iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dreams of a cabin

Started by Jeff, December 04, 2013, 01:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdtuttle

Jeff,
Not sure how large you want the cabin but thinking "out of the box". Have you heard much about tiny house nation? Building codes don't apply so you could use rough cut & build on a trailer. Another thought at least for NY codes is they don' regulate structures under 144 sq. ft. If it's similar there you could build several small buildings & create a complex.. Cooking cabin, sleeping cabin, lounging cabin, I think you get the picture. I'm a code enforcement officer in NY & don't agree with some codes. Fortunately I am able to allow building with rough cut.
Good luck & I hope you are able to see your dream of a cabin happen..
Jim
Have a great day

Dave Shepard

jdtuttle, can you build those as a primary building, or only as an accessory? We can build up to 200 square feet in MA, but it has to be an accessory to a code compliant dwelling.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

landscraper

I think Holmes is referring to section 104? of the IBC - if so here is an excerpt.  Emphasis added by me.  Far as I can tell Michigan uses IBC at least as of 2012.

"International Building Code 104.11

Alternative materials, design and methods of construction
and equipment. The provisions of this code are not
intended to prevent the installation of any material or to prohibit
any design or method of construction not specifically prescribed
by this code
, provided that any such alternative has
been approved. An alternative material, design or method of
construction shall be approved where the building official finds
that the proposed design is satisfactory and complies with the
intent of the provisions of this code, and that the material,
method or work offered is, for the purpose intended, at least the
equivalent
of that prescribed in this code in quality, strength,
effectiveness, fire resistance, durability and safety."

As far as the liability part - section 104.8 touches on at least part of that - the inspector is not liable to begin with.  As far as the county liability, and setting precedent - I don't know. 

"International Building Code 104.8

Liability. The building official, member of the board of
appeals or employee charged with the enforcement of this
code, while acting for the jurisdiction in good faith and without
malice in the discharge of the duties required by this code or
other pertinent law or ordinance, shall not thereby be rendered
liable personally and is hereby relieved from personal liability

for any damage accruing to persons or property as a result of
any act or by reason of an act or omission in the discharge of
official duties. Any suit instituted against an officer or
employee because of an act performed by that officer or
employee in the lawful discharge of duties and under the provisions
of this code shall be defended by legal representative of
the jurisdiction until the final termination of the proceedings.
The building official or any subordinate shall not be liable for
cost in any action, suit or proceeding that is instituted in pursuance
of the provisions of this code."

There are numerous other sections that talk about the authority of the code enforcement official to vary from the rules, etc.  It comes down to whether he wants to or not.  If it takes him out of his comfort zone it's a tough argument to win.  Is he just an inspector or is he the head of the inspections department?  I would try to go at least one level above him and plead your case.  If you bring your lifetime of experience as a commercial sawyer of lumber to light, and plead a hardship that you are financially hindered by not being able to use your own lumber, you might get lucky and find a sympathetic ear higher up the food chain.  I'd also work the "at least the equivalent" angle of Section 104 to offer the upsizing of members. 

Good luck, don't let them get you down.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

Corley5

What about using "ungraded" material in Chippewa County for constructing barns and other outbuildings etc.?
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

I didn't ask about that. This guy has my number.  When I started talking to him, he asked me if my property was the one with the shallow crawl space excavation. I said yes. He said it was a nice building spot. He had stopped and walked around it and looked at the soil types. "Good drainage" he said.  He was looking to see if I had put any footings in without a permit dime to a dollar. I knew I could prepare the site without a permit. He acknowledged that.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

jwilly3879

As an inspector I wouldn't go on property without permission. It is called trespassing, or in some cases "Illegal Search".

BCsaw

Jeff, in my experience, they (inspectors) have NOT offered up alternatives or likely solutions. I have found alternatives because of others that were more educated than I on the local codes. I found this information out by talking to people who have lived in the area for a long time and had many experiences with the local inspectors.
It sounds like you have been doing your homework, but I don't want to see you give up. A drive around talking to folks or making phone calls to the right people may open a door.

Some dreams are made to be realized. I almost gave up a bunch of times on our house build but we are still making plans and getting set for it. You may have to change things up a few more times, but you may get there.

Good luck! ;D
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Fundyheather

One time I was in a bad spot trying to get permission to put a doorway in a fieldstone basement.  The solution was to get a retired engineer to 'stamp' it (for a few bucks.)  The 'stamp' trumped everything including the inspectors liability issues.  Know any 'tin ringers?'  You may want to talk to somebody stamping structural stuff.

Otherwise rock walls will probably work and anything built on tires.  I see mammoth older motor homes going for about the new cost of the gen set.  You only tow it once, the dishes are already in the cupboard and there is no tax bill in the mail.  Same deal applies to sea cans around here.  My basecamp at the road is a hollowed out 30' camper trailer with adjoining 20' container for my trikes, saws and snowmachine. 
Best luck!

Jeff

calb

Jeff, I think you might want to contact me.  I have just logged in for 60 minutes as I am not a "full time member" of the forum but have been lurking on this site for about 6 months now.  i came across your problem with the log cabin in Chippewa County.  I  am a Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Michigan and there is a possibility that I may be able to help you.  I have quite a bit of experience with the Michigan building codes and have "worked" with multiple instances where alternative methods were approved.  The biggest hurdle you face is the obstacle of having a Code Official who is uncomfortable allowing the construction of something that he can't find in a specific Section and sub-section of the Code book.  I believe you have the access to my registration and can E-mail me directly.  I too am a troll and have a cabin and property in Chippewa Co.

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum! And thanks for offering to help. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

Welcome to the forestry forum Calb!  Email sent!

landscraper

I believe that is what they call serendipity.

Jeff

You can say that again! :D

landscraper

I hope this works out for you, I will root for David over Goliath every time.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WmFritz

I would love to see this project get back on track.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

BCsaw

That's what I'm talking about! Sometimes things just burst out of the bushes!

;D :D ;D :D

Dave Shepard

Quote from: BCsaw on February 03, 2015, 10:34:57 PM
That's what I'm talking about! Sometimes things just burst out of the bushes!

;D :D ;D :D

That's why I carry a big stick. :D

BCsaw

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum calb.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hilltop366

A glimmer of hope!

Welcome calb.

thechknhwk

Once you get that engineering stamp the code official should wipe his hands of this situation as long as the building matches the drawings or design specifications.  I'm on my second unconventional construction project. 8)

Jim1611

Quote from: Jeff on January 31, 2015, 10:04:57 AM
It looks like my dreams of building a cabin on my property are now over. After spending an hour on the phone with the inspector yesterday it is obvious to me that they only care about protecting themselves and the county they work for. He said the only way I could use my own lumber in any framing application is if it were inspected. He also said he knew of no inspectors that would do it. He also said he didn't care what people said, that building with non-kiln dried lumber was not good. He said that his concerns were not so much for the person building the cabin, but for those that may acquire it down the road.  He said he would work with me and gladly let me use it if I could find a state law that would allow me to do it that would relieve him or his county of any liability down the road, and also allow him to let other people do it because I did it.  I never got confrontational with him, and left the conversation saying I would try to find something, but I left the call with a broken spirit. I know I'll never be able to afford to buy all the store bought framing lumber to make this happen.

If building with non kiln dried lumber is so bad then how have all of these older building structures held up for so long? If these same people were around when this country was founded the settlers would all have died from exposure! Things like this really are a shame. It's your land and you ought to be able to do what you want.
"Let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath."

Thank You Sponsors!