iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Willow log

Started by GAB, March 01, 2016, 04:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAB

I suspect there are numerous types of willow and I have no clue as to what type this individual has. The question is what would be a use for willow wood. 
The log this individual has is quite large.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Chuck White

Sounds like a Black Willow!

They're the only ones that I know that get really big!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

I saw several Mbf each year for wall paneling.  Willow was my mystery board at last year's Pig Roast.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bkaimwood

Interesting enough, I've seen some nice tops out of Willow...I've declined many free willow logs before seeing them, and since, haven't seen a one...but its coming, I could feel it!!!
bk

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on March 01, 2016, 05:26:14 PM
I saw several Mbf each year for wall paneling.  Willow was my mystery board at last year's Pig Roast.

Lynn:
When you saw willow for paneling what thickness do you saw, and what thickness is it planed to?
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

fishfighter

Never sawed it, but it's a bigger trash tree the hackberry around my parts. They do get about 20" around here and they are very fast growing trees. A 20" is only about a 15-18 year old tree around here and spread like wild flowers.

WV Sawmiller

Isn't willow commonly used in the process of making stringed musical instruments?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Quote from: GAB on March 01, 2016, 07:14:45 PMLynn: When you saw willow for paneling what thickness do you saw, and what thickness is it planed to? Gerald
A full 1" which leaves plenty for shrinkage and the planer. 

A few remaining Black Willow logs and one of the three trailer loads of Willow in the background.

Willow can be some purdy stuff.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cbla

Very nice looking wood! First time I have seen Willow milled

fishfighter

Same here. Does it split? To me, the willows around here are a very soft, wet wood. I would think that when drying, it would split all up.

Guess it will be another log to try on my list of logs to saw. Thanks for the pictures MM.

Magicman

Yes it is very wet to saw and it is subject to end splitting.  Coat the ends before sawing.

This was all used for wall paneling.

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on March 01, 2016, 10:19:45 PM
Quote from: GAB on March 01, 2016, 07:14:45 PMLynn: When you saw willow for paneling what thickness do you saw, and what thickness is it planed to? Gerald
A full 1" which leaves plenty for shrinkage and the planer. 

A few remaining Black Willow logs and one of the three trailer loads of Willow in the background.

Willow can be some purdy stuff.

Thanks
Gerald

isawlogs

Nice whack of logs, my mill is still hip deep in snow!!!   We got another ten inches last night.  :snowball:   Spring is coming .......................  Sometime soon!    :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

See what we are trying to tell you.  :o  Grits keeps the snow away.  :D

isawlogs

You have this "grits" thing all wrong about it and snow,  grit is what one needs for traction on snow.... ;)  Eat your corn whole, on the cob, as bread or biscuits all of them are good. Use the grit for traction.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

Oh my,  :P you may never learn.   :D

fishfighter

Ate a nice mess of them this morning. 8)

thecfarm

I was learned once.   ::)   Nothing that I want to be taught again.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

plowboyswr

Quote from: Magicman on March 02, 2016, 01:52:51 PM
Oh my,  :P you may never learn.   :D

:D seems like I heard a discussion Saturday about all this   say_what   :D  ;)
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

drobertson

So then,, willow is good for paneling, Grits are good for traction, I'm a thinking the paneling thing makes good sense,
and the grits for traction might be considered baiting the wildlife ;D 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

LeeB

Willow has a tendency to never stop moving. HArd to get a straight board for more than just a little while. Very light wood that at one time in the past was used in making artificial limbs. Sometimes known as poor mans walnut. I think I might have a piece or two of it left from when I first started sawing. Milled it free hand with a chainsaw before I even knew there was such a thing as chainsaw mills or band mills.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

fishfighter

Well, as soon as the Mississippi river gets back in it's banks, I will be going to get a few logs and give them a try for some paneling. ;D

tmbrcruiser

I don't know the different types of willow but 40 some years ago in high school shop class I built a book case from willow. Was very much like yellow poplar, light weight and light color. My sister still has the book case.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

Magicman

Quote from: fishfighter on March 08, 2016, 05:59:00 PM
Well, as soon as the Mississippi river gets back in it's banks, I will be going to get a few logs and give them a try for some paneling. ;D 
One of my larger Willow customers corrals them up with his boat and ropes during high water.  He tows them to his property and ties them to trees. 

These were strung out along the road going to his place.  I would saw one, move up, and saw the next.

And then I moved the sawmill down to the lake and sawed some more.

The neighbor brought his loader to handle the logs.

We sawed several stacks.

Purdy stuff.  It was all for wall paneling in the customer's new home.

GAB

Thanks for all the replies.  Apparently there are some uses for it.  This has been educational for me.
Again thanks,
Gerald

OlJarhead

A customer has some 'weeping willow' that fell down.  Some rot in it but big logs.

Thoughts?
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

BigZ La

I would have never considered to mill willow until seeing this thread. My dad rented alot of property when he ran cattle and he would cut small willow around 4" and use for rafters in sheds. Unlimited supply here. It is really nice looking. Never would have known  :D

starmac

From what I understand it is THE best wood to use to make black powder too.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Thank You Sponsors!