iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HVAC Mini split system and Trombe wall

Started by OneWithWood, October 21, 2012, 11:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

I am getting closer to actually putting up walls for the saw barn addition.  The reason for the addition is primarily to have a climate controlled area to do wood working and store some lumber.  The layout is essentially one large room of 27x35x12 with a 12x12x8 office enclosure in one corner.  So roughly 801 sq. ft. of working space and 144 sq. ft. of paper shuffling and napping space.  ;)

One of the systems that has caught my eye  is the ductless split system that is comprised of an external heat pump and a single internal hang-on-the-wall unit. 

Does anyone have any experience with these? 

I am also contemplating building a trombe wall along the south wall to provide some latent heat throught the winter.  A trombe wall is basically a solid masonry wall placed just inside south facing windows.  The wall absorbs energy from the sun during the day and radiates the stored heat back into the building at night.

Here is a rough outline of the floor plan:

|                                                                          |                        |
  |                                                                          |                        |
  |                                                                          |_____________ |                                                                                       
  |                                                                                                    |
  |                                                                                                    |
  |_______________________________________________________|

The HVAC system needs to be a one ton unit I think.  Does that sound right?

I would appreciate your thoughts and comments.

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

beenthere

I've had the split system for our great room for 12 years now for air conditioning (cooling), and like it. The compressor is the max 50' from the wall unit. Not familiar with the heat pump variety.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

OneWithWood

Beenthere, how do you heat the great room?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Larry

You might also look at one of the package units like they use in a motel.  I put one in a shop about that size some 10 years ago.  It has a little heat pump in the unit.

Really efficient on electric usage except when extremely cold.

The biggest problem was finding somebody to sell me one...those HVAC guys like keeping us DIY guys out in the cold.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Holmes

I have installed a few of the systems.   I used Daikin units. They have worked well.
Think like a farmer.

Al_Smith

You might check WW Grainger if you can buy there .Generally speaking they are wholesale but if you can find an in ,you're in so to to speak .

John25mm

I know that the Carrier brand split systems we are using here in Kuwait are very good at cooling. Think keeping a room(12x20) cool when the temps outside are reading 130+ during the summer. I am not sure about heating yet but the temps are starting to come down and I may get to check the heater part out.

Thank You Sponsors!