iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

first mill Woodland HM126

Started by muck, March 24, 2014, 03:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muck

Hello all
I have finally got in a position where I can pursue a longstanding dream of owning a portable hobby mill.
Friday I ordered a HM126 from Woodland Mills, a box of blades, and a cant hook.
This will be my first sawmill and after going through the processes of coming to the conclusion this was the mill for me
I have decided to document my experiance with a thread.

Friday morning I ordered the mill around 9:30 locally
Friday at 3:30 it was on a truck coming out of NY
now its noon monday and the saw is in Chicago.

Very Impressive start WM. 8)

more to come with pics of coarse.

richhiway

good luck. I sure we will enjoy your photos.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Andy White

Muck,
Congrats on the new mill! You will have hours of  fun making sawdust with it. Follow the directions in the manual, and every thing will be OK. If you have any other questions, someone on here has a mill like that one, and will be glad to help. You may need to change your avatar because I've found that the logs will come to you when they find out you have a mill!!!   Andy
PS     Yes on the pictures!
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Jimmy Mc

smiley_clapping  One of the best decisions you are ever going to make. Not only do they make great lumber, they are just plan old fun to run. Welcome to the club.
Jimmy McIntosh, HF band mill

JamieT

Go ahead and order the track extension lol, u will wish you would have!! Congratulations and good luck!!
Learned just about everything I know, from the greatest man ive ever known. My father! Everything else was self taught thru the school of HARD KNOCKS ;-)

goose63

Muck when you get the cardboard off you will find a steal crate most every thing will be inside have fun getting it all out I did 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

muck

thanks ya all

thats right goose63 you just got one

congrats!

Am I the only one who thinks it Ironic a mill maker would ship in steal crates? :D

SawyerBrown

Quote from: muck on March 24, 2014, 06:49:38 PM

Am I the only one who thinks it Ironic a mill maker would ship in steal crates? :D

Yeah, that's pretty funny! 

Congrats on the new mill! 

Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Billbob

Congrats on the mill, Muck!  Take JamieT's suggestion and get the bed extention.  You won't regret it!
Bill
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Magicman

Quote from: Andy White on March 24, 2014, 04:55:43 PMYou may need to change your avatar because I've found that the logs will come to you when they find out you have a mill!!!   Andy
I wonder how Andy found that out??   ???   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Freedom6178

Congrats on your new mill...  8)
------Freedom6178------

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
George S. Patton

'12 Mustang, '03 F-250 SD 4x4, Stihl Farm Boss 18"bar, '09 Arctic Cat 550 TRV EFI

giant splinter

I wonder how Andy found that out?? 

That is a good one, could it be ironwood ??, Steel is a good thing ..... you can use it to build your extention  ;D
Congratulations Muck, cant wait to see the photos.
roll with it

muck

Thanks again everyone
looking forward to sharing my mill story.

this is mostly a outlet for me to learn and to set expectation for anyone who may buy a woodland mill.
with that said, don't pay for your mill with a visa card from B of A they will hit you with a 100.00
"International transaction fee"  (I'm about done with B of A)

@ JamieT
yes a bed extension is in the future when I upgrade my log moving capabilitys, right now im winching into a old truck bed.

@ Giant Splinter
yes more metal please!

@ Andy white

great advice. I am thankful for this forum.

ok have a good day ya all, going to check tracking again....lol

muck

Got a call from R-L carriers asking me when a good time Monday would be for lift gate service (I live 20 miles out of Sac).
this is a hour later

Got it home and started to peel away the cardboard

I was very impressed by the packaging.
however two people lifting the head out of that steel cage is only going to happen if your coworkers for the Packers. :D
Thank God for my Father-in-law, he brought over his front loader.
the Instructions were good but one must be versed in exploded image ciphering and parts # lists.
the pics were great but having to refer back and forth from the explod to find the part# then the part list to find the part descript
could be simpler if the part number was listed on the pic. IMHO

All in all I am impressed with the over all Stoutness of the machine. the rails and crossmembers are particularly solid.
The build was not hard to follow and simple hand tools were all that were req. (don't forget your linemen or your mech advantage to get it out of the crate and on the rails).

just the sweepers and blade set, final tightening and lube and we are making sawdust.
here's where my saw abides.

WX man says 100% chance of showers tomorrow.(boo)
Sunday looks good tho.

Andy White

muck,
The hard part is over now!! You have it on the ground and together. Now make some sawdust. Set up looks good. You may want to tie the track down to the supports before you go to cutting larger logs. Looking at your ramps, do you remove the log stops every time you load another log? Build an arch, and load from the end, works really well for me. Good luck and have fun!      Andy 8) 8)
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

xlogger

There is a fee for home delivery and liftgate service. You might try to get that money back since you pick it up.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Chuck White

Great story on your mill, Muck, congratulations!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

Looks like you have a good shady spot for when the temps get up.   Nice mill!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

justallan1

Congrats on the new mill. Muck. Looks like your ready to go to work. Have fun. ;D

Allan

muck

Thanks ya all, imexcited.
Andy White
yes I will remove them when loading logs. I didn't want my ramps on the walking path when I push.

Xlogger, I hear ya, but @ 349.00 across the country for shipping I was simply happy they let me pick it up so I could stare at it in the rain today..lol

yes the shade will hit the mill at around 2 in the summer, and as you know it does get warm in the Sac valley.

my wife saw all the angle iron that came with it from shipping and said "good more legs for another tailgate bench"
lol. I have two teenage girls and the projects are really starting to stack up. I told the girls I would need plans and dimentions on paper, just to get them thinking.

thanks again to the FF and all the members who are encouraging and sharing their knowlodge

Magicman

Your Joy and Excitement is justified.  Congratulations !!!   8) 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

That looks good. What I do with my mill I lay down some ΒΌ inch flat stock to roll my logs from the ramps to the mill. May have to dip into some of that tailgate bench material.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Billbob

Nothing like a new sawmill with that 'new sawmill smell'! :laugh:
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

goose63

Now you did it Muck you are ready to saw and I am not the trailer build is going slow >:( had to go back to Fargo to get parts I forgot the first time when its done going to take it to Frontier have them sand blast and paint it for me hopeing by SATURADY I AM SAWING 8) 8) 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

muck

Thanks everyone!
Goose63 you will be up and at it soon!
there was a steady rain yesterday but this morning looks good.
today I plan on making stickers after I double check the first cuts.
i'll take some pics
start with cottonwood stickers and hopefully end the day with some redwood slabs for benches.
well, gotta go make a huge lumberjack breakfast... its a rule. :D

Thank You Sponsors!