iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My mill passed the smoke test

Started by warren46, December 05, 2013, 07:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warren46

It has been to long since I posted about the installation of my new to me Timberharvester mill.  Got a saw shed up and most of the roof on.  The mill is up on foundations and today the electrician completed the connections for the 40 hp motor.  The electrical installation was more complicated than expected (read $$$$$) because the previous owner ran the mill on 480V and I have 230V available.  New starter, disconnect switch and heavier wire by a factor of two.

Just before dark this afternoon we pushed the button and the motor came to life but had the wrong rotation.  Switched two of the leads and got the right rotation.  Just barely tested the hydraulics and they seem to work well.  I cannot saw yet since the idler pulley had a seized bearing that had spun in the bore.  A replacement is somewhere between the mil and St Louis.  If UPS does what it usually does I should make sawdust on Monday.  Just over one month since the day the mill arrived on my site. I am an excited happy camper.

Pictures coming this weekend.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

Magicman

Congrats on being an excited happy camper.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Stephen1

Almost there, a lot of work so far.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

5quarter

Very excited for you Warren. I like those big TH mills. looking forwards to your pics.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Red Good

Can you explain to me what you had to do to go from 480 to 240? Did you get 480 installed or a phase converter or a new motor . I have a 480 polisher and only 240 available so would like to know how . Thanks .Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

thecfarm

Good to hear that you are so close to sawing with that mill.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

warren46

Quote from: Red Good on December 05, 2013, 11:03:08 PM
Can you explain to me what you had to do to go from 480 to 240? Did you get 480 installed or a phase converter or a new motor . I have a 480 polisher and only 240 available so would like to know how . Thanks .Red

Most three phase motors will work on either 480 or 240 volts.  However, the current draw of the motor doubles at the lower voltage.  In my case I needed to replace the disconnect switch and the motor starter with higher capacity devices.  In addition much of the wiring needed to be replaced with larger sizes.  This  gets to be quite a project for a machine with a 40 horsepower motor.  Smaller motors may be easier.

Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

samandothers

Warren congrats!  Sounds like great progress being made.  I look forward to pictures and visiting one day.

Chuck White

Congratulations Warren!

Looking forward to updates!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

Happy for you!  its always nice when machinery passes the smoke test!    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!