iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

clearing around house to prevent fire

Started by davefrommd, November 11, 2003, 04:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davefrommd

My brother lives in the mountains in maryland surrounded by pine trees, oak trees, lots of leaves, branches sticks, twigs. The house probably has a cleared area maybe 50'  on one side of the house, 30' in another and so on.

I have always mentioned he should clear more around his house should there be a fire in the woods. Is there a standard distance a house should be cleared around it for fire safety. Is there someone he can call to look around the property to recommend what should be done like someone from the fire dept. or forrestry service. I'd really appreciate your suggestions. Thanks in advance.  Dave

Tom

I live in a wooded area also.  Fire brands as well as direct heat from the fire are dangerous. The winds from a woods fire can cause the fire to sweep beneath the frame of an off-grade house so keeping an enclosure around the crawl space is important too.  

I have considered installing sprinklers on top of my house that I can turn on in case of fire.  I think they may help by wetting the structure and also by surrounding the structure in a cooling mist.   I've not heard of recommendations for this but it sounds good anyway. :)

Tom

Thanks, Swamp.
It looks like I am in compliance with these recommendations.  I guess there must be some common sense envolved because I didn't know all that stuff. :)

davefrommd

Ok, thanks for your help and advice. I printed out that information from that link that you gave me and also a sprinkler set up sounds like a good idea. I'll pass this information on to my brother and hopefully he will take some sort of action to better prepare should there be a forrest fire.  This forum has been a great help. Dave

Ron Scott

Many local wildland fire departments, State DNR's, and USDA-Forest Service have a Wildfire/Urban Interface Program than provides information, workshops, training, inspections, etc for fireproofing your rural property.

Seek advice from your nearest Fire Agency. Also be sure that they know where your residence is located and what fuel types, and access routes there are in your area.

~Ron

rebocardo

If fire is a very serious threat, imo, what you need is a root type cellar well below ground level with an isolated air space that contains enough air to last 1/2 an hour+.  You need to be somewhere when that 1200 degree blast comes roaring in and by you.

Thank You Sponsors!