iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sumpthin Stoopid

Started by Jeff, May 19, 2013, 02:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Why oh why does crap like this happen?  Last night I'm in the shower and grab a bar of soap that is layin on the ledge. Not thinking about it I go to scrub some on the side of my head. Turns out the whole underside is "molten" like soft putty, and it fills my ear. Trying to simply wipe it out with the wash cloth must have pushed a big glob deep into my ear. So far and so much I can't hear hardly a thing out of it. If I cover the other ear, I am about deaf.  I've tried irrigating with warm water to melt it, but still can't hear. Tammy looks in it and can't see anything in there now, but there much be a seal in there somewhere.   I've been trying an ear wax removal kit, but this ain't ear wax, so I guess that is why it is not working.  Tammy called urgent care, and the said to lay sideways in a warm tub with the effected ear down in the water. How the heck is that going to help??  I'm using quite warm water to irrigate for long periods with one of those little bulb things and not getting much of anywhere.   This is really getting aggravating. It is a little better than it was a couple hours ago. I put the ear wax removal liquid in, then an ear plug, then went and mowed the yard. Came back and irrigated for ten minutes, and I can hear a little out of it now, but it still really feels plugged.  How stoopid can I be to plug my ear with soap? :-[ :-X :-\
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

Better than some things, I suppose. ::)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

trim4u2nv

I had the same problem when I would scuba dive you need to gently try ear curettes to clear your ears out and maybe some antiistamine for swelling.  Your ear canal can get congested easily.

beenthere

I'd only suggest giving it some rest from all the "remedies" and let it fix itself. Pushing more things in there, like ear plugs etc. can't help IMO.

Now go slap something else, but not the side of your head.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

Maybe some swimmers ear drops would work.

pigman

Put a bug in your year. The bug will not get rid of the soap, but it will make you forget about not hearing.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

doctorb

Kids get all kinds of things stuck in their ears, so the medical community is used to this scenario.   My suggestion is to GENTLY irrigate with warm water.  No Q-tips.  Nothing narrower than a finger.  If it doesn't solve itself, they have special tools for scraping stuff out of ear canals.  May mean a visit to the ENT doc if your primary care or your ER isn't skilled at it.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Fla._Deadheader

Most bar soaps contain glycerin. Get some liquid glycerin, Available here in grocery stores and pharmacies,put it in the ear and lay down on the opposite side, so the glycerin works on the soap. In bed, lay ON the side that is blocked, and see if the soap eases out.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

I stood in the shower for a half hour tonight letting warm water hit directly in my ear canal. I now am sure there is water in there too as I can not hearas well as I could before I went in. I'll be calling my primary care doc in the morning and see what they want me to do.  I used to go in regular to get my ears flushed because of working in sawdust and wearing ear plugs all day long results in the eventual need.  This seems different. This ear drum had a hole in it a few years ago, so I need to be careful.

from july 2005

Quote from: Jeff date=1120953126
NOT GOOD!

outer ear infection antibiotics did not stop the "otitis externa" it progressed to become "otitis media".  The infection weakend my right eardrum to the point that it burst earlier in the week. I cant here much at all out of the right ear and the left is very inflamed and full of fluid.  I found out exactly how much hearing I have lost at this point this morning. (please excuse the example, but it is telling)  I was standing taking a leak in the bathroom, and I can't hear it hit the water. :-\ (And yes, I was hitting the target.) :D

I have big troubles if I dont regain some hearing as this gets better. THey have me on a big time antibiotic that has all kinds of restrictions including no sun, not milk, not vitamins, all kinds of crazy stuff. Big one is NO SUN EXPOSURE. :'(

metalspinner

Wax Vac.  I saw it on an infomercial and bought one for my sister as a funny gag gift.  She is infatuated with bodily fluids - especially ones she can get too by popping something. :-\ 

She tried it on several willing participants. It's a strange feeling to say the least. :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

thecfarm

I had ALOT of trouble with my ears growing up. I don't stick nothing in my ears and if I have trouble off to the doctors I go.
I did have one ear plugged up years ago. I woke up at 4 am one morning and wondered why the alarm did not go off 15 minutes earlier.I lifted my head off the pillow and the alarm was going off. That's weird. I put my head back down and the alarm went off,lifted,back on,head on pillow off. I did this a couple times before my foggy brain woke up,my left ear was plugged. I had a hard time at work that day. Everyone had to get on my right side to talk to me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I can't help you with the problem Jeff, but at least folks can pick on you instead of me for a while anyway.   :-\   I know....ain't funny.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

giant splinter

I wonder why no sun, whatever you do be careful with your ears Jeff, this can happen to anyone.
roll with it

ancjr

When I was 18 I suddenly went deaf in one ear not unlike you describe.  A trip to the old country doctor and a flush with a big plunger full of saltwater yielded a solid plug of earwax about 3/4" long.

Jeff

An Ear flush this morning, and I can hear again. A bit sore, but at least I can hear.

WmFritz

I wouldn't let on to momma that I can hear better. I'd milk it for a few days. :) :D :D :)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

crtreedude

I get something like this ever so often and I hate to admit to what I do, but it works well.

No one do this and complain to me afterward, you have to be CAREFUL and probably only works with my ears anyway.

I take a wooden tooth pick, chew on it until one end is good and spongy, then that I gentle push in. Q-tips just compact the wax, but for some reason, this works to make it so I can hear again.

Once I got it really bad after swimming and had to go to a doctor to get the plug out. Oh well.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Magicman

I keep thinking "what if" we breathed out of our ears.  Tiny Bubbles.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Raider Bill

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on May 20, 2013, 06:06:26 PM

Ear Candles

These were a fad around here about 10-12 years ago.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!