iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wife is sick of talking about my mill.

Started by woodjunky, November 24, 2014, 01:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brucer

Quote from: Magicman on November 30, 2014, 07:48:06 AM
Bruce's wife Barb is quite a gal.  She is also a good cook.   food6

Barb says "thanks" Lynn. She was getting a real chuckle reading this topic over my shoulder.

She wanted everyone to know that her dad taught her to recognize every species of tree on their farm by the time she was 3 :). Those were all eastern hardwoods so she had to start over when we moved to BC.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

woodjunky

UPDATE:
So I bought my mill begining of november. Here we are end of march and my wife is so dang sick and tired of listening to me whine and mope around. Cabin fever mixed with sawmill envy... I was a mess...

until...................:)

I saved, and borrowed, and bartered future labor, and borrowed again to get a better mill. My father in law actually wanted to make sure i got a mill that was good for a while. So he said he would give us the difference of what I couldnt afford. So a gift more than borrow I guess. The family rallied for me. again 5 months later. LOL

Going to pick up a used 2000 model lt40 super hydraulic.  Im completely obsessed, to say the least. As soon as the deal was done, I got anxiety that he would back out. lol! He's probabally thinking the same thing. Anyways. This is going to be a much more exciting spring than I ever thought. I bought a Nyle L200 dehumidification kiln a month ago too So I got my work cut out for me.

Peter Drouin

Good for you  8) 8) Don't forget the pics, We want to see it. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

47sawdust

WOW!
That up grade didn't take long.Your FIL is the kind to have......I'm sure his daughter must be alright too.That Hudson looks cold!
Best of luck,spring is just around some corner but not here.4° this a.m.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

78NHTFY

Congrats on the new mill!  You've got the fever and the only solution is NOT more cowbells, it's warm weather so you can saw some boards. :D :D  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

4x4American

8) 8)

Thats quite the upgrade!  That's like going from a Ford to a Chevy!   ;D
Boy, back in my day..

goose63

Quote from: Swatson on December 01, 2014, 08:47:10 PM
My wife glazes over when I talk about milling, woodworking, firewood...you know all the good stuff.  Now as for the training, I would rather walk into a pen of starving tigers wearing a pork chop loin cloth than try to train her.  I would expect that in both scenarios the outcome would be near the same.
That could be very pain full
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

jrose1970

I'm trying hard to keep down envy over that LT40.
"That's like going from a Ford to a Chevy!" What?! :) LOL
Well, I better not say anything. Our Suburban is the best vehicle I've ever seen.
HFE-36; International 424-37HP; McCullogh Pro 10-10

valley ranch

Greetings woodjunky, I can hear your hunger for milling, for seeing and hearing the blade move through the log. We all share that passion. My mill has been waiting for the finishing, just now, before reading this thread, ordered a blade, a single blade, financially embarrassed  at the moment.

We look forward to seeing you open your first log, almost as much as you are. Looks like you've gotten our snow,here in the western mountains, we have only a couple inches, should be 10 ft of pack. Have a good one.

Richard

SawyerBrown

Welcome, woodjunky!  2x the "quite an upgrade!" comment!  Now you have a whole bunch of us jealous!

Have fun!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

woodjunky

LOL! Thanks guys. The upgrade is huge, I know. Its used by manly men, so I dont have to worry about scratching it:). But I'm all in. I will fix it if I have to. The Hudson was suposed to get me started, and hold me over... But it basicly started a overhaul of my life. Im a log builder, and this allows me to offer alot more to my potential customers. Plus you need a diverse income to be self employed up here in the fringe. I can mill and dry for people now. Eventually supply myself with some materials for local home projects. I work alot for Hochstetler log homes, Amish outfit in Ohio. Great product. I am realistic saying it will take a life time to learn to match their quality. A+ and affordable. So I am basicly doing this to do personal projects. But alot of business ideas come daily. Most recent is pre-cut beam roof systems. For the guys who can stack logs and walls, but the math up top throws them off... what you think?

4x4American

"Im a log builder"

Well shoot if you build logs than you're just what I'm looking for!

:D
Boy, back in my day..

jrose1970

Hey Woodjunky,
  Keep us posted. I'm considering self-employment too, but that ol' steady paycheck is just so easy.
I log into FF and look out the window and just dream. At least I have plan B though. My wife and I are full of ideas too. Good luck with the log homes!
HFE-36; International 424-37HP; McCullogh Pro 10-10

YellowHammer

Woodjunky,
You'll love the upgrade.  You think your wife is sick of you talking about your mill now?  She ain't seen (heard) nothing yet! 8)
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Warped

Darn, I thought I have someone to rap with about our HFE-21's....

I had to chuckle about the Black Cherry mystery tree as that's one of the few I can actually identify.....sometimes I get White Birch correct too!
Cherry loves sand where I am, and I love it for smoking butts.....
Good luck with new mill.
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

Thank You Sponsors!