The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Using Garlon 4 for Invasives?  (Read 1905 times)

Offline TheSaint68

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Using Garlon 4 for Invasives?
« on: August 16, 2014, 08:20:36 AM »
We have a problem with invasive Japanese Barberry in our area and on our property. I want to try using DowAgro Garlon 4 to take care of it does anyone have any experience spraying a herbicide for invasive control? Any thoughts or hints would be appreciated.

Offline pine

• Share Post
Re: Using Garlon 4 for Invasives?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 11:04:47 AM »
Triclopyr ester based herbicide; Garlon 4, Element 4 etc should be effective.  Not authorized for use near aquatics use the amine if that is the case.  Use it in forestry application all the time

Some states may require an applicators license.  Check your state

Offline TheSaint68

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 12:05:03 PM »
Thank you for that, our woodlot in certain sections is totally overrun.

Offline curdog

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 12:54:10 PM »
Might do a price comparison on remedy ultra. I use remedy around my fields for blackberry, privet, Japanese honeysuckle. Works good and at the store up the road from me it was cheaper than garlon.

Offline TheSaint68

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 04:58:09 PM »
Update on results;

Well I went with the Element 4 which was a good deal cheaper than the Garlon 4. (Curdog you mentioned Remedy but could not find it locally) First time using this product so I was not sure how fast results would show. Temperature was 70 degrees with no wind to avoid over-spray using a 5 gallon Birchmeier backpack sprayer with 2 oz per gallon of water plus surfactant. There were no noticeable results on the Barberry, Porcelain Berry, or grape vines in the first week with a host of weeds showing results in under 48 hours. After walking the sprayed area for over a week it was like the lights were turned out on the Barberry overnight on day 9 with all leaves turning yellow. Porcelain berry showed results around the same time with the wild grape taking a few days longer. It does look like I will have to spend the winter cutting the grape vine and painting with a mixture of basal oil and Element 4 to hit it again. Pretty satisfied with the product.

Offline mesquite buckeye

• Senior Member x2
  • Trees are good- even ones with stickers
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 12:32:56 AM »
Don't know how similar Garlon 4 is to Garlon 3, but Garlon 3 was reported to have very little flashback on adjacent trees.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Offline pine

• Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 02:19:45 AM »
Update on results;

Well I went with the Element 4 which was a good deal cheaper than the Garlon 4. (Curdog you mentioned Remedy but could not find it locally) First time using this product so I was not sure how fast results would show. Temperature was 70 degrees with no wind to avoid over-spray using a 5 gallon Birchmeier backpack sprayer with 2 oz per gallon of water plus surfactant. There were no noticeable results on the Barberry, Porcelain Berry, or grape vines in the first week with a host of weeds showing results in under 48 hours. After walking the sprayed area for over a week it was like the lights were turned out on the Barberry overnight on day 9 with all leaves turning yellow. Porcelain berry showed results around the same time with the wild grape taking a few days longer. It does look like I will have to spend the winter cutting the grape vine and painting with a mixture of basal oil and Element 4 to hit it again. Pretty satisfied with the product.

Pretty typical results you describe.  I never even look for 10 days.  Which surfactant did you use?  I have used Cide-kick II and LI 700.  Mostly use the Li700 however.  The 1.5% rate you used is the typical dilution and works very well.

Offline TheSaint68

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 03:24:49 PM »
I went with just the basic Bonide Turbow Spreader Sticker it worked well.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Garlon 4

Started by Ron Scott on Forestry and Logging

3 Replies
Last post September 08, 2019, 11:05:00 PM
by OutPost
xx
Where do I get some garlon 3a at?

Started by Rod on Ask The Forester

23 Replies
Last post August 21, 2005, 12:22:38 PM
by Rod