iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

skidder question

Started by br389, February 03, 2013, 11:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

br389

How much horsepower does a jd 540b have and how much does a tree farmer c6f have I'am looking at buying one of these machines but I'am have a tough time figuring out which ones would be a better buy

mad murdock

I would lean toward the TreeFarmer, personal preference, parts are usually cheaper than JD parts.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Rob-IL

The Deere is around 100 HP, it all depends what engine the C6 has (could be Deutz, cummins or detroit) but probably in the 125 HP range. Both are great machines!!
I grew up around logging but chose to be a heavy equipment mechanic for several years. Later in life my interest changed so my cousin and myself went into logging on our own in 1988.

thenorthman

I'd think that fuel consumption between the 2 would be a bigger concern anymore? difference of 25 horsey's wouldn't make a real big gain in production at the end of the day.  just my opinion...
well that didn't work

lumberjack48

I would want a C6, 4-53,  140 hp, stick shift or a C5-D, 3-53, 100 HP, stick shift, this is the best for all around use. Will run on 5 to 8 gals a day.

I personally wouldn't buy a JD, a break down could be over whelming, I've seen it first hand.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

ga jones

What year c6 if its 89 and up its a Franklin. If it has the Franklin power shift trans and a 6bt cummins it will like fuel.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

br389

The tree farmer has a Cummins......they're both in good shape and the same price but the 540b comes with new bear claw chains so this is a tuff decision for me because it's my first skidder and I have to pull the logs a good distance and I always see other loggers by me with both of these skidders

ga jones

Deere is very expensive to repair. And very hard to work on. Tree farmer is cheap component machine. Simple to work on parts available at Franklin timberjack and aftermarket inc.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

treefarmer87

better get the c6 :) it has more power than the 540 and a cummins  is a plus
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

coxy

thay are both good skidders but like every one said jd is money for parts and the bear paws its going to be veary ruff ride on frozen  ground just my 2 cents  good luck with what u buy

PaYoungBuck

What did you end up getting?

logman81

Get the tree farmer, I have a c5d and it is a good machine. Mine has the 353 and is very good on fuel and easy to work on dependable and parts are cheap!
Precision Firewood & Logging

PaYoungBuck

That sounds like it was a great choice then. I am looking at a 540b right now. But after talking with a few folks looking toward some timberjacks also

HiTech

They are both good skidders. At the end of the day production would be about the same. If you are the type that takes care of his equipment then they will both last a long time. Then we have the macho breed and anything can happen with them. lol They normally have big repair bills or don't last long in the business. They are 100 to 130 hp range. Find a C5 with a Deutz (97 hp) and it will pull a good load and sip fuel doing it.

Thank You Sponsors!