iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Boss is down!

Started by Southside, February 27, 2021, 09:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

Jeff is up in da UP and wanted to say hello to everyone. Video evidence of his great snowshoeing skills! 

https://youtu.be/EFN32l1FXkg
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

looks like fun... that is how ole people break their hops!   8)   :o   :(   :)   :D
edit:  hips!  thanks OGH!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on February 27, 2021, 09:39:17 PM
looks like fun... that is how ole people break their hops!   8)   :o   :(   :)   :D
A lot of us old folks don't break our hops, we consume the byproducts of them. Now HIPS, those are a different matter.
 Those are Adirondack style snowshoes Jeff has and I have a pair, they are not for sissies and take some time to get used to. Looks like those bindings have the heel tied in pretty good and that makes it even harder, I don't know if I could use them that way so Jeff is doing mighty well with them as rigged. Looks like he has a beautiful day for it!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

RAYAR

WoW! ... LOL The tail of the snow shoes should not be lifting off of the snow, they should drag as a rudder.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

SwampDonkey

The glaciers are growing UP there. Been known to consume the unprepared. :)

I was looking to buy a new pair, and you can't find a pair of snowshoes even at Faber's.  Well, you can, but just those crap short aluminum knockoffs. :D :D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

randy d

I have all ways felt that snow shoes are a wonderful tool but recreation not so much we have put lots of miles on snow shoes trapping Beaver and coyotes I have the Alaskan trail style. It's always wise to have someone else break trail.  Randy

dgdrls

It's always funny when someone else falls on their bum :D

I broke my modern LL Bean snowshoes this year, the webbing failed,  and yes, they gave me a credit no questions
Like @SwampDonkey found, non to be had this year.

Trekking Poles are a great idea with the shoes

D

thecfarm

Good thing the path to the outhouse was shoveled!!
I use to come over here and do that. But I was in my early 20's.I use skis poles to keep me upright. Looks looks the same pair my Father had. I really enjoyed it. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I've put many miles on snowshoes recreating. Haven't this winter, they are in need of repair, or new. I prefer the new option. ;D My treks to the woodlot are at least 3 miles as I go on unplowed road, then 3/4 mile out my main trail, but out around perimeter trails. Three miles probably don't even cover that path, maybe 4. :D And of course I'm not trying to beat any time record. I like to stop and look things over. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Hey! I got cell signal from the outhouse this morning!I took those off the wall of the cabin 5 iminutes earlier where they had been hanging for years. They have a innertube rubber binding. 

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Hilltop366

Even a crappy cell signal is better than none. ;D

Snow shoeing its more of a shuffle than a walk for me.

Texas Ranger

What is this "snow" of which you speak? 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Corley5

The "Elongated Bear Paw" is my favorite style.  No tail to catch brush.  They'll slide past obstacles better.  The regular "Bear Paw" is too wide.  I've got a couple pair of military snowshoes made of metal with coated cable webbing.  They're kind of like that "sport style" in Donk's pic.  They're nice, super durable but I still don't like the tail.  The tail isn't a big deal most of the time but gets in the way working in brush in the sugar bush.  A curled up toe is important to me too.
  I've got a modern pair that I use now.  They're pretty good.  I like the ratchet bindings  8) 8)
  Falling down on snow shoes in really deep snow suxs :D :D  No good way to get back up.  Sometimes a handy tree can help to pull yourself up.  I know people that use polls but I'm usually working and need my hands :) :) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

samandothers

Wow when I saw the title I was not sure what to think.  I thought that Southside's wife had Covid.

Glad it was Jeff playing in the snow!  More important I am glad he did not break his hop and have to be PUT down!

doc henderson

in all fairness, breaking your hip can break your hop...or maybe it makes you hop!   8)   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ed_K

I have 3 pr of the E B P's that I pulled the bindings off and put the neets foot oil to. Also had some rebuilding of the webbing from using them for sugaring last yr. We thought we'd need them this yr but the last two storms ended in rain an the snows down to 6"s. But ya never know what next week's storm will be. Could get a march blaster :o.
Ed K

YellowHammer

My artificial hip hurt just watching the video.  So did my funny bone.   :D :D

The good news is that I'm not sure I've even ever seen snowshoes in real life, unless they were hanging on the wall of a novelty restaurant.  Just one more reason to live down south.  No snow and no snowshoes.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Corley5 on February 28, 2021, 09:07:58 AM
 The "Elongated Bear Paw" is my favorite style.  No tail to catch brush.  
Mine too. :)

Jeff

thecfarm

You have some snow up there!!!
Maybe knee high here. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

About the same there Ray. Maybe a bit more. We are home now. :)

thecfarm

WV Sawmiller

I can't say anything about them since I never tried them. The video did remind me of the little guy on laugh-in on the tricycle. :D Glad no permanent damage was done.

Laugh-In Tricycle on Make a GIF
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

petefrom bearswamp

Many miles on them marking TSI and sawtimber as well as stringing sap lines
Havent been on them since 2006 when I retired.
Gave my last pair to my son, good riddance.
I imagine Ron Scott got a kick out your attempt.
I fell many times in snow a lot deeper than that and it aint fun.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

maple flats

I've got plenty of miles on those things. Doing maple about 10 yrs ago, I was working on some lines in one direction while 2 of my crew were working in the opposite direction. As I crossed a small wash out,  my binding allowed one shoe to turn and my foot went down up to my crotch. I at the time was climbing a steep section, at about a 50 degree incline. It seems there was some brush under, where my foot landed. I called for help, but with all the snow and likely 800+ feet distance, my helpers couldn't hear me. We had no cell signal there. It took me about half an hour to get myself out.
After that I bought different bindings, Marc's bindings. Never had that issue again.
I think it was the same year, in the area where my workers had been working, that we had about 4' of snow on the ground. The hills in about 1/3 of my sugar bush were at about 45 degrees. I recall climbing, sideways to get up, but the snow was soft enough that even with my largest snowshoes I sunk in about 14-16". Climbing sidestep, up that steep of an angle with all that snow really took a lot out of me. After one trip up the hill, I opted for future climbs to walk about 100 yds to a spot where the incline was only about 30 degrees. After that I climbed to more gradual slope, then worked the tubing and tapping going down the steeper areas. In time we got done.
The steepness was why I'd been working in the other direction when I got stuck, while my 2 workers who were about 19-21 were working on the steep hills (I was about 63-65 at that time).
whichever year it was, that I think was the deepest snow I ever had to tap in.
Then 6-7 years later I went back to tapping just my own woods, there I have no hills, just gently undulating old lake bottom (that's how my forester described it, he said it had been under a lake at the end of the last ice age.), thus maple flats!
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!