iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill insurance

Started by Norwiscutter, May 27, 2004, 07:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norwiscutter

In the process of getting some insurance to do some portable sawmilling. What companies out there have specific plans for insuring our type of operation and what kind of rates are ya dealing with?  Not real sure if the local guys here are trying to sell me stuff I don't need or if the rates are fairly normal.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

FeltzE

I checked with a company that would insure my portable mill, started asking questions...

If I'm on site and the property owner pinches a finger on the saw or in the lumber .... am I covered... Nope.

If I have an employee (or unpaid helper)  gets hurt helping, .... Nope

IF the engine blows up and injures a non employee, non helper,   Yep.

If my mill burns up,. Nope

If someone steals my mill, Nope

Car runs me over,  wrecks mill, Nope..

So much for portable  sawmill insurance. Better to look at a small business policy covering the business for liability, fire and theft. If you have employees or helpers make sure your covered in the workmans comp arena.

It will be more expensive but you will actually be covered

For anyone currently insuring their mill, I would take a VERY close look at your fine print and see just what you are covered for.

Farm insurance may cover you under fire and theft but they may turn and not cover other business equipment.

Homeowners generally will not cover you under fire and theft unless you have a specific rider covering by name that kind of heavy equipment because it is generally considered manufacturing or business related.

Eric

ladylake

Seems kind of funny I can insure my snowmobile for $150 a year (where you have a real chance of using it) but can't hardy buy bandsaw insurance.
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Norwiscutter

Just talked again with my insurance guy, great guy by the way, but anyways, the company that underwrites my main business doesn't touch portable mills... Says we are too dangerous. :( Asked if it could be maybe classified as part of a small scale logging operation, or as part of a landscaping business.  He said it would be no problem setting up either of the two, but the sawmilling part of the opperation wouldn't be covered ;)
So, if anyone has some recomendations on a good company that will cover our type of business, preferably in the upper midwest, please let me know.

Jeff

NORWISCUTTER,

Call Tom Buckingham at Forest Insurance Center agency. Tell him that Jeff Brokaw sent you. He will treat you right. Hopefully he can get you the best deal. They are licensed in Wisconsin and Michigan,

1-800-272-7805
http://www.forestinsurancecenter.com

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Norwiscutter

I tell ya, what would I do without you guys?  Thanks for the great link Jeff.  Maybe you could convince them guys to sponser the site. ;)  I'll certainly mention it when I talk to him again next week.

Jeff

I guess I never noticed you were in Eagle River before. Tammy and I stayed the night there when we went up to Chets last month. At least I think it was last month. Pretty little town. I bet it gets nuts come tourist season though...

Norwiscutter

Today the madness begins... >:( >:( >:(

Jeff

We live in a resort town also with a state park to boot. "20 lakes in 20 minutes" is our town motto. Budd lake seperates us from town. On our side it stays quiet other then yardsale traffic. I dont go to town on weekends.

duke401

my farm ins. wrote it on my farm plan as i have had ins. with them for 25 years. they grandfathered it in an no problem.
duke

Norwiscutter

Got the whole insurance thing taken care of yesterday. My agent called the president of some group, who called the president of some other group, who called some one else...well you get the picture.  Anyways, it surprisingly turns out that it was still a dang good deal by the time the whole thing reached my check book.  Have had a claim or two before and I am very happy with the way my company has been on the ball.

Jeff, we are fortunate enough ;)  to have "the largest chain of inland lakes in the world" right here in Eagle River, just a convienient  4-6 hour drive from Milwaukee and Chicago.  The best part about it is that all the traffic bottlenecks down to one bridge right in town. There is no way around the Zoo unless you go 10-12 miles out of the way... which normally is worth it.

I really can't blame em though, I go north in the summer as well. Got so fed up around here, I figured I would just drive as far north as I possibly could to get away from this mess. Ended up in Copper Harbor, where I just picked up a forty to spend all my free time.  ???

I gotta admit though, these summer people love the rustic mantles and bartops that require very special pine logs and extreemly complicated methods of sawing.  ;) ;)

Thank You Sponsors!