iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawdust and the battery box

Started by Chuck White, September 09, 2013, 11:49:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Has anyone figured out a way to prevent sawdust and chips from going down in the gap between the main beam and the back of the battery box on the LT40 mills?

Some sawdust also manages to get down into the battery box because of the opening for the lift chain!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

I don't know how to prevent it, but I do know if you don't keep the sawdust clear the head will smoosh the battery box lid when you lower it all the way.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

drobertson

Quote from: Dave Shepard on September 09, 2013, 12:14:24 PM
I don't know how to prevent it, but I do know if you don't keep the sawdust clear the head will smoosh the battery box lid when you lower it all the way.
I had to chuckle a lil on this one, cause it will smoosh :D  although I've only done it a couple of times ;D  I think all we can do is brush it off and even for the gas diesel guys go ahead and pull the cover and check the battery connection, can't hurt to have a good ground and tight positive connection,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

schmism

bibby started a usefull mods thread many mooons ago.   I dont recall all them but i do remember several talking about the battery box on LT40's.

you might check it out and see if its of help (for your issue or others)
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,7789.0.html
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

wwsjr

I have an air hose hanging on shed post beside mill with blowgun tip that I use. When the head is down to about 3-4" from bed, a quick shot with the air gun does great. Haven't "smooshed" mine yet.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I know what you're saying Chuck. It is a little aggravating. I just blow mine off with the leaf blower when it builds up and about every 3 or 4 weeks actually open the battery box and blow it out.
That's all I know to do.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

pineywoods

yeah, I have a fix, but no pics. I'll post a pic tomorrow. Do we have a "round-toit" smiley ?
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

red oaks lumber

when i'm not sawing,sawdust isn't much of an issue :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

I have no preventative solution Chuck, but I do brush the box off several times each day.  Inside of the battery box gets cleaned out and repainted when I replace the battery.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

If you smoosh the battery box down it will hit the top of the battery ark out and you will have a fire. I brush it off with my hand when the sawdust builds up too much.
At the end of the day I use this

120 psI will cleen it out ,the small tip gets in there.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

I keep the top of the battery box brushed off usually every other log or so, but sometimes a chip will fall down onto the shield that hangs over the feed chain and it sometimes binds up, stopping the feed!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

Yep, loose bark is a villain! in many respects,   not only the mess it makes, being portable is kinda sweat, but for now I'm rakin' and shoveling, oh yea, and burning,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

It sort of makes it seem a little easier when you get done, you fold up all the hydraulics, raise the legs, hook onto the truck and leave the mess behind!  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!