iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More WV Catfish

Started by WV Sawmiller, October 04, 2016, 09:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

My mom is up for a visit from NW Fla and we went yesterday and caught bait and put out about 50-55 bushhooks (Limb lines). We checked this morning and had 15 catfish (9 Channel cats and 6 flatheads) that weighed 60 lbs total. Biggest fish we got in with was 8 lbs. I had another flathead that likely weighed 10 lbs or so that escaped from my landing net. Sampson had a great time barking at each of them. He only barks at catfish not other types.

We caught more bait this afternoon with help from Molly, my 4 y/o granddaughter. Mom is having a great time spending such quality time with her great granddaughter. They both did a pretty good job keeping me run ragged baiting hooks, taking fish off the hooks and getting lines out of the trees. We will see how we fare in the morning when Molly is along to help us run the lines and take the fish off then go catch more bait for a couple of hours then come home and I'll clean the fish.

Mom and I with this morning's catch - 15 catfish, 60 lbs total
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sandsawmill14

looks like a good morning :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

WV Sawmiller

Took Molly (4 y/o granddaughter) along yesterday to help catch bait and check the lines. Went back this morning and had 7 fish with biggest a 23-1/2 lb flathead. Molly had a blast and my mom was in heaven get ting to spend time with her great granddaughter and fishing. Had one 2-3 lb channel cat on when we baited up tonight. Will take up the lines in the morning as looks to have plenty for a couple of Mom's churches back home to have fish fries.

Focus is not great. Photographer wife was off at a sewing meeting and I lack her skill. This is entire string.

23-1/2 lb flathead. 4 y/o Molly with 86 y/o great grandma
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

Memories are being made, :)
Like that picture of Molly and the fish. Makes her look small.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Czech_Made

Thanks for sharinng WV, looks like a great time.

tule peak timber

Nothing like fresh fish! Fun pics..
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

WV Sawmiller

Mom and I went back and took up the lines today. Had 9 catfish weighed 54 lbs and the biggest was 22-1/2lbs. Wife has pictures but not sent them to me yet. Maybe tomorrow or next day I can add them.

Our 3 day total on the lines was 166 lbs with a 23-1/2 and a 22-1/2 lb fish. Of course the most fun was when Molly was along with her great grandma. Every one of the fish was properly and thoroughly barked at by Sampson.
Howard Green

drobertson

Sir,  you are truly a catfish fisherman! Its like no end to your secret honey hole,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: drobertson on October 16, 2016, 08:42:18 AM
Sir,  you are truly a catfish fisherman! Its like no end to your secret honey hole,,

Pretty much finding fish everywhere I put out my lines. Likely done for the year. Took Mom back Friday to Atlanta for a family reunion yesterday. My brother picked her up there and took her home last night to NW Fla. She took 18 gallons of frozen catfish fillets/nuggets with her. Will donate them to 2 different churches there for a few fish fries. My SIL offered to put them in the freezer at their church but Mom would not go along with that. I guess she was afraid those Baptists would eat her fish and her Methodist friends would go without.

A gallon of cut up fish weighs about 7 lbs and should feed about 21 or so people at a typical fish fry so that should feed close to 400 people.
Howard Green

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

sawmilllawyer

Looks like fun to me. Great fishing your mom should be proud.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Thank You Sponsors!