iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spider Lillies: UPDATE

Started by Magicman, September 21, 2011, 10:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

They have popped up everywhere the last few days.

They were not there this past Saturday.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jasperfield

Those are nice. Do they usually bloom in late Summer or has unusual weather caused a late bloom?

Radar67

My Grand Father used to say when the spider lillies bloomed it was 6-8 weeks til frost. It is pretty close to accurate. I may have to dig some up for my place.  ;)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

DanG

They are showing up around here too.  Just noticed them in the last couple of days.  That is an interesting plant, to lay dormant so long, then exhibit that phenomenal growth rate. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Magicman

Quote from: Radar67 on September 21, 2011, 11:01:35 PM
I may have to dig some up for my place.  ;) 
There are many at the Cabin, so you will have an opportunity Saturday.  Matter of fact, you can dig while everyone else is eating.   food1 digin1 digin_2
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Radar67

I see what you are trying to do Magic, but I'll show you a little magic myself by digging and eating.... :D :D :D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Texas Ranger

They just came around here in Texas, as well, here they are called surprise lillies.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Taylortractornut

We have some white ones pop up at work.   After the first 7 years dad ran the landfill they never were there.    THen I took over while he was sick and burnt a brush pile.       THen they poped up there.        THey bloom earliers than the pink ones. 

I can mail a few bulbils to any one on here but it will take about 2 seasons to bloom
My overload permit starts after sunset

Magicman

Yes TR, they are also called Surprise Lillies here too. 

They sprout leaves to gather nutrients at a different time of the year.  If you cut those leaves off, you will get no flowers.

Coon

Magicman, do you have a nosebag handy for Radar67, seems as if he is gonna need one if he is gonna eat'n'dig.   :D  We got a couple around here somewhere but don't think I could get it to ya on such short notice.   ;) 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Magicman

I just happen to have a nose bucket.   ;D

Magicman

Quote from: Radar67 on September 21, 2011, 11:01:35 PM
I may have to dig some up for my place.  ;) 

Quote from: Magicman on September 22, 2011, 07:26:27 AM
Matter of fact, you can dig while everyone else is eating.

Quote from: Radar67 on September 22, 2011, 09:51:52 AM
I see what you are trying to do Magic, but I'll show you a little magic myself by digging and eating.... :D :D :D

The next time you say "digging and eating", I'll understand.

But personally, I really think that the Banana Pudding was better.

Rocky_Ranger

We call these types of Lillie's "Naked Ladies", due to the lack of leaves when they flower.....  Not my definition - this one come from the South.
RETIRED!

Autocar

We have a simular type plant , we call it a surprize lily. They havs a flower like a easter lily.
Bill

Bill Gaiche

MM, i will vote on the banana pudding as best show and taste, bg

Woodwalker

Quote from: Taylortractornut on September 22, 2011, 11:09:09 AM
I can mail a few bulbils to any one on here but it will take about 2 seasons to bloom

I would like a few, I'll PM an address.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Thank You Sponsors!