How does that play out from long term users? 
Is that really more strain than what's created in regular use in a cut? I saw one version made for use inside a PU truck bed that holds the saw horizontal within nylon U channels for the bar/chain. 

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Tacotodd

Just for giggles, check out the tool that Madsens has for a saw holder. It might give you some ideas & maybe not. Only way to know is to look.
Trying harder everyday.

PoginyHill

I attach mine to the FEL mounts. I remove my loader during the winter when I use the saws. Perfect for my use. Out of the way and well protected. One for each side.

Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Old Greenhorn

Well I had the same issue a while back and made my own for 2 reasons: A) I didn't see the cost as being worth it, and 2) I didn't like the bar pinch method with a clamp to hold the saw, I too felt this put a lot of load on the bar. SO I made one up that lets the felling teeth take the weight of the saw. I had a little thread on it a few years back: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=104840.msg1630873#top
 It's still working just fine. I don't have any leakage issue and the saw lives their 90% of the time. My 372 leaks oil no matter what position it is in, but I only pull that saw out when I need it. My 50cc never leaks a drop.
 I'd rather build than buy anytime I can.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Grizzerbear

There are some great DIY ideas here. If you decide to go the other route and buy one, Sawhaul is a homegrown small business that makes a fine product. I haven't had any negative issues with the saw being stored in that position.

<br
>

btulloh

HM126

Roundhouse

I end up moving my saw around a lot, from the workshop into the truck, from the truck to the sawmill shed, from the shed to the tree or from the shed to the four wheeler to the tree, and all the steps in reverse until the saw is back home in the workshop again. It was getting real tiresome dragging along a basket of supplies in addition to the saw + a gas can. I don't saw that much so a gallon lasts me a while. I built this small wooden platform around the base of the saw with a dedicated place for the gallon of fuel, quart of bar oil, chain file, scrench and an exta container of mix oil. The green bungee attaches the saw to the base snugly enough that I carry the whole works using the saw handle. It works great and keeps everything together in one trip, I always have everything I need at the tree where I'm working. In my situation I'm traveling to where I cut on the four wheeler, sometimes the truck, distances are relatively short so I'll go back and pick things up with the tractor, skid steer or forklift once I'm done cutting.

Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

mike_belben

Nice work roundhouse. Ive turned my quad into as much of a service truck and food plot tractor as possible too. 

Best i got for fueling machines.  I dont put many hours on. 

I made the tractor attachment into the junk carrier.  Wouldnt normally carry 2 big saws but that day i was attempting some fancy felling that i expected to get pinched on. 

Praise The Lord

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

47sawdust

Check out the website for SawGrip.
Many different styles,one man operation.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

kantuckid

Great responses! For the record, the Madsens catalog listing is for a product called- "Byte Tyte" which is an all alu blade holder which has a blade clamp made on. 
In the older thread link I kind of like the g_man from VT plywood scabbard. That's pretty much what I had in my minds eye. 
I carry my saws in our UTV Mule by simply sitting them in the back but I have to compete with my wife for the Mule my own job time. 

Lostinmn

Similar to other posts, I used two pieces of plywood with a 1/2" piece around edge to create a pocket.  Painted it black and mounted on a piece of angle iron bolted to the winch.  Sits well, is handy to grab and doesn't fall out.

I looked at a couple of the ones you can buy, but only took a few minute to make out of scrapes just laying around.

thecfarm

You guys can do what you want. But there is no way I would have a saw on my 3 pt winch. I suppose if you never have to back up with a twitch all will be fine. I've had a few too many logs on my mine and bent one of the arms on the cage on my winch. I get in more trouble twitching 6 inch firewood than twitching a 3 foot log.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

PoginyHill

Agree. I've bumped the side of my winch by making a sharp corner. No back-up necessary. I ended up welding a protection plate because the hooks on the side that hold my chockers kept getting bent.

Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Tacotodd

Just need the same idea for a chainsaw.
Trying harder everyday.

Skeans1

What was wrong with the old way of a board with a few bar holes bored in that doubled as a spring board in the truck.

Tacotodd

@Skeans have you got a pic of some sort? I'm having trouble getting my pea-brain wrapped around what you're saying  :embarassed:
Trying harder everyday.

Skeans1

We'd take a 2x6 or 2x8 and mount it across the bed rails in the crummy then take the saw and bore at a slight angle so it was easy to slide in and out.

VTKubotaM6800

I built one out of some scrap PT a few years ago. Slides on and off with no mounting hardware, but holds on enough to even ride on the trailer that way. Nice to have tools and fuel/oil right there and saw is protected being inboard of the loader arms. It makes it a little cumbersome to get on and off but I can deal with that. 

M6800, Farmi JL 601 winch, Titan BX26S chipper, Pronovost P-860 snowblower, Woods 9000 backhoe, Stihl MS362C-M

Lostinmn

Quote from: thecfarm on July 29, 2021, 09:39:32 PM
You guys can do what you want. But there is no way I would have a saw on my 3 pt winch. I suppose if you never have to back up with a twitch all will be fine. I've had a few too many logs on my mine and bent one of the arms on the cage on my winch. I get in more trouble twitching 6 inch firewood than twitching a 3 foot log.
You make a good point, but I'm not hauling firewood or even skidding out saw logs over distance.  I use the winch only to get logs out to where I can pick them up with the forks and bring to the mill or load on a trailer for longer trips to the mill. 
As this is a hobby mill, selective logs and keeping dirt off them is key for me.  So my risk of cracking a saw mounted on the winch is minimized to the to the point of having the saw handy at hand in the back is far greater probable gain in my type of use. 

g_man

I carry two saws in scabbards made from 1/2" CDX and barrel bolts. One is behind the loader mount tower where it dosen't stick out or impede getting into the seat. The other is behind the seat above the 3ph mounted on the tool box shelf.

gg

HemlockKing

I need one of these for my atv. I’m thinking I’ll clamp down a 2x6 and try to bore cut straight into the end grain. Maybe probably could crocked I guess lol gonna try it anyway. Would be 1 minute
hole for a bungee to strap to hold the saw from sliding out.
A1

John Mc

Quote from: g_man on July 30, 2021, 10:26:27 AMI carry two saws in scabbards made from 1/2" CDX and barrel bolts. One is behind the loader mount tower where it dosen't stick out or impede getting into the seat. The other is behind the seat above the 3ph mounted on the tool box shelf.

Gordon -

What are the barrel bolts for? (I cant seem to see them in the picture.)

Also: I like the real toolbox on your tractor. I thought it was against the rules to have a box larger than what is needed to hold a screwdriver, a crescent wrench, and a spare hitch pin.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

kantuckid

What "is" a barrel bolt?  ;D 

John Mc

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

g_man

I guess they are actually call binding barrels - sorry. My son used to work in a cabinet/furniture shop and I have a ton of them.

McMaster-Carr

gg

John Mc

Quote from: g_man on August 01, 2021, 07:00:54 PM
I guess they are actually call binding barrels - sorry. My son used to work in a cabinet/furniture shop and I have a ton of them.

McMaster-Carr

gg
A ha! makes a lot more sense now. I could not figure out how you were using a barrel bolt on your holder. I thought perhaps you had rigged something to make the holder easily removable in case it was in the way for some operations.

mike_belben

As in bolt action rifle barrel bolt.
Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

Good enough. Now I'll just strap it to my atv front rack lol 

A1

kantuckid

I have my own cabinet wood shop too and I call those bolt latches-but gotta admit I've heard that term before. 

mike_belben

Thats one way to make a scabbard.  8)
Praise The Lord

John Mc

Quote from: HemlockKing on August 02, 2021, 06:46:11 AM

Good enough. Now I'll just strap it to my atv front rack lol

I made mine by bore cutting down the length of a 2x6. It worked well, until I clamped it to one of the cross bars on my brush hog. The vibrations eventually caused it to split. If I had clamped it to my tractor, it probably would have been fine.

Thank You Sponsors!