iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Catface

Started by DanG, February 06, 2015, 10:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Hey Blake, I see you figgered out your password.  Glad to have you back, Bro!  :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: Blake22 on February 08, 2015, 05:33:35 AM
Must be eating at the Red Onion??  I wish I had a piece of 10 layer cake for breakfast.
Yup.  Every time I go past.  Even had to drive up there from ocala to pick up a stranded trucker one time.  He got to buy me a bacon cheeseburger before we headed back.

Blake22

Quote from: Ocklawahaboy on February 08, 2015, 09:08:00 AM
Quote from: Blake22 on February 08, 2015, 05:33:35 AM
Must be eating at the Red Onion??  I wish I had a piece of 10 layer cake for breakfast.
Yup.  Every time I go past.  Even had to drive up there from ocala to pick up a stranded trucker one time.  He got to buy me a bacon cheeseburger before we headed back.

Best burger in these parts. 
Blake

Blake22

Quote from: DanG on February 08, 2015, 08:48:50 AM
Hey Blake, I see you figgered out your password.  Glad to have you back, Bro!  :)

I was surprised it worked.  I just knew y'all had purged an old deadbeat member like me. If ican figure out how to post pics from my phone you still toss me out   .......I have lottsa DanG good pics of old junk.
Blake

PC-Urban-Sawyer

@Blake22

I see you live in Madison. I lived in Day when I was eleven and twelve, then after the school burned down we moved to the other side of the county, to the east of Mayo on US 27...

Herb

DanG

Blake, Jeff doesn't purge members who have posted before.  You don't get purged for not being able to post pics either, just laffed at a lot. ;D :snowball:
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Blake22

Quote from: DanG on February 08, 2015, 02:44:42 PM
Blake, Jeff doesn't purge members who have posted before.  You don't get purged for not being able to post pics either, just laffed at a lot. ;D :snowball:

Are you pickin on me DanG ?
Blake

DanG

caveman

The clay pots used to collect pitch were referred to as Herty Cups.  They were developed by Charles Herty.
Caveman

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: caveman on February 10, 2015, 10:13:56 PM
The clay pots used to collect pitch were referred to as Herty Cups.  They were developed by Charles Herty.
If I'd have known that 2 years ago, I could have exclaimed to my friends on the FL trail, Hey look, it's a Herty Cup!

Seriously though, I am going to add that to my mostly useless-make myself look smart around a select few Floridians- store of knowledge.

caveman

I took these pics in the Museum at the home of a friend of mine, Steve Melton, who lives in Trilby, Fl.  He has a lot of really cool stuff, some of which used to belong to my Great Grandfather (cane grinder and various railroad tools).  The catface which is from an old longleaf pine, the tins, Herty cups and the hacks which were used to create the catfaces are pictured.
Caveman

moodnacreek

Surprised to se so many replies under 'cat face' , that would be a knot scar that is a grading defect on a hardwood log.                          So there is another cat face found in the southern pine woods, very interesting.

Wudman

The "catface" posted by Caveman is a turpentine scar.  Trees were deliberately injured to collect turpentine.

Wud
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

WDH

The cut marks to stimulate resin flow in the old longleaf pines resembled a cat's face. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Claybraker

The horizontal metal piece in the first post is to give a horse something to brush your leg against. Makes a nasty wound. 

florida

I found these turpentine videos years ago and while the first 2  are rough for different reasons they are still enjoyable. I've looked for a cat face for years but I don't think they did much turpentining here in south Florida. I have found 2 hand hewn cypress ties though. Meant to go back one day and get it but it was deep in a Cypress slough and we never went back.

Spirits of the Pines - YouTube

Turpentine: End of an Era - YouTube

Episode 23: Turpentine Industry (A History of Central Florida Series) - YouTube

General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

WDH

When I was starting out as a new young Forester (last century 1979) turpentining was still being done on a pretty significant scale.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

newoodguy78

Is it still being done on any sort of a commercial basis?

WDH

Not that I am aware of.  I believe the natural products have been replaced by synthetics or are obsolete, and turpentine and tall oil soap are byproducts of the pine Kraft pulping process so most of the turpentine is produced that way. The old ways of using the trees and catch pans/pails have been replaced by the modern pulping process for pine pulp.  The big pulpmill that I procured wood for for many years produced a lot of turpentine and tall oil soap.  

Magicman

But around here anyway, we still call any scar on the side of a tree a 'catface'.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Claybraker

There's an outfit in Patterson Ga that offers artisanal products. Sort of a niche market. Maybe one step below niche.

Store

Thank You Sponsors!