iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Wack of Cedar Signs - 80 to be exact - With Pics

Started by Busy Beaver Lumber, April 03, 2014, 03:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busy Beaver Lumber

Did a couple 3 foot long signs for this local customer that is getting ready for the grand opening of a plant nursery and garden center.

While he was here, he asked if I could route him a bunch of signs identifying each of several crops he though might be good sellers and a few he planned to use to identify the plants at his nursery. He ordered 10 each of 8 different signs, 3 x 7 inches in size and in eastern red cedar with high gloss finish. Each sign has a 1/4" hole drilled in them for insertion of a 12 inch long dowel. Completed all 80 signs in less than 4 hours start to finish, thanks to CNC machine and conveyor belt feed drum sander. I really like jobs like this.

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Ljohnsaw

Now THAT'S a sign!  I really like them.  I just had my son use a Sharpie on some sticks for our garden.  :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Thanks John. The CNC is quick. For example the Corn one took 35 seconds a piece to route and I could have gone faster than that if I wanted to push things. Would take almost that long to hand write it...lol
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

thecfarm

Well 2 things,one good one bad. Mighty nice looking signs.
I have a foot of snow over my garden.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Congrats on the whack.  Each of those signs will be an advertisement for your business.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Farmerjw

So did you flip them over and run them through the laser and put your brand on them so everyone that wants a sign like that knows who to call?  They look great.
Premier Bovine Scatologist

hackberry jake

I did a similar sign a couple weekends ago for a couple friends of mine. I used a new technique for coloring the letters. I routed the sign and then took the cutting torch and scorched the letters. I then sent it through the planer once to clean up around the letters and finished it with BLO. There are a few things I would do differently now that I have done it once but it came out pretty good!

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Jemclimber

They look great. BBL makes some very nice signs! smiley_thumbsup
lt15

Magicman

That is also a nice one that you did Jake.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Leigh Family Farm

Nice order Fred!

Jake, how long did it take you to do the burn?
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

21incher

They look great Busy Beaver. I hope your orders for them keep coming. You should contact Baker Creek Seeds (rareseeds .com) and see if they have any interest in adding them to their catalog. Years ago I made some that were painted and used some pieces of 3/8 dia fiberglass electric fence poles from tractor supply for the posts to hold them because I was afraid dowels would rot and the fiberglass poles outlasted the signs.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Busy Beaver Lumber

thecfarm - thank you very much for the compliment. Still have a few piles of snow by the curb, but the are vanishing real quick.

Magicman - Thanks Lynn. I hope he sells a lot of them and comes back for more.

Farmerjw - I though about doing that, but it just did not feel like the right thing to do. I really want people that see them at his location to buy them from him so him and his family gets to eat well too. Now if they see them on my website and are from outside the are, I am fine with making that sale. The idea to do them was actually mine, but I do not want to ever compete with any of my customers. I am thankful enough to have their patronage and support

Hackberry - Very nice sign. I have tried the torch method too. The problem I had in doing it was that i could not get nice crisp edges on the lettering and graphics, plus you are limited to just the color black:D . Some of the signs I do people want upwards of 4 colors.  Now i do like to use the torch to add coloring to bear carvings and the likes, where you darken, then selectively sand to add highlights. Try a can of Marsh black spray ink. I think you will like it. Send me PM or email and I will tell you where to get it cheap if you cant find it.

Jemclimber - thank you very much for the compliment....and whats better is I am having a ball doing them.

21incher -   thanks for compliment and the idea. Will follow up with that suggestion. He is supplying the stakes. The customer of these gets something in the fiberglass family for his nursery and is cutting 10 inch sections of that material.

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

hackberry jake

Quote from: kilgrosh on April 04, 2014, 10:54:55 AM
Nice order Fred!

not long at all. I just adjusted the acetylene rich and the oxygen lean for a long point type flame and traced the letters. Ill have to try that spray ink bbl.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Quote from: hackberry jake on April 04, 2014, 04:33:38 PM
Quote from: kilgrosh on April 04, 2014, 10:54:55 AM
Nice order Fred!

not long at all. I just adjusted the acetylene rich and the oxygen lean for a long point type flame and traced the letters. Ill have to try that spray ink bbl.

I think you will like the spray ink. It dries very fast. It does not migrate into the wood like regular spray paint does, so when you sand the ink off the face, you get a very crisp and clear edge. Not to bad on the odor side either and fairly reasonable in price ( about $5 a can ) and a can goes a long way. Used about half a can to do the 80 signs.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

rrrun

Great, great product. Hope that they sell well for the client ... they should.
--
www.MowryJournal.com

mesquite buckeye

This looks like a repeat business opportunity. ;D 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!