iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boundary line maintenance

Started by ford400, December 11, 2012, 06:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phorester

This is a standard paragraph I include in all of my management plans:

A Virginia law now makes it possible to legally post your property to prohibit hunting, fishing, or trapping with the same paint marks used to identify the property lines if the paint marks are applied in a particular fashion.

Section 18.2-134.1 of the Virginia Code requires that "each paint mark shall be a vertical line of at least two inches in width and at lease eight inches in length and the center of the mark shall be no less than three feet nor more than six feet from the ground or normal water surface.  Such paint marks shall be readily visible to any person approaching the property".  The paint must be aluminum in color.

Hunting, fishing, and trapping are still allowed on such property by anyone with written consent from the landowner or in the presence of the landowner.

This law does not cover general trespassing such as walking, horseback riding, etc.  To cover this type of trespassing, Section 18.2-119 requires a sign saying "NO TRESSPASING" be posted. Such posters must be signed by the landowner.

Aluminum paint mark and posted sign to both mark property lines and prohibit hunting and other trespassing.  Such posters must be signed by the landowner

ronnie tucker

hacks and blazes will show as long as the tree stands.that is the best way to permanently mark a line in the woods.

beenthere

QuoteA Virginia law now makes it possible to legally post your property to prohibit hunting, fishing, or trapping with the same paint marks used to identify the property lines if the paint marks are applied in a particular fashion.

Appears this posting method could be easily confused with a property boundary line, if an owner was just out putting up no trespassing signs without regard to location of line.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Phorester

[/quote]

Appears this posting method could be easily confused with a property boundary line, if an owner was just out putting up no trespassing signs without regard to location of line.
[/quote]

That is the point I made in an earlier post.  Signs that are put in the interior of a property, off the property line, are confusing.

If a landowner marks his property lines using this law, the aluminum paint marks take legal precedence over any other paint or signs.  It is the property boundary line.

g_man

I have an elderly neighbor who just became a widow last summer. She and her 4th grade grandson posted her land this year. They put the posted signs up with roofing nails on my side of the line.  ???  She is a nice lady. I didn't have the heart to say anything. I think the signs will "blow away" over the winter and I will offer to do it for her next year. I'll get Jasper the grandson to help me.

Ironwood

I had one nieghbor post our boundry (older growth on my side, juvenile on his) on MY nice large trees with BIG nails >:( :(, YEEESH, I asked nicely for him to put the signs on posts and if he NEEDED the post I would GLADLY supply them......

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

chain

We've had considerable 'boundary tree attrition in the last decade. Windstorms, ice storms, diseases have taken their toll on many line trees.

So many destroyed trees that I now carry a compass and scope and flag off the line to a distant known marked line tree then back-track with tape. I  paint  and sometimes tie purple heavy duty tape to new line trees. Purple is Missouri's no-trespass color.

When we cross old trails or corners we put extra paint and really 'doll-up' to give notice to would be trespassers.

But sometimes, no matter what we have done in a clearly defined boundary or even fence-line, a overly-possessive , usually 'new landowner', will destroy the line or fence.

Thank You Sponsors!