iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing feed rate...

Started by grweldon, September 09, 2013, 12:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grweldon

Would the feedrate shown in this video be typical for cherry?  What about other softwoods.  When I'm sawing SYP, my feedrate is about half of that max!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPAOc3ayrUU
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Dave Shepard

For a log that nice, I'd say he could step it up a notch. Or two. :D Good cherry saws great. 8) If it was an upper log, then I'd say that is about right for fresh cherry. You can zip right along in clear oak and white pine like that as well.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

You can only go as fast as the horse power you have will let you go :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

I think that 25HP electric is enough. Al probably just doesn't want to run to keep up. ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ladylake

GR are you running out of power or not cutting straight if you feed too fast,  keep in mind that's a 25hp electric equal to 50 hp gas and most likely running a wider blade..  Cherry saws easy, if you want to compare feed rates compare a mill with the same hp and blade you have .. Those Select cut mills on another thread would put AL and Lindas WM to shame but we need to compare apples to apples . Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

drobertson

I would say absolutely,  and buy the looks of the blades, unless I'm mistaking, (usually) they look like 1-1/2" 
I will say that the electric has allot of power, and coupled with the wider blade, lots of production.  I like their set up,  plus what could be better than sawing with your wife? (provided you get along ;D)     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

Most of it is faster than I saw, but at about 5.15 into the video is about the same speed that I saw Cherry that size!

I have an LT40HDG24 mill!

Nice setup you have there!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

schmism

Its my understanding from the years of reading here, that you can change your blade to one that was suited for SYP vs other hardwoods and achieve higher feedrates.  (but i cant recall the details exactly)
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

Bibbyman

Watching Linda fly around pulling flinches,  edging and stacking has worn me out. I need a nap now.

That's ElectricAl on the mill.  We can figure out the specifics but I think he normally runs the 1-1/4" x .045 Wood-Mizer DoubleHard blade.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

grweldon

Quote from: ladylake on September 09, 2013, 01:05:27 PM
  GR are you running out of power or not cutting straight if you feed too fast,  keep in mind that's a 25hp electric equal to 50 hp gas and most likely running a wider blade..  Cherry saws easy, if you want to compare feed rates compare a mill with the same hp and blade you have .. Those Select cut mills on another thread would put AL and Lindas WM to shame but we need to compare apples to apples . Steve

Steve, right now I'm doing neither.  The mill cuts SYP quite well using a 10 deg. blade at about 10-12' per minute.  I have a 25HP gas Kohler. Since I'm using the lumber that I'm milling and I need every piece, I guess I have just been a little hesitant to push it.  I suspect that I'll get wavy lumber before I run out of power at least in pine.

That LT50 seems to be doing about 60-70' per minute feedrate.  I understand it may be up to twice as powerful as mine, but wouldn't that mean I should be able to cut quite a bit faster, say 25-30 feet per minute?  I know, it all depends on conditions and every log isn't created equal.  I guess I should measure the feedrate, then push it and see what it can get away with.  Of course I've never milled any hardwood except pecan (smiley_devil wood) and that wasn't fun.  Maybe 4' per minute, but that was my first experience milling and I haven't done any since.

Live and learn...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

drobertson

Not sure on the drive portion of your mill, or your power supply, but will say if you are happy with the quality then this is really all that matters for now.  If in fact you do want more feed speed, I would suggest two things, drive transmission (no slipping of the drive mechanism, belt or otherwise)  and a bonified  blade alignment, (not saying yours is out, obviously not) so, go for it, as much as possible.  A good lube/cleaner for the blade, and let it rip, you might very well be surprised.  You can always take a break if need be,  I have found the faster the cut the less dust to knock off,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This was a nice set up this sawyer had. I did notice he didn't have the door/shield on the side of his blade wheel.
Could be a little dangerous. Just trying to figure out why he has it off while milling.  say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Al can go as fast as he wants,but Linda can't go much faster.   ;D  I feel sorry for her.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dan_Shade

she's keeping busy!

I try to run my band as hard as I can.  the "rim speed" of your saw makes a difference too.  I understand that the woodmizer "super" series has a different diameter drive pulley which makes the band run at more linear feet per minute than the regular series. 

crank her hard and see what she does. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

ElectricAl

I'll address PostonLT40HD question first.  ...Ready, I forgot the door. We changed blades and doors are my responsibility. I knew the door was missing on the first cut because the dust really flies.
But Linda was making a video, so I kept going.

TheCFarm is right. There is a happy balance between sawing and edging. 

Dave Shapard, I'll have to run when we saw fresh Basswood.  We make a special blade for that. 15 degree and a 30 thou set.  The old LT40HDE15 would saw 14" wide @ 100' per minute.
That is full speed forward on that saw.  Knot free of coarse.

BibbyMan know our blade of choice. We stock 7, 9, and 10 degree.

grweldon,
For Pine we use a 7 degree to handle the hard knots and push the set out to 30 thou.
Experiment with your blades. Change one thing at a time. Start with more set.
Also make sure the drive belt is set right.  Go to YouTube and search for "  Wood-Mizer Belt Tension Tutorial "  I realize it's the wrong brand of machine, but you'll get the point.
If you don't see any improvement call WM and order some blades that will fit your machine.
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

YellowHammer

Quote from: grweldon on September 09, 2013, 03:45:39 PM
Quote from: ladylake on September 09, 2013, 01:05:27 PM

I suspect that I'll get wavy lumber before I run out of power at least in pine.

I'm one of those guys who likes to saw fast.  I could give you lots of reasons, but mainly its just plain fun to hear the engine growl and my off bearers complain :D

I had a great opportunity to learn a few tricks on speed sawing from a WoodMizer Shootout Sawyer fresh from completion, on my saw.  I was "complaining" to him that I thought my saw would cut faster, and I wished I had bought a bigger mill.  He just smiled and smoked through a couple logs so fast that it was hard to describe.  Incredibly fast, probably twice as fast as I had been going. 

After I could speak again, he explained several tricks to me, including to look for the rooster tail of sawdust coming off the blade as it exits the log.  The sawdust rooster tail basically creates an indicator, like a needle on a dial, and when the rooster tail is constant and level, the blade is cutting straight and flat.  When the rooster tail needle twitches up or down, then the blade is rising or dipping in the log.  So you can maximize your speed by pushing your engine and slowing down when the rooster tail rises or falls,  indicates a wavy cut is happening.  This way you get instant feedback if you a getting a wavy cut and won't ruin a board. 
It takes practice, but it works.
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Linda

ElectricAl loves to push the saw to it's maximum potential. It's a game he plays, trying to bury me; Which just makes me go faster.  ;) ;D

Fortunately for me, this video was made a year ago, when the sawmill was still pretty new, so he might have been able to push it a little harder before getting a wavy board.

Bib, sorry for wearing you out again!  ;)

Cfarm, I love the challenge of keeping up, but if you watch some of my other videos, you'll notice I have my crew along to take some of the burden off.  :) AND to keep ElectricAl from being able to bury me!  :D
Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

Dave Shepard

Both the standard and super use 19" wheels. The 70 and up use either 24" or 25" wheels.

Thank You Sponsors!