iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Magic Bucks 2015

Started by Magicman, November 24, 2015, 09:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

OK, a thread with no bucks yet.  I looked at Magic Bucks 14 and it was December 8th before the first buck was brought in last year.  A Grandson has already taken two archery does.

My opening morning this past Saturday was typical.  At 6:50 I saw two bucks at ~75 yards and then at 7:20 I had two bucks feeding on acorns at the same distance.  One was a quite nice 8 point with some sort of odd shape on the right antler.  I decided to pass.  Saturday evening was very bad windy and Pat & I only saw one doe.

I bought 300 lbs of ammonia nitrate that I will put out Saturday evening before the forecast rain Sunday & Monday.

I plan to be in my favorite perch Friday & Saturday AM, and in the Straw Field both evenings. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

I had an 8 point @ 25 yards Friday morning and then a much nicer one Friday evening @ about 125 yards.  He hooked his antlers into an overhanging limb and freshened a scrape.  Only a spike this morning looking lonesome.  The season is still too early to shoot a smaller buck.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I got lucky and got a nice 8-Pointer yesterday morning.

Hunting with my brother, he was driving and I was sitting!

Pics to follow whenever his better half  ;D sends them to me!  :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

coxy

chuck I should be up there hunting keep seeing the same 4 does hoping the big one comes in if not 2 more weeks and those doe are going to be lunch/dinner this winter :) its hard to make soup out of the horns anyway  :D

Chuck White

They all look the same once they're in a vacuum bag!  (Old Saying)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

fishfighter

It has been so hot here, the deer are only moving at night. Skeeters are so bad too! Yesterday hit 80F. :( We do have some cooler weather coming in tomorrow. ;D

barbender

My 15 year old daughter, Kiara, got this nice 9 pointer for her first deer. Good thing too, 'cause it was the only one for the family. Her ol' Dad hasn't been keeping up on the venison, unfortunately :( Actually, the last 5 years, I've been building our house and haven't had time to hunt. I never even saw myself as a person that would ever say that either- "no time to hunt". My wife has been shooting all the deer during that time, now my daughter too. What do they need me for? ;D
Too many irons in the fire

WV Sawmiller

Barbender,

What do your wife and daughter need you for? They need you for the heavy lifting and to skin and butcher their deer. Congrats to your daughter.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

My food plots were in need and this slow rain that we are getting should soak the ammonia nitrate into the ground quite nicely.  Of course when that many deer noses are stuck in it every evening/night what could grow?

petefrom bearswamp

Congrats Chuck
I didnt get much chance to hunt DeGrasse this yr, but nobody in the club even saw a buck.
they are scarce here after our opening day massacre.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

barbender

I made the post, and forgot to attach the picture ::) So I went back and modified. WV, you're right, they just need me for gutting, skinning, and butchering ;D  Actually, my Dad had to come gut this one, as I was working an hour away. So they didn't need me at all this time :D

coxy

nice buck  8) glad to see the young ones hunting   my daughter also hunts  but will not go by her self she was only 12 at the time now 19 and we where rabbit hunting and I was the dog  ::) and pushed a bear passed her at about 10 yards so she  still thinks that will happen again  :-X ;D do you know what it weighted it looks bigger then the ones we have in ny  :) is that a ruger  06 I like the stocks on them

Gearbox

Nice deer Barbender . I never fired a shot .2 of the kids in camp got does 1 spike and a 10 point . Doing sausage tomorow . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

barbender

Coxy, getting a bear when you were expecting a bunny would freak me out :o We didn't weigh the deer, I would guess he dressed out about #180, not huge but a nice solid 3 year old I would guess. Oh, and the rifle (my wife's) is a Remington Mountain Rifle in .260 Rem. I'm pretty fond of that rifle, but my wife will hardly let me touch it :D I really like the .260 caliber, it sits right between a 243 and 7mm-08. Basically it kicks like a 243, but you can get 120 or 140 grain bullets for it.  I'd like to get another one, but they are hard to come by as Remington never really pushed the cartridge and it's not very common anymore.

Gearbox, as long as I have sausage to grind, I don't care who shot it ;)

Magicman

The .260 is popular here especially with the ladies & youngsters.  All of mine have 7mm08's.

coxy

I have the short 260 ruger  and love it I have tried to get another one but they don't make them anymore its long barrel only  >:(

Magicman

I made a quick trip to the Cabin this afternoon.  First to replace the start/generator solenoid on one of the golf cars, and then to make an evening hunt.  I saw a total of 21 deer which included 4 bucks.  One spike, two 8 points, and this guy that I had watched feeding on acorns opening morning.

He is a very nice mature buck standing here at about 75 yards.

Most of the time he as doing this.  I watched him make at least a half dozen scrapes.

Here he is at 100 yards when he turned for one last look before he crossed the creek in the background.

coxy

MM  he was not a shooter or is there a bigger one out there  ;D

Magicman

He is definitely a shooter in my book.  This is twice now that I have had him within 75 yards or less and not shot although both times I watched him for over probably 10 minutes or longer.  I would not expect to see anything larger than him but the season is still young and I enjoy going and watching.

Yesterday I was trying out a new camera and those were the first pictures that I have made with it.  I now have proof of what I saw.  ;)

coxy

beenthere

Must have had a good zoom lens on that new camera.  What do you have to take the great picture?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dustyhat

Barbender, congratulate that girl for us,  will congratulate these other guys when they show us some horns on the ground :D 

samandothers

Great picture of daughter with deer! That is wonderful!

Magic Man, glad you figured out how to use new camera!

Magicman

Thanks, but I have not figured it all out yet.  I was supposed to watch the included CD this afternoon, but someone fell asleep.

beenthere, it is a Canon T5 SLR package which included an 18 X 55 and a 75 X 300 lens.  I had good lenses with the old Canon A1, but of course it was film.  The old lenses will not work on the new auto focus cameras because the camera does not have the split prism for focus, and also because the old lenses do not have the electronics that the new ones have.  I bought it knowing that I could return it if I was not satisfied, but so far so good.

Jeff

That there deer be a dandy.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!