iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Meet Dextre

Started by SwampDonkey, February 25, 2008, 05:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

http://www.space.gc.ca/asc/eng/iss/mss_spdm.asp

Dextre (Special Purpose Dexterous Manipulator).

Dextre is a complex robot designed to perform intricate maintenance and servicing tasks on the outside of the International Space Station (ISS). Dextre will carry out delicate work that, so far, could only be accomplished by astronauts during spacewalk activities. In other words, Dextre will provide an alternative to astronauts, considerably reducing the amount of time that they have to venture out of the ISS to perform demanding spacewalks and providing more time for them to perform science on the ISS.

Launch: Scheduled for March 11, 2008
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don P

QuoteDextre is designed so that only one arm can move at a time in order to avoid self-collision

I hate it when that happens, now I got a name for it  :D

SwampDonkey

I can just hear Jeff laughing in the back ground of one of his infamous animal videos.

:D :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Dextre is alive now, after problems getting power to it at first.

Seems the mission is going well. Going to put some of its limbs together today, as I understand.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

I figured this was about some newly discovered Canadian animal since the  R was in front of the  E.  :D

SwampDonkey

I was listening to the radio the other day. Apparently, in France the French language has been developing a flavor of it's own. Since the landing of the Acadians in the Maritimes, the language has adopted a different accent and new words in France. This person on the radio was an Acadian descendant and was saying he was speaking the language as it was meant to be spoken and the people of France were not speaking it properly. I was just waiting for an Angliphone caller to make a similar comment about English being spoken by someone whose first language was not English. Apparently, there is a similar rivalry with French Quebec and Acadian French as well. My cousins have cousins on their mother's side who went to Rimouski to college and their French was distinctly different. So some complain about English, but it happens with any language.

:-X

WH_Conley

Worked with a crew of Brit's a few years ago, wonderful people, all of them, we kept telling them"speak English", they were, the proper Kings english. Finally, this one little crane operator says "we are, we gave you a perfectly godd language and you ---------"  this a family forum, fill in the rest yourself.
Bill

Dave Shepard

I used to work for a husband and wife that were from South Africa. They kept telling me to speak English, not American. ::) :-X :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Norm

At one of my first international training classes we had a bunch of students from all over the world but a few that had a brit accent. When I asked them what part of GB they were from you'd of thought I called their mother names. They were all from Australia, I never made that mistake again. :D

Thank You Sponsors!