iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3010 Mule, front diff locking up, HELP?

Started by Old Greenhorn, September 09, 2019, 08:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

ahh. I gotcha. can you get an air hammer in there?

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Crusarius on September 12, 2019, 03:02:04 PM
ahh. I gotcha. can you get an air hammer in there?
Not likely. I could barely get a heavy short screwdriver in there to tap against. Also, I don't like getting too heavy handed until I have exhausted all options, welding up a casting is a chore I don't need. Haste makes waste.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jack S

Hey don't forget how well blue creeper works

mills

One of my brothers is having a similar problem with his mule. I think it was a brake bolt that had come loose and locked up the right rear wheel. It's assumed that my nephew had it running at a pretty good clip at the time. Broke the drive shaft in the splines right where it comes out of the differential. He's been working on it off and on as he had time for the past two months. Still doesn't have it apart yet. Frustrated to say the least. He told me the other day that he would start selling it off as a parts machine, but it's too hard to get em off.  >:(

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, its just like that. Very frustrating. I need this machine to do anything. If I can sneak out the spider assembly at some point at least I can drive/push it it my other bay where I can set it up better to work on it easier and get it further off the ground. Right now it is in a parking bay with very little working room. I have to get the bar finished and delivered/set up. Then I can ficus on this. I am not beat yet, not by a long shot. Fixing it is my only option.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Fergy

I brought one of these last week, 2008 3010 4x4 3 cyl diesel. They sound like they are real fun to work on. 
Too much gear and no idea

Old Greenhorn

Generally they are pretty easy. But when you get into the detailed precision mechanisms they are very tight and you have to be careful. This is one of those jobs that is just not fun on any level. I am very pleased with the machine and use it hard. I am not an abuser like some folks running through waist high water then wondering why it won't start, but I do work it hard with the skidding work. It just comes with the territory.

Old Greenhorn

Well, this wasn't a fun day at all.
 I spent the whole day trying to get this thing apart and every little screw and bolt was a fight. I had to remove the front wheels and hubs, then the axles, then the bumper and winch. The winch has what should be weld tacked nuts on the inside, but the welds broke and the nuts spun. That killed over an hour while I had to disassemble the winch inside the frame and remove it in pieces. Still could not get the differential out, then found out that I had to remove another bracket I thought was part of the frame. Got the diif. out and confirmed my worst fear.
I think it's broke:

Yeah, I'm screwed:

I still have to pinon assembly hanging from the drive shaft because I can't get the spline to slip. I'll work on the tomorrow night. The carrier bearing is keeping me from pulling the whole shaft out. 

The shop is a mess, I guess this falls in the 'carnage' category.

I  still had to mow the lawn badly. Got the back yard done slowly, it's way too tall.Started the front and ran out of gas. re-filled, then it wouldn't start. pushed it back to the shop by hand and after and hour of charging the solenoid won't even pull in the starter. Guess I have to fix that now. I just can't seem to win this week. I shut the shop doors, turned off the lights, took a shower and opened a bottle of Jack with Honey.

Crusarius

yech. thats exactly what I was expecting to see with your description. At least you know your on the right path now :)

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Crusarius on September 15, 2019, 08:43:22 PM
 At least you know your on the right path now :)
Wish I was on a different path for sure. ;D Yeah, your tip to turn the shaft instead of the wheels cinched it for me. Thanks again. Still, I am looking at over a grand before this is all done. That's a lot for a little machine but this machine does an awful lot for us. I am lost without it.

btulloh

Rough day, but you're getting closer to the finish line. Good time to break out the bottle of liquid wrench. Tomorrow is another day. 
HM126

Crusarius

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on September 15, 2019, 08:53:06 PMStill, I am looking at over a grand before this is all done.

Price a new one. a set of tires is more than that. your still in a good area.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Crusarius on September 16, 2019, 07:24:56 AM
Quote from: Old Greenhorn on September 15, 2019, 08:53:06 PMStill, I am looking at over a grand before this is all done.

Price a new one. a set of tires is more than that. your still in a good area.
A new one is about 1,050 bucks. The tires I can get for about 400. I found a good looking used diff. for 600. The gear set alone is 650 new.

Crusarius

wow mules are cheap. The qlink frontrunner (rhino clone) that I have is now being sold by 3 or 4 different manufacturers with their names on it. They start at $7600. One of the manufacturers is cub cadet.

Old Greenhorn

Well it doesn't 'feel' very cheap. a 2019 version of this one is $8-9k plus all the extras. Mine has a winch, heat, full hard cab with doors, plow, etc. All that adds another 4k or so.
 I bought it for $500 and the engine was in 5 cardboard boxes. I out 40 hours an $1,500 in parts into it to get it in shape. No regrets, it has certainly earned it's keep and the proof of that is how dead in the water I am without it. While it was bought on a 'just for fun basis', it has become invaluable which was made even clearer last night when I shared the news with my wife of the cost involved. She just said, "Well we need that thing running and it could be worse. Let's get it done." I didn't expect that.
 I ordered a used differential and a new set of tires a few minutes ago for a total of $995.75. Doesn't feel cheap. ;D

Crusarius

I bought mine for the drivetrain. I was planning on building a fast side by side out of it. When I bought it the only thing holding it together was the mud. 

After I saw how cheap parts are and needing the parts either way I decided to put it back together and its been my plow ever since. Amazing how much snow they can and will push.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Crusarius on September 16, 2019, 10:21:31 AMAmazing how much snow they can and will push.
Oh yeah for sure. I have run chains on all 4 tires for a bit when we had ice and it worked great. I routinely drag 1,000# and up logs with it and the little arch.
 The cost stings a bit, but I am taking advantage of the time and access to fix, clean, paint some other stuff while I am in there, re-grease the winch and put a new line on that too. I had changed out one of the axles last fall when I mis-diagnosed a problem. The old one is still fine, so I might change the other side for new as long as it is out anyway. I am sure I will find some other stuff to fix too. I didn't even think about looking around in there last night. Tonight I'll hit it with a more positive attitude.

Crusarius

I have been scared to put chains on mine. Since I only have 1 set of brand new very aggressive v bar chains they would go on the front. I am concerned the axle will not hold up to the extra load being applied.

I do need to replace the front springs to. When I lift the plow the front stops sinking when the plow frame hits the ground.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Crusarius on September 16, 2019, 10:41:44 AM
I have been scared to put chains on mine. Since I only have 1 set of brand new very aggressive v bar chains they would go on the front. I am concerned the axle will not hold up to the extra load being applied.

I do need to replace the front springs to. When I lift the plow the front stops sinking when the plow frame hits the ground.
Yeah, that is something I need to do also. The cab weight really loads the front, then the plow too. They make a 'heavy duty' set for mine, but not sure if that will help enough. They ain't cheap either.
 I had no problem with the chains, alothough I did wrap one once and it tore out the brake cable. You gotta watch 'em and don't use them on blacktop unless there is ice.

Crusarius

may be worthwhile to try then. its not often I need them but may make it so I can plow uphill more often/.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Crusarius on September 16, 2019, 10:59:58 AM
may be worthwhile to try then. its not often I need them but may make it so I can plow uphill more often/.
I don't plan on chaining the fronts again. Too much hassle with steering etc. But then you never know. If we get an ice storm..... but that is very rare here, bad ones anyway.

Crusarius

I have 2 spots on my driveway that are the steepest spots that get just enough sun to cause ice. But 4wd usually works fine. Just have to pay attnetion to my tires and make sure I don't lose a bead. Not that I have ever done that before....

Old Greenhorn

Well, the hits just keep on comin'! I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I couldn't get the front yoke off the differential and left the driveshaft hanging. I had that task for tonight. I dis-assembled the carrier bearing in situ, it came apart like it was just made last week. Clean as a whistle, nothing stuck, took 3 minutes. Then the whole shaft came right out. Now I just had to get the yoke to slide off. HAH! I beat, cursed, hammered...nada. So I took the u-joint out, it too is clean as a whistle on the inside. Now I had a straight shot to drive the spline out of the yoke. It's tough to hold, but I got in some good whacks with a 2 pound lump hammer and not a budge of movement. Any more force, and I am going to be damaging stuff.
SO, given my timeline and not wanting to have to wait for parts beyond Monday, I ordered a yoke and U-joint. It's only money, right? >:(
Oh, and the lawn tractor got some attention. I had to pull out the battery and shelf to get at the solenoid. It tested bad. SO I need a new one. Will pick it up tomorrow if I can make time. Then at least I will have something to fill my evening tomorrow. And if I get it fixed and get the lawn finished, I can start working on the winch to get those nuts welded in so I don't have to go through that nightmare again.  :D
Geez.

btulloh

I thought I had a lot of stuff breaking lately, but you've got me beat by a mile.  :D
HM126

Old Greenhorn

So why don't I feel like a winner?  :D ;D
 I have been through much worse. Like busted plows and snowblowers as I watch the second foot of snow hit the ground. One winter I broke and fixed 3 tractors and 2 snowblowers repeatedly through the winter until by spring they were all hopelessly broken. It didn't matter because we had so much snow that I needed a loader to come in and move it to make room. My john Deere had a piece of the block casting broken off that held the coil on. Half of the stuff got fixed through the summer, the other half got sold or junked. I still find a bolt now and then from one of those machines.
 It could always be worse, and sometimes it has. This isn't bad, just expensive, and my time is more valuable to me now that I am older.

Thank You Sponsors!