iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of saw is this???

Started by albo4runin, December 08, 2013, 12:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

albo4runin

Hey All,
Need some help on Identifying this saw... Think its a 038av, you can barely make out the AV on the top. The serial number is between the muffler and the bar, it reads 144385706. The local Stihl shop was unable to id this saw. Anybody have any idea's?

[img width=550

albo4runin

Here is a couple more.

Migal

I believe you already know your saw's better then the Dealer's My money would be on the 038AV as well there was on on eBay a while back that I tried to get. Looks like the one used a lot more.
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

joe_indi

It is a Stihl
It is a 038 and not a 028 because the 028 has a 'plastic' fan housing
and, going by the head-on  picture of the dual port muffler, its a Magnum.
Joe

albo4runin

For whatever reason some of these pics are not coming up...

shinnlinger

I'm not sure I would bring it back to that shop.   If they can't even ID that iconic saw, how can they be trusted to work on it?
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

joe_indi

I just remembered that I had uploaded this picture of the muffler cover of the 038 Magnum

AdkStihl

Yes, 038

And don't go back to that shop
J.Miller Photography

albo4runin

Ok, so major consensus is 038. Next one would be? A super, super II, Magnum.
I have posted a pic of the serial number (114385706), and wondering if it is German made or Brazil made and roughly when it was made.
Sorry for all the questions, I need to do a tune up, and fix the throttle linkage as it keeps slipping out of the notch on the carb.
Joe, I believe your right with the muffler for a Magnum, just wanting to make sure so I don't order the wrong parts.

Birchwood Logging

Looks to me like a 038 magnum 2 great saw I have one cuts just as good as my 044 mine is made in west Germany
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

Migal

How's it Run!
                  That will tell ya where it's made.  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

albo4runin

Idle's well.... Cant keep the throttle linkage on the notch on the carb.
When it was on it ran well!

Tom Tinker

I would change dealers it he can not tell you the model of the saw.  Look under the foot pad.  There is a eleven digit number.  If the first four numbers are 1119 it is an 038.  The Magnum has a 52 MM piston.  Tom

Andyshine77

The serial number came up invalid. I've pulled up numbers on older saws, so it was likely never registered. Yes it's an 038.
Andre.

SawTroll

I would want to know the bore diameter before I conclude on which version of the 038 it is.....
Information collector.

deerslayer

Regarding the throttle linkage, I would try lengthening the linkage rod a little. Usually these get bent a bit which in effect "shortens" them. Maybe find a pic or example of a new one so you know what the shape of it is supposed to be. I suspect that will solve your problem. I don't have an 038 so can't shoot you a pic but I bet someone on here could post one up.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

Thank You Sponsors!