iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I need to fill some knot holes and crack with clear finish.

Started by ozarkgem, December 23, 2014, 09:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkgem

I am building a kitchen island for a customer (Cedar ERC) and he want the grooves and knot holes left in it. It is 1 3/4 thick and I want to fill the holes with something clear  and then put the final finish over all of it. I guess poly finish unless someone has something better.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

gfadvm

Don't pour those full of poly! It will never dry. Use a 2 part epoxy like West/System 3 from Woodcraft.  Keep a torch/heat gun handy while it's curing and wave some heat over any bubbles that form to pop them. Then sand it level with the wood and apply finish of your choice.  Let it cure completely before sanding (until you can't dent it with a screwdriver).

Be sure to tape the underside of any holes/cracks that go through the board. Don't ask how I learned this!

ozarkgem

Yep I was going to put something on the underside. Thank you, that is what I was looking for.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

69bronco

Def. use a two part epoxy to fill. You can buy a small (bar top finish) kit at some hardware stores. 2nd the torch or heat gun for bubbles.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I actually had a customer who picked up some lumber yesterday and we were talking about this.

I have never done this....but he knows a guy that goes around to places that cuts keys. He collects the brass shavings......when he gets enough, he mixes them with epoxy and fills in holes in wood.
Its looks like streaks of gold inlay.

I've never seen it....just what he said.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Kipper

So weird this came up. I just ordered the glow in the dark powder and epoxy resin to do kinda the same thing to a table top and shelf board that I have. If you google "glow in the dark wood" there are plenty of ideas for what I am doing.
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger
Too many trailers to count and all Stihl Saws!!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I am friends with member YUKON CORNELIUS on Facebook. I got these pics from his page.

Here are some pics of a table top he did with glow in the dark fill added to the character in the wood face.
This is way too COOL!

Seaman

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

yukon cornelius

Id love to claim that pic but its not mine! someone shared it to me and wanted me to make on for them! I did however finish my first erc table last night I will post a pic later.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

xlogger

After reading this I went to the Woodcraft store for the first time today and pickup the system 3 myself for a later project with a ERC. I been wanting to get me a planer and they have the jet ones on sale with 15% off. I didn't get one but thinking hard on a 20" with a spiral head. Anyone here got one? If so how do you like it? I think he said its good till about the first week in 2015.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

xlogger

wonder how  it would look if you mix in the sawdust in the epoxy?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

ozarkgem

Quote from: Kipper on December 24, 2014, 10:40:27 AM
So weird this came up. I just ordered the glow in the dark powder and epoxy resin to do kinda the same thing to a table top and shelf board that I have. If you google "glow in the dark wood" there are plenty of ideas for what I am doing.
All I found was glow in the dark paint. Do you mix the paint with the epoxy?

ozarkgem

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 24, 2014, 12:08:46 PM
I am friends with member YUKON CORNELIUS on Facebook. I got these pics from his page.

Here are some pics of a table top he did with glow in the dark fill added to the character in the wood face.
This is way too COOL!

That is cool. I am in. where do I buy the stuff?

Magicman

Quote from: ozarkgem on December 24, 2014, 06:41:14 PMAll I found was glow in the dark paint. Do you mix the paint with the epoxy?
That would seem to be a recipe for disaster.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on December 24, 2014, 08:58:52 PM
Quote from: ozarkgem on December 24, 2014, 06:41:14 PMAll I found was glow in the dark paint. Do you mix the paint with the epoxy?
That would seem to be a recipe for disaster.

I've never done it but it would seem mixing paint with epoxy would destroy or degrade the purpose of epoxy.......
but I'm a Goat.

LeeB

I used to saw mesquite for a guy that would mix turquoise powder and other precious stone powders or fine rubble with the epoxy. He sometimes use brass or aluminum shavings too. Looked fantastic. He got a pretty penny for his work. I've got a chair I traded some sawing fo. He gave me a reduced rate on the chair, $800. No precious stonework in it, just some relief carving and leather seat.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Kipper

I ordered glow in the dark powder heres a link http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ADYYGRQ/ref=pe_385040_128020140_sgc_3p_1_0_ti/181-1981244-7306300

I am thinking I will do my first piece with some beetle damaged pine. I will post a pic once the stuff comes in.
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger
Too many trailers to count and all Stihl Saws!!

Thank You Sponsors!