iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25-RA First impressions

Started by Bibbyman, January 27, 2002, 06:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandmill Bandit

Sorry I forgot to include that. Here it is.

http://www.apinex.com/ret2/agll25an.html

That particular model was the first one I used and damaged. Since I had a good heat sink from the old one I ordered a new module (GM-CW02L) in a high power version and my laser works pretty good in direct sunlight as long as i have a few Q-tips in my pocket to keep the lens clean. Any thing else will damage the lens which is likely what actually caused the failure of me first one.   

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Bibbyman

What does it take to install it on an LT40?

Magic Smoke,  where would one start to look for the laser glasses?

I noticed on the new video for the LT4000 that it had a green laser.   What's the specs on that one compared to the red one?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

BBTom

My original laser died a couple years ago, so I sent it back to the mfg to get it rebuilt and for a bit more they upped it to a 30 mw.  It now works fairly well on cloudy days, but not with direct sun.  The mfg of the original equipment is Cemar Electro, at least they were when I got mine from WM.  They have green lasers also, but they caution that they do not have as long a lifespan as the red. http://www.cemarelectro.com/
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

calw1izl

Bibbyman,

Where did you find the best placement for the laser?  I have one (green) ordered and while there are a bunch of places where it could be mounted, I would like to hear from yourself and others of the best, somewhat bulletproof area to mount it.

Thanks!

Cal
Cal  W1IZL
Cook Saw HD3238, Case 584CK, Cats Claw Sharpener, Setter, way too many misc woodworking tools and equipment

gjgauthier

Bibbyman,

That sounds like a great saw. I'm running a portable gas TimberKing 2000 and a friend of mine has the same exact saw in electric. He calls me a lot to run his saw so I've probably got more hours on the electric than on my own gas saw.

I've got to say I like the electric a lot. For one it's quiet. The loudest noise is the blade. I also like the fact that off is off, not idle. TK runs two motors on  their system, one for the blade and another for hydraulics. At the end of every cut I can turn the blade off and leave the hydraulics on or turn both off after the final cut to enjoy the quiet while stacking.

While you can't hear the motor load like in my gas model, it does have an amp meter on the operator station which is handy to watch. After a while I learned the sweet spot and could modulate travel speed for species and blade quality while maintaining the same amp draw. I've noticed lately though that I'm back to listening to the blade and watching the cut more than watching the amp meter. When I do glance over it's reassuring to see that my instincts have put me near or on the sweet spot of the amp meter again.

Incidentally, the setworks on all TK systems operate like the Accuset. Once you get used to it they're very fast and productive. I wouldn't be without it. I'll also add they're very easy to use once you learn the basics.

Have fun with your new iron.

Greg
Timberking 2000, Logrite fetching arch. Woodmax chipper, Husqvarna 445, Stihl 041, Ford 335 tractor

Bibbyman

Greg, for sure electric has the advantage when you can plug in and not have to rome around.   

But if you check the date on my first post on this topic it was January of 2002.  We've been having fun with it for 11+ years.  6000 hours and a couple million board feet and still sawing great.
Sawing since '94

gjgauthier

Good point on the date Bibbyman. I saw yesterdays posts and never looked at the date of the first post. Oh well. Some conversations are so good they never die.
Timberking 2000, Logrite fetching arch. Woodmax chipper, Husqvarna 445, Stihl 041, Ford 335 tractor

Bibbyman

This topic was started so long ago I don't recognize it at first. I think I brought it up again at 10 year mark. The old mill has had a few updates and mods over the years but still sawing just great.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Quote from: calw1izl on July 15, 2013, 08:19:16 PM
Bibbyman,

Where did you find the best placement for the laser?  I have one (green) ordered and while there are a bunch of places where it could be mounted, I would like to hear from yourself and others of the best, somewhat bulletproof area to mount it.

Thanks!

Cal

Sorry Cal, I missed your question.

I mounted it using Wood-Mizer kit where it would have came from the factory.  It's nearly a bolt on, plug and play install.  The only struggle I had was finding the wire that was tucked back into the wiring harness. It's mounted on the saw head near the dust chute. There are few options as to where it can be mounted. Has to be on head and has to be exactly at blade height.

Sawing since '94

woodyone.john

For a laser for me the most useful would be on the idler side so I know where the idler side guide is going to interfer with the log.Till then I try to load o/s logs butt end first. cheers john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Bibbyman on July 15, 2013, 03:54:31 PM
What does it take to install it on an LT40?

I just ordered all the mounting parts through wood mizer then picked up a power supply at the local electronic supply store including the relay that shuts my laser off after 8 seconds (as set now). the rest was pretty much just experience based for install. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

calw1izl

Bibbyman, John,

Thanks for the info and I think John has it spot on to kill two birds with one stone and figure a way to mount on the adjustable guide side/assembly.  I have two different mounting brackets coming as well and believe either would mount up pretty easily.  Since I plan on powering mine with an external self-contained battery pack, that may prove to be the hardest to find the space to mount up.

Thanks!

Cal  W1IZL
Cook Saw HD3238, Case 584CK, Cats Claw Sharpener, Setter, way too many misc woodworking tools and equipment

Thank You Sponsors!