iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill Shed - Finally

Started by ncsawyer, September 20, 2015, 09:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncsawyer

I've had my new mill since the spring.  I have finally found time to get started on my mill shed.  It is going to be a simple 20x48 pole barn with poles set 12ft on center.  I left out the center pole on one side of the barn and will clear span that 24ft section with a piece of steel.  That's where the mill will sit.  Don't want a pole in the way of loading logs on the mill.  I plan on building my trusses when I take a week off my regular 9 to 5 job.  Hope to post more pictures as I progress. 

Those last couple pictures are of me setting a piece of 8x8 - 1/2 inch angle that came from an old power line tower. 
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

tmbrcruiser

Congratulations on the building!
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

Magicman

That will be a fine sawmill shed.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandsawmill14

hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

ayerwood

Very nice.  I will be following you as I need to build one sooner than later too.  Congrats!!!

fishfighter

WDH

Looks like a shady spot, too.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

deepsouth.us

This will be a fine shed indeed.
How tall to your top plate? And how deep did you set your poles? Is that an old industrial massey?
Timberking 2000

Ga Mtn Man

Nice spot for a shed and that angle iron was a great find.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

btulloh

Nice looking shed.  I will be following your progress.  Great find on the steel.  Maybe I'll be lucky enough to find a piece of steel like that to build a shed around.
HM126

WV Sawmiller

NC,

Your design looks very much like my lumber storage shed below. I used locust poles cut off my place and partially squared on the side where nailed. I left openings in the front over 18' in case I ever wanted to load 16' lumber with a future forklift/tractor. I got used tin/roofing off a guy tearing down a barn and have enough left to add another 20' extension which I will do one of these day (after deer season and such). That is all the space I have left on the lot there for expansion. My whole shed is costing me under $400 especially since I sold some left over tin/roofing a month or so back.

Good looking work. Be careful. Too many falls reported by members recently while working on such projects. Don't add your name to that list.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

ncsawyer

Quote from: deepsouth.us on September 21, 2015, 07:58:07 AM
This will be a fine shed indeed.
How tall to your top plate? And how deep did you set your poles? Is that an old industrial massey?

The top of the plate is 10.5 feet.  I dug my holes 4 ft and put 6 inches of concrete in the bottom of each hole to set my poles on.  This will hopefully keep them from settling.  My plates are 10 inches, it's just under 10 feet at the bottom of the plate. And the tractor is an industrial Ford 445.  I've had it 3 years and it's definitely paid for itself.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

beenthere

How much of the steel angle header is sitting on the posts at the ends? Doesn't look like much from the pics.
I'd worry about bumping a post with log or loader enough to knock it off the post and the roof fall.. maybe that is an unfounded worry here.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ncsawyer

WV,

That's a nice lumber shed.  I wish we had locust around here.  I had to buy my poles, so I'll have more invested in mine than yours, but it will certainly be  cheaper than hiring somebody to build it.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

ncsawyer

Quote from: beenthere on September 21, 2015, 11:04:32 PM
How much of the steel angle header is sitting on the posts at the ends? Doesn't look like much from the pics.
I'd worry about bumping a post with log or loader enough to knock it off the post and the roof fall.. maybe that is an unfounded worry here.

The posts are 6x6, so it's sitting on 3 inch of post on either side.  I bolted it to the posts with 5/8 inch galvanized bolts.  Also there will be a 10 inch plate bolted to the steel that will tie the piece of steel to the post it is sitting on and run back to the end posts to tie everything together.   I'll post some more pictures in a couple days so you can see what I mean.  Hopefully I won't bump a post hard enough too test my design.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

ncsawyer

I've made some more progress on the new mill shelter.  It is to the point where the trusses are ready to be set.  It supposed to rain for the next couple days and some next week.  As soon as it quits raining I will be able to saw the lumber for the trusses, build them, and get them set.  I also have a guy coming to weld brackets on top of the piece of angle to bolt my trusses to.   

These pictures show where I have finished putting the plate and braces all the way around.  I bolted a 2x10 plate to the angle iron as well.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Buddyw

Looking good.
Always nice to have a new building.

ncsawyer

After two solid weeks of rain, it has finally dried out enough to get back to work on the building.  I hope to have the roof on it in a couple of days.   

This is a picture of some of the trusses I made before that were put up.  They span 20 feet and have a 2 foot overhang on each side.

Those are two pictures of my truss setting apparatus.  Which is just an old piece of gas pipeline pipe slid over one of my forks on the tractor.

That's just a good picture of me in action with the mill in the background.  My wife took that one.  She's makes a better photographer than carpenter.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

CaseyK

NC sawyer, project is looking great, thanks for sharing your build with us. Be safe.

Casey K
Home built automated twin blade

WDH

Good idea on the boom lift.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

You are moving right along and looking good.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tburch

It's looking great!!   

Is your property such that where the mill will be (permanently) you don't have to worry about curious eyes from passer-by's?   
Peterson 10" WPF with slabber. Cooks AC36 Diesel.
'94 Ford 4830 Diesel 2WD & FEL.  Norse 450 skid winch.  Logrite fetching arch.  Fransgard Forestry Grapple.

stanwelch

Great looking shed.

It is much nicer milling under cover for the operator AND the equipment.  8)
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Thank You Sponsors!