iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where wood you put the wood stove?

Started by Sedgehammer, October 28, 2020, 08:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Put it central in the living area and near the roof peak, you have to get heat from the stove to all corners of the house. The further the heat has to travel the cooler it becomes. At least 3 feet clearance above the peak. Put the flu straight up, no turns.The old timers knew this a long time ago in those old square farm houses up here. I built a new house 2 years ago, followed all them rules. Flu stays clean as a whistle even though I check every month of wood burning. Just some powdered soot falls in the pale from the brush. I burn any species of wood off the woodlot from my thinnings.  I've got 43' to the top of the flu including, basement floor to flu join from stove, and double wall stove pipe from stove into flu. Mine is a furnace. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sedgehammer

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 31, 2020, 03:29:41 PM
Put it central in the living area and near the roof peak, you have to get heat from the stove to all corners of the house. The further the heat has to travel the cooler it becomes. At least 3 feet clearance above the peak. Put the flu straight up, no turns.The old timers knew this a long time ago in those old square farm houses up here. I built a new house 2 years ago, followed all them rules. Flu stays clean as a whistle even though I check every month of wood burning. Just some powdered soot falls in the pale from the brush. I burn any species of wood off the woodlot from my thinnings.  I've got 43' to the top of the flu including, basement floor to flu join from stove, and double wall stove pipe from stove into flu. Mine is a furnace. :)
I understand what's best, but the temporary living room will be the garage for the rod some day. There is no ridge in this room. It's a lean to. to get it 3' above the ridge, i wood have to put the stove in the middle of the stair rise, turn to the main shop wall and then turn up through the ceiling/roof. Then my pipe wood be 13' exterior exposed.
Necessity is the engine of drive

Sedgehammer

Quote from: kantuckid on October 31, 2020, 06:40:14 AM
I agree with the red X location as well.
What stove is the next question.
I wood like one that can have the doors open and function properly. I'm more for the snap, crackle, pop and the look of the flames dancing then I am for the heat.
Necessity is the engine of drive

kantuckid

Our Jotul LR stove and the Vermont Castings Encore/Defiance model I rehabbed for my small cabin both have glass doors that burn when open as a fireplace stove. The Vermont Castinmgs appealed to me for my off-grids cabin based on the top loading feature which is also a large, oval, cooking griddle.  
I sold the Fisher stove from my shop. They are indestructible but have no ash pan, a must have for a stove IMO. 
Any stove lacking an ash pan that sits in a living space is gonna be a PITA. 
My wood furnace is coal/wood and has a shaker grate & a huge ash pan,  both VG features to stimulate the fire. There are several brands that have glass and burn solid wood. Napolean is fairly popular modern brand I saw for sale in the used market that has glass. 
After all is said, a wood stove has several unhealthy aspects. Key words are-Chainsaws, your back, your hands, the air within the home, etc.. Even with a well drafted stove the air gets some nastyness in it. My two cents...  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

SwampDonkey

As I said, I have a furnace here with forced air. Has glass door. I have a rocking chair down there, where I sometimes enjoy the flames. :D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!