iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How would you do it?

Started by CabinCreations, February 06, 2019, 11:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CabinCreations

Rubberfish - thanks! I know no matter what is built, I will grow into it. 

I am just looking for a place that I am happy to get started in but still have a little room to grow before thinking about an addition like Doc is already alluding to :D. I'll get back to you about your spending limits after I talk to the wife (I mean CFO).

tyler - I like that mobile set-up. The "Sharpening Shed" isn't something that I plan to jump into right away, but I expect that eventually I will want to put my hand in on that too. In the mean time, I see that area as extra mill storage. When I do try sharpening, I may have to borrow the mobile idea. Thanks for the pictures!

2011 LT35HD

tylerltr450

CC,

I would consider trying to stay mobile with them since you loose so much space. Plus when its nice out I roll the setter and sharpener outside to enjoy some of the sun and wind.
Timber Harvester 36HTD25 fully loaded
2006 Dodge 2500 first Auto to NV5600 swap, EFI Live Tune by me
John Deere Tractor
Massey Ferguson 711B SkidSteer

boonesyard

cc. First of all, sorry for the crummy pic. I couldn't figure out how to get it from sketchup to my files, I'll have to get that done eventually. The drawing isn't complete yet, but close enough for comparison purposes.

I went through a similar dilema for my project this spring as well. I want a sawmill shed with enough room to do some lumber drying, how big?? I ended up salvaging rafters that are going to work, so my size was established. 7ea 36' rafters, designed to be on 8' centers. I want a 2' overhang all around so I end up with 32'x48'. I have a 16' door in a center side wall and a 20' door in an end wall. I thought a lot about how to place the saw, work flow, waste, accessibility to the saw for mobile jobs, access for the forklift and how to pile lumber. One thing's for sure, once I get the saw in there, it gets small real fast. I know you want to get it all done with one building, but you never hear anyone say "I made this thing too big". Good luck on your project.   
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

CabinCreations

boonesyard - That is a good looking building and well done in sketch-up too smiley_thumbsup. It worries me that at 32'x48' it feels small with your mill in there. Maybe I will have to re-think this - I guess that is why I posted!

What do you plan to use as a header for the 20' door on the end wall? 
2011 LT35HD

boonesyard

There's a rafter at the endwall, so a bearing header isn't required. I have a 20' 3x12 in that opening and on my sidewall (bearing) at the 16' opening I have a clear 8x12 white oak header.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

CabinCreations

Sorry, I was looking at the sidewall 16' opening. That all makes sense though. Will you mill the 8x12 white oak yourself?
2011 LT35HD

Tin Horse

Quote from: CabinCreations on February 06, 2019, 01:25:05 PM
Tin Horse - You have to get your 'ag' building inspected in Ontario? Our code says what Doc just mentioned. They could make me remove the building if it was completed before an inspector (if required) did their job.
Same here also. I've had it inspected to its close in point. But they they keep the file open til final. Could be years.

Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

CabinCreations

That looks great, Tin Horse! Thanks for sharing!
2011 LT35HD

boonesyard

Quote from: CabinCreations on February 06, 2019, 04:36:59 PM
Sorry, I was looking at the sidewall 16' opening. That all makes sense though. Will you mill the 8x12 white oak yourself?
Yes, I'll be milling all of the banding, beams and posts. Banding and beams will be white oak and the posts will be 18'x6"x6" cedar with 6' if them buried. I live on the river hear and the ground does some crazy stuff with freeze/thaw cycles. With 6' in the ground, it should minimize frost heaving. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

CabinCreations

6' is a long way to go! Will your building require inspections? I was originally concerned with what members can be rough sawn and not graded, but if I don't have to get a building permit and inspections are not required, then I shouldn't have to worry. 
2011 LT35HD

boonesyard

6' is a long way, but I have a bit of experience with these pole sheds and we get some deep frost hear. We just had to dig a hole for a project and the frost was just over 5' deep where they've been driving.

This is considered an ag building, and I don't need an inspection in our county here for this type of shed. I will need to get the electrical inspected but that's not a big deal.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

PAmizerman

My designated sharpening shed is 12'x16'
It is comfortable. I run 158" bands and my sharpener and setter overlap. I can sharpen and set at the same time. If I had longer bands I would not be able to. 

I am thinking about making a desetting and cleaning station but there is not enough room for it. I would not want the shed any smaller.

Woodmizer Sharpening equipment - YouTube
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

DPatton

Quote from: CabinCreations on February 06, 2019, 02:03:51 PM

DPatton - I agree. There is no such thing as a shed that is too big, so I guess my wallet is just to small  :'(

Lol.....yep, same reason why I didn't build the shed I wanted this year! Good luck on you building no matter what size it is. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

tacks Y

Cabin, What part of the state are you in? I put a roof over my mill I think 30' clear span. 40' over all length. Hope to start a kiln shed soon.

CabinCreations

PA - I appreciate you chiming in about your sharpening shed. I watched as your build progressed and was going to ask you dimensions. Thanks! 

Tacks - 30' clear is likely what I will be dealing with. Somewhere in that ballpark at least. I am located just NW of the Pittsburgh airport. 
2011 LT35HD

samandothers

Maybe another reason to separate the mill and the kiln is fire.  If one caused a fire it could take out 2 expensive tools.  This may in itself not be reason to build two but along with the others this may add some incentive if you have the real estate for the multiple buildings.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

For the record, the chemicals in wood that do damage to the structure are water vapor, tannic acid and acetic acid
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

CabinCreations

The fire issue is a great point - for some reason I had not considered that. Real estate is somewhat limited, but I can make a separate building for a future kiln. 

WoodDoc - Thanks for that. I am going to do some reading on the chemicals released, but I think at this point the kiln will no longer be under the same roof as everything else. 
2011 LT35HD

alan gage

I don't think I'd want to saw in a 12' wide shed if I had a choice. If I was in something that narrow I'd want it to be a standalone shed with good access to both sides. I don't know how you unload boards from your mill but I like to either unload them directly onto loader forks or else set them on a set of 4x4's right next to the mill where I can easily pick them up with loader forks. Either way I can do it by only lifting one end of the board at a time.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

CabinCreations

That's a good point - thanks for pointing it out. I will have to consider off-loading a little more. If I take the kiln out, I will have a little more room to play with (if I don't bump up the sharpening area too....  say_what)

A complete layout adjustment may be in order here! 
2011 LT35HD

PAmizerman

My shed over my saw is 12' wide but the tin hangs out the front 2 or 3 feet. It is old tin that is used to pour concrete on so it is heavy enough the wind doesn't affect it.

It works ok. Not ideal but keeps the worst of the weather off. The biggest pain is shoveling all that sawdust out. 

When the shed was built it was over a lt30. And it was never going to turn into a full time business  :D well 6 years later and literally tons and tons of sawdust later here I am 8)

Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

CabinCreations

That's great, PA. Congratulations on your success! This is a part time venture for me - I have been warned not to quit my day job. haha. 

Ah, the sawdust. I have thought about that and have not come up with a good solution. If you got to re-build your saw shed, do you know how you would do it differently? 
2011 LT35HD

doc henderson

CC, I give sawdust to a doc with a cabin off grid, he uses for a composting toilet, and planer chips for friends at work with chickens.  I also make fire starters with candle remnants with chips.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Hilltop366

Quote from: PAmizerman on February 06, 2019, 05:36:56 PMI am thinking about making a desetting and cleaning station but there is not enough room for it. I would not want the shed any smaller.

If the de-setter and cleaner could be made with the blade positioned vertical it would not need to take up much floor space. ?

Woodpecker52

PAmiserman looks like you get to shovel the white suff and the brown stuff, only the brown year round!
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Thank You Sponsors!