iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using the forest as carbon storage - and get payed for it?

Started by Nils Jonsson, January 20, 2021, 03:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stavebuyer

Most I am familiar with dumped the acreage for deep discounts to its true retail. Didn't get anything close to its true value. Frist thing the new owners do after high grading the SMZs is call the surveyor and auctioneer.

SwampDonkey

Mill ground doesn't sell for much around here, averaging $250/acre for large tracts. I know one buyer who thought it would be a chance to sell camp lots. Never worked out. He got a nature trust outfit to buy him out for 4x what he paid. Only standing timber was along riparian edge, with a lot of that blown down. It's 100% treed, but not mature enough to harvest wood. Used to be riparian roads that followed the main creek for miles. Never maintained for years, all grew up. In a lot of places the ones keeping them old roads maintained these days are trail clubs, which get mostly government money and what ever they can spare from trail pass money. I see camp lots have sprung up along rivers in recent years where you're not allow to fish or require a crown reserve license.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

petefrom bearswamp

Had our meeting last Saturday
We received $4,800 + for our 3,800 acres.
It seems-this program has gone away.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Ron Scott

A giant Oregon fire shows the limits of carbon offsets in fighting climate change.

This might be of interest. It's complicated!

To help counter their greenhouse gas pollution, Microsoft and other companies invested millions in a project to store more carbon in Southern Oregon trees. 

The 2021 Bootleg Fire upended that plan.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/a-giant-oregon-fire-shows-the-limits-of-carbon-offsets-in-fighting-climate-change/
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!